Do the X-Men Hate Women?

Their name is clearly prejudice as there have been and still are women in the group

why havent the womens gay pride group or something gone after Marvel on this issue?

are geeks and nerds safe cause women just have little interest in what we do?

but the Name

X-Men, shouldnt it be X-People!?!????!

finger hovering over BAN button

u cant handle the truth paw, what that truth is i dont know yet but when im find out I'll let u know

im going to start an online petition for all equal rights for women super hero's and freaks

X-People all the way

ah fuck dat shit, im gonna go get high

The neme comes from all of the women in the group being ex-men.

u cant handle the truth paw, what that truth is i dont know yet but when im find out I'll let u know

Stan Lee explains the origin of the name in one of the special features in the X-Men movie, as I recall.

im going to start an online petition for all equal rights for women super hero's and freaks

Best of luck with that. Presuming that the name "X-Men" is inherently degrading to women is silly. At the time when the X-Men were created, the male pronouns were used to refer to groups of mixed genders. You may as well go through all of Lincoln's speaches and edit them in the same way....

The X-Men's longest and most cannonical run was under the pen of Chris Claremont, a feminist if there ever was one. Claremont is known for strong women characters and has created some of the best in the industry.

Are comics sexist? Has the comic book industry in the US been sexist? One need look no further than the "bad girl" trend in the 90's or Gail Simone's original "Women in Refrigerators" article to make an argument that may have been the case. But now? Comic book companies are actively catering to women with mainstream titles (like Marvel's "all age" titles Spider-Girl and Jubilee) and more women are writing mainstream titles (Gail Simone, for example).

But, by all means, examine the evidence and come to your own conclusion....just make sure you're sober when you do so.

The name men is still the root of the name women. So they are all X-men.

paw, just fucking around man, LOL

one thing u need to know is never take me to seriously hehe

LMAO!

X-XXX, imo.

TF! P?

Emma

Jean

Betsy

Ororo

Rogue

they love the women. once had some women make an argument that all the female characters had huge tits and thin bodies and it was degrading.

WTF, every guy is jacked up with a 8 pack that is why they are super.

Question to paw, Is "Women in Refrigerators" article based off that green Lantern story arc with Major Force?

Question to paw, Is "Women in Refrigerators" article based off that green Lantern story arc with Major Force?

Yes.

The web site may be foud atWomen in Refrigerators

Since being posted on the web, Women in in Refrigerators has misrepresented and misinterpreted by people to make a point. Gail discusses some of the many misconceptions about WiR in her forum at Comicbookresources.com

LOL! wow I liked that issue too! it lead up to the race with GL and Guy Gardner to see who gets to kill Major Force.

that was a damn good issue.

I read WiR.

She has a point. It's understandable. Killing a woman is a good way to piss off the audience. Killing a man is like...... eh.

Peter Parker has lamented over Gwen Stacy for thrity years now, but nobody's crying that much over Harry Osborn.

I do think we need women characters that are more than just T&A.

Unfortunately getting inside the mind of a woman is difficult. The darker side of comics is it shows either the lack of knowledge, or the lack of trust in women in general.

yeah, the only defense I can think of on this issue is that comics are predominatly bought by men. So it needs to appeal to mostly male audiences.

Most women have healthy social lives LOL!!!

I do think we need women characters that are more than just T&A.

Absolutely.

That's one reason I highly recommend Birds of Prey. Strong, intelligent, women in a fun book.

Now I don't know about anyone else, but I'm seeing more and more shojo manga ("girls comics" from japan) in mainstream bookstores. If more and more shojo finds it's way to the US and sells well, that will hopefully impact the industry in a positive way.

Well I guess I can admit this, but I read the Mary Jane comic.

Not a lot of action, Mostly her avoiding Peter and Harry while trying to find out who Spiderman is.

"Most women have healthy social lives LOL!!!"

Yeah lol, and we all know what well adjusted people super heroes are.