Do I have the wrong attitude?

I guess you guys are right.

Afterall if I took BJJ, I would expect to get my arm cranked.

I guess I was just a bit upset, because during the class we were doing cut kicks off a high roundhouse, and within the first 2 minutes, I got kicked twice in the private parts by that guy

-Tony

The respect for your opponents in the practice is important and the strikes are part of the game,but no full power in training, in a championship is diferent.
I think it is necesary jkd guy but step by step,take it easy the strikes, good training.

When i started training savate there were two different classes, one for beginners or for people who only wants to know the basic of boxe francaise (light contact) and one for fighters or "wannabe" fighters (full contact).
I think there's nothing wrong to learn only the style without being hit hard, it's a personal choice.
By the way in my first full contact training a guy broke my nose with a big punch, but i was prepared for that.

Claudio

Tony, I have to agree with everyone else here. But then again, I LOVE getting hit hard, it lets me know I'm alive.

If, God forbid, you ever have to defend yourself, you damn skippy better be used to taking a punch or a kick. My training partners and I hit each other fairly hard even during drills, and spar at maybe 60-70% or full power a few times a week. Obviously, if someone's got a fight coing up, the intensity goes up too.

You cannot learn Muay Thai without hitting and getting hit, just as you can't learn boxing that way. You will have an empty shell of an art that will only get you hurt if you try and use it for real. It is a little uncomfirtable at first, but you'll get used to it surprisingly quickly.

Good luck and good training!

I think the boxers here have covered everything I would have said. If you take a class in anything, I think you should accept the precepts of that class and try your best to do well within those constraints. Wether that be BJJ, Muay Thai, cooking or computer programming. This is what I believe to be the JKD mindset.
Of course, if you don't like the class and you aren't gaining what you'd hoped for, there is no dishonor in not doing something that you don't enjoy.

Reg.

jkd guy, no one plans on getting hit in the abs, they just do. (no one plans on getting punched in the head either). If you are fighting continuous rounds full contact over a long period time, it's inevitable that you will take body shots once in a while. Conditioning your body then, is a good idea i think.

simply put, you should hit your partner at the level he is hitting you. if you are REALLY worried about the contact, ask him after you hit him if it was ok. if he's ok with it, no problem and just keep going.

As usual, KK gets to the bottom of it and explains it more clearly than i could.

I'm definitely not an expert (SEE Sparing thread) but I do think its important to have someone land some good shots on you to 1.) get used to it, 2.) learn how to avoid it, as I pay ALOT more attention when someone catchs my guard down and nails me, and 3.) remind you that you are not in Tae Bo:-)

That said, I don't want to some out with a broken nose every day. Just my $0.02 Take it easy.

K2

I hate to say this, but you do have the wrong attitude. You just have to adjust your thinking.

Even though MOST people who study Muay Thai don't fight, the classes should still be taught with the same intensity.

This is standard fare. Discussing it with your instructor/Kru/Ajarn will not really do you too much good.

Muay Thai is about fighting, and it should be taught that way.

I don't think its a matter of you not being cut out for it, its just a matter of you adjusting your outlook.

When I first took up Muay Thai, I came from a more "traditional martial arts" background. We pulled our punches and kick, we used "control". We were told to do so lest we hurt our training partner because the techniques we were learning were dangerous and could seriously injure or maim someone. So Muay Thai was a difficult adjustment for me too. I had to unlearn a lot.

As long as you use proper technique, and use proper discretion regarding how "hard" you use them during training, then you shouldn't have to worry. If you follow directions and your partner gets hurt anyway, its most likely his fault becuase HE wasn't following instructions.

In Muay Thai, you should always show RESPECT for your opponents and training partners, but there is no room for being NICE.

Khun Kao Charuad; SuriyaSak Muay Thai

I started thai last month, I'm taking it to get great kicks, I will be the first to admit, I have no desire to compete, I do it because I like it, its fun.

Now a few weeks ago, during class we were doing situps, and the instructor went around hitting us in the stomach with the thai pad. I took the hits, but I was thinking "Whats that for"

Yes, I know it gets our abs used to getting hit, but I'm not planning on getting hit in the abs.

Then yesterday we were doing some drills, where you sidestep a kick and throw a counter at the persons back...I was just tapping my partner, but he was hitting me...not full strength but enough to jolt me. Should I have kicked him harder?

I was always told (in the past) that if my training partner gets hurt, etc thats my fault.

So am I not cut out for thai? Since I'm not all "ARGHHH kick hard, take the pain!!"

Should I go to a Tae Bo class instead? lol

-Tony