Do Japanese chefs know they can take breaks?

I pass a few sushi places on my walk from apartment to other places and it never fails that when they're dead I always see a chef just standing looking forward. Not looking at tv, not talking with staff, just standing straight and waiting. Like some sort of robot. Shit I could have two full ovens at work and I'm staring at tv while doing it Phone Post 3.0

Dissiprin Phone Post 3.0

Lol. I have noticed this too. Phone Post 3.0

Did you ever think that maybe they are androids? I mean those japanese are pretty advanced when it comes to new technology.

Bushido Phone Post 3.0

Dedication.

Learn it. Phone Post 3.0

Watch jiro dreams of sushi on netflix. Good doc explains this a bit Phone Post 3.0

Southpaw76 - Watch jiro dreams of sushi on netflix. Good doc explains this a bit Phone Post 3.0
Heard of it. Maybe I'll check it out tonight Phone Post 3.0

I guess you've never heard the term "guarding the sushi" and how you can apply the technique to your own life.

As a sushi cook myself you only see this if the chef is way ahead on his prep supples 

which im always for myself...you never known when you will get a rush and it is far much more so when it comes to sushi 

add that with the fact you only get one shot with a customer to make them happy with sushi you have to make sure everything is perfect every time

so if your seeing a sushi chef just standing there then it most likely means he's not viewing it as a slow night...he just making sure he himself is read for anything 

I can't tell you how many time I have had a slow night and then a party of 15 walks in and then a part of 10 sees this party of 15 walk in and does the same thing

this can keep on for hours...always be ready...always do it right

BruteDion -

As a sushi cook myself you only see this if the chef is way ahead on his prep supples 

which im always for myself...you never known when you will get a rush and it is far much more so when it comes to sushi 

add that with the fact you only get one shot with a customer to make them happy with sushi you have to make sure everything is perfect every time

so if your seeing a sushi chef just standing there then it most likely means he's not viewing it as a slow night...he just making sure he himself is read for anything 

I can't tell you how many time I have had a slow night and then a party of 15 walks in and then a part of 10 sees this party of 15 walk in and does the same thing

Is it correct to put wasabi in soy sauce? Phone Post 3.0

Just give EY a couple hours to google up some Asian work ethic facts then mix a word or two to make it seem like his own knowledge and he'll be right over with your explanation.

armbarring - 
BruteDion -

Is it correct to put wasabi in soy sauce? Phone Post 3.0

If it's Sashimi then the traditional answer is no...that's not how you use it

But honestly dude it's all about what you like

do I do it?...no...for me the Wasabi is to clear your pallets alone and that's how I use it

but I seen Japanese dudes do it all the time....and some say that's not how you use it aswell

its just one of these things where some do it and say "this is how it's done" and other say "no that's not the point of wasabi"

it's like how the Brazilians viewed leg locks back in the day...they hated it but soon as Rickson won a few matches with them, then they started to teach it some

professionalism.

real cooks don't look at their phone or watch TV when they are working.

EVILYOSHIDA - professionalism.

You a lie. Phone Post 3.0

EVILYOSHIDA - professionalism.

They can talk Phone Post 3.0

The whole country is like this in a way, if you have a job you should do it well and act however you are supposed to act, all the time. The level of service here is consistently good, not overly friendly but ridiculously high standard. This is at all levels of the food chain as well, and in the service industry there is no tipping so that doesn't explain it.

EVILYOSHIDA - professionalism.

Even in shitty kitchens I have never seen a TV.

Girly -
Southpaw76 - Watch jiro dreams of sushi on netflix. Good doc explains this a bit Phone Post 3.0
Heard of it. Maybe I'll check it out tonight Phone Post 3.0
Fucking awesome, specially being the industry Girly. Phone Post 3.0