Do You Even Watch TV Bro?

On average, Americans get 189 cable TV channels and only watch 17

A new Nielsen report raises questions about the channel-bundling system.

In a blog post on Tuesday, Nielsen reported that on average, US homes receive 189.1 TV channels, but viewers only watch 17.5 of those channels.

Nielsen's blog post today showed that the number of cable channels in an average US household has grown dramatically over the last five years, but the number of channels that viewers actually watch has hardly changed at all. In 2008, US households received an average of 129.3 channels but only actually viewed 17.3 channels. In 2013, the number of channels received increased 46 percent, but the number of channels viewed only increased 1 percent.

The data, Nielsen says, "substantiates the notion that more content does not necessarily equate to more channel consumption. And that means quality is imperative--for both content creators and advertisers."

The cause of stagnant channel-tuning may not just be about poor-quality channels; competition from new services surely plays a part as well. Cord-cutters have long called for the unbundling of channels from cable subscriptions, and as services like Netflix, iTunes, and set-top boxes with content-specific apps gain market share, it has become easier to ditch old-school cable TV if the bills get too high or consumers feel like they're paying for a product they don't want.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/05/on-average-americans-get-189-cable-tv-channels-and-only-watch-17/

live sports is the only thing that keeps me subscribed to cable.

Which is why everyone should cut the cord to force these companies to change there business model. Why would anyone pay for TV anymore anyhow? Cord cutting offers a system designed by you which is based on your personal likes and no commercials.

nimitivd - live sports is the only thing that keeps me subscribed to cable.
This. Precisely this.

I've got a 17mbps internet connection and any live stream i access through the usual nefarious means is unwatchable to me on a 65 inch hdtv. This is compared to the Crystal clear hd broadcast my cable provider has.

I'm in Australia Phone Post 3.0

I cut cable or this reason.  I was spending about $100 for the HD package, no premiums or additional sport channels.  My bill was about $145 once the high speen internet was factored in.

Wives keep men from cutting cords.

Guys don't mind Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, for most needs and watching tv by way of PS3 or PS4/Roku/etc or computer to tv by hdmi.

Wives don't like any of that.

Wives like "setting up the DVR" to record 12 weeks of bullshit and only having to use the remote to access "their shows".

Single men would cut cords like a motherfucker.

It's wives and kids that keep cable companies going as much as live sports does. Phone Post 3.0

JeffersonDArcyChoke - Wives keep men from cutting cords.

Guys don't mind Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, for most needs and watching tv by way of PS3 or PS4/Roku/etc or computer to tv by hdmi.

Wives don't like any of that.

Wives like "setting up the DVR" to record 12 weeks of bullshit and only having to use the remote to access "their shows".

Single men would cut cords like a motherfucker.

It's wives and kids that keep cable companies going as much as live sports does. Phone Post 3.0

My setup exceeds any cable company's program lineup. More shows worth watching because I pick them, no commercials, no bill, infinite amount of movies. Hell she could make her own playlist of shows she only likes to watch and she can watch them any time.

Any woman would be infinitely happier with a cord cutting setup.