Do the refs check finger nails?

I know bjm used to check nails and would clip them in the octagon.  Seems like they should be cut short so scratching is not possible

Yeah fighters get checked, I think before the walk out. BUT if you think about it, you can easily scratch somebody with freshly cut fingernails. 

should be checked in the back beforehand by any competent athletic commission.

MasterofMartialArts -

Yeah fighters get checked, I think before the walk out. BUT if you think about it, you can easily scratch somebody with freshly cut fingernails. 

Fleshly cut then sanded would make sense.

2 Likes

New policy. Manicures for everyone after the weigh ins!

2 Likes

3 Likes
3fie - 

they need to do a better job.

nails that are cut short and then FILED DOWN dull and rounded need to be mandatory going forward. they need a nail lady on stand by to handle it for all the fighters. toes nails also.

3 Likes
HTMNDN -
3fie - 

nails that are cut short and then FILED DOWN dull and rounded need to be mandatory going forward. they need a nail lady on stand by to handle it for all the fighters. toes nails also.

Do you honestly think he couldn’t have scratched Jeremy’s eye, even if they were cut? Is filing them down a requirement? 

I mean it’s clear he checked the nails, but I don’t know what the protocol is or the exact rule on fingernails. 

I think you’re right that nails SHOULD be filed, as I mentioned it’s sometimes even easier to scratch somebody with trimmed fingernails than with long ones. 

Tim Duncan -
MasterofMartialArts -

Fleshly cut then sanded would make sense.

100%

Winklejohn lost his eye because of a toenail. He mentions it in an Embedded episode a few years ago. 

Las Vegas needs a UFC nailbar, with pictures of all the top fighters and their favourite nail jobs. lol - there's a job for Trigg. perfect owner/operator of said nailbar

Yes when the ref comes in your locker room pre fight... Kim Winslow gave me a brand new pair of clippers for one nail she didn't like....Then they made us piss gloved up in Vegas..

First ever event OP?

they literally show the fighters getting nails, among other things, checked EVERY FIGHT!

1 Like

Checking nails is probably a good thing, but Saturday night not that big of a deal.

BECAUSE Yair couldn't help himself but to gouge the eye in the first fucking exchange of the fight.

This is a fight culture issue. Yair and someone like bones, those pokes are blatant. Needs to be ruled an immediate loss in Saturday's situation.

HTMNDN -
3fie - 

No doubt. With all the health and safety protocols, there should be some sort of manicure policy set in place by now. I have heard Rogan light up guys who need to get their nails clipped at the pre-cage inspection. It is one of the most unprofessional things any fighter, amateur or pro, could do. 

Lights Out Lurker -

Jeff Ford used to train where I was at. He would cut his toe nails into points before a fight......I thought that was pretty scary lol

Scum,  just like that guy on OZ