Do Hard Criminals Deserve a Second Chance??

We've all seen the movie Shawshank Redemption and we really felt for Red who murdered somebody when he was just a teenager and ended up spending 40 years inside.

I'm pretty sure everyone who has seen this movie forgave him. Yet we don't even know the details of the murder he committed. Did he shoot a store clerk or did he bash a babies brains in who was crying? Did he strangle a girl during a gang rape? We are never told what it was but we awesome it was just a normal, forgivable murder.

My question is, in your personal world, could you ever forgive a murderer? Example, somebody shoots your son or daughter. They spend 35 years for negligent homicide or whatever. They come out. Do you forgive them? Do you believe that with enough time all crimes are forgivable?

Could a baby rapist ever be forgiven? Phone Post 3.0

Never Phone Post 3.0

http://media.nola.com/tpphotos/photo/2014/04/-3fd07da5c4d447b8.jpg Phone Post 3.0

I awesome you meant assume? Phone Post 3.0

IronHands - I awesome you meant assume? Phone Post 3.0
Lol yeah it autocorrected Phone Post 3.0

"They deserve 1000 chances. Let them all out of prison."

- State of CA

like...a young, stupid kid who committed a terrible crime?

Criminals aren't hard on the first try, they've had 100's if not 1000's of chances. Phone Post 3.0

Magic Mago - Criminals aren't hard on the first try, they've had 100's if not 1000's of chances. Phone Post 3.0
Generally speaking of course. Phone Post 3.0

I saw "Hard criminals" and thought this thread was about something else....such a let down Phone Post 3.0

In. Interesting thread Phone Post 3.0

I would forgive them as the life slipped from their body, either by the state's doing or my own.

I think even hard core criminals should have a chance at redemption depending on the crime and how seriously they take their rehabilitation.

It very much depends on the circumstances and what you mean by a second chance. Phone Post

No. But hard criminals shouldn't be in prison. Trial...2 appeals....within 5 years death. Sooner if it's a cut and dry case with witnesses DNA confession Phone Post 3.0

Murderers and Rapist no.
Now we've accidentally killed people, and for that there should be second chances b Phone Post 3.0

MrFluffyHippo - Murderers and Rapist no.
Now we've accidentally killed people, and for that there should be second chances b Phone Post 3.0

the royal "we" King Hippo?

Vehicular homicide, accidental deaths and shit like that is one thing. But first degree murder and rape, fuck them. Phone Post 3.0

As people get older and their hormones stabilize I think some people can mellow out. You can't really make a one size fits all for every case. The biggest problem would actually be reintegrating these people to the outside world successfully. The US most likely does not have the right tools or political willpower to do that though.

The US doesn't have the right population to do that. We are the pound-for-pound world champions of completely useless, worthless humanity.