Do you consider BJJ matches as "fights"?

Why or why not? Phone Post 3.0

it isn't a "fight" if there is no striking.

Is wrestling a "fight"

No, so why should bjj be considered one?

It is a serious pet peeve of mine when people say they are "fighting" and they are just doing a grappling tournament

No, and I don't think it requires explanation.

no

Someone trying to choke you or break a limb not a fight? Please explain this to me. Phone Post

Sure if boxing is a fight why not grappling? Both have useful aspects of fighting that can wreck somebody but also limit a ton of moves that would be legal in an MMA fight. There was a UFC fight last weekend that ended without either fighter landing a strike.

It's just a technicality anyways though. Phone Post

Any time you add "rules" it becomes a competition and not a fight.

Boxing is not fighting. The original NHB was close, but even it wasn't fighting since you could "tap" or give up at any time and end the situation.

If we are looking at Webster's, you can make a case for it.

there are actually much better arguments here then I thought of

Why do we keep doing this thread? By definition it is in fact a fight. There's nothing you can do about, you can say its not but that just makes you wrong. I never call it a fight because I think it's douchey, but it doesn't change that fact that it is. Phone Post 3.0

nobody does

Nope. Not in my mind anyway.

without the option of striking it is not a fight. Its a contest, hell half.the time there isnt even the.option to slam or leg locks, so you cant even use all of your grappling skills.

The more restrictive the rules the less its a fight. Phone Post

Animal Mother - Why do we keep doing this thread? By definition it is in fact a fight. There's nothing you can do about, you can say its not but that just makes you wrong. I never call it a fight because I think it's douchey, but it doesn't change that fact that it is. Phone Post 3.0

The OP asked, "Do YOU consider BJJ matches as "fight"s?" (emphasis mine) Definitions don't really matter, but I think we can all agree that it is douchey to call it a fight.

Old Thrashbarg - 
Quadzilla7 - 

Someone trying to choke you or break a limb not a fight? Please explain this to me. Phone Post

To me, and i think to the majority of combat sports fans, a "fight" implies being able to utilize any martial art necessary in order to win.

If you say "no kicking or wrestling or choking. Just punching." well that's not really a FIGHT, that's a boxing match.

If you say "no striking at all, no chokes, just pins." that's not a FIGHT, that's a wrestling match.

If you say "no striking or pins, just submissions." that's not a FIGHT, that's a Jiu Jitsu match.

I believe fighting encompasses all aspects of martial arts, all styles of defense and offense. that's what makes it a FIGHT. and by the way, saying that a BJJ match isn't a "fight" does not demean the sport in anyway; its just different.

So we all agree? Fighting is only in the streets. I'm heading out to prepare for my next MMA match.

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - Sure if boxing is a fight why not grappling? Both have useful aspects of fighting that can wreck somebody but also limit a ton of moves that would be legal in an MMA fight. There was a UFC fight last weekend that ended without either fighter landing a strike.

It's just a technicality anyways though. Phone Post

I'd consider boxing more of a fight though i cant come up with many good reasons why, i just do.

Maybe its the more violent nature of the average boxing match compaired with grappling. Phone Post

Old Thrashbarg -
Animal Mother - Why do we keep doing this thread? By definition it is in fact a fight. There's nothing you can do about, you can say its not but that just makes you wrong. I never call it a fight because I think it's douchey, but it doesn't change that fact that it is. Phone Post 3.0

The question isnt, "Does jiu jitsu meet the meriam-webster definition of a fight?"

The questions is "Do you consider a BJJ match a fight?"

well, do you? what is your opinion? why, or why not? Thats the question. and the reason we are having this thread is to have a conversation. so lighten up and contribute.
You're right. I'm just in a bad mood, but I did say I don't. Phone Post 3.0

in basketball do you fight for position to get the rebound?
When you're doing a distance run you fight through mental barriers...
There's grip fighting within the match itself...

Why is everyone trying to get so technical about the word fight? I think old thrashbarg nailed it

Eddies comments about his upcoming rematch with Royler are why I ask...

"Eddie Bravo: You can't predict fights, you know that. I know the only thing I can control is my training, how I approach the fight, and my strategy."

Also, a guy from my BJJ school was talking about how good the "fights" were this weekend and I cringed a little.

I've just known guys who can't handle the striking aspect of a fight, so they strictly trane BJJ. I feel like its just another way they can say they fight without actually having to take any blows or risk much blood shed. Phone Post 3.0

Old Thrashbarg - 
LoganClark - 
Old Thrashbarg - 
Quadzilla7 - 

To me, and i think to the majority of combat sports fans, a "fight" implies being able to utilize any martial art necessary in order to win.

If you say "no kicking or wrestling or choking. Just punching." well that's not really a FIGHT, that's a boxing match.

If you say "no striking at all, no chokes, just pins." that's not a FIGHT, that's a wrestling match.

If you say "no striking or pins, just submissions." that's not a FIGHT, that's a Jiu Jitsu match.

I believe fighting encompasses all aspects of martial arts, all styles of defense and offense. that's what makes it a FIGHT. and by the way, saying that a BJJ match isn't a "fight" does not demean the sport in anyway; its just different.

So we all agree? Fighting is only in the streets. I'm heading out to prepare for my next MMA match.

...I'm confused. Are you implying that i was trying to say only street fights count as real "fights"? Because i cant imagine how you got that from what i said.

You pointed out that you don't consider various forms of combat to be fighting because they have particular rules that limit certain techniques. In MMA we are not allowed to do a variety of things. My primary martial art specializes in elbowing and kneeing the back of the head, especially if the person is on the ground; attacking the groin, throat, and eyes; and our secret weapon...hair pulling.

Obviously I don't believe this is the case for everyone, but I never see anyone who tranes and competes in both UFC and BJJ refer to their BJJ matches as ""fights", though. Phone Post 3.0