Do you get NERVOUS about calling out of WORK?

I worked at Sam's club when I was around 19 running the overnight crew. I got sick after doing my job and the freezer cooler guys job for a week. I was going to tell them I was fucking exhausted and needed to get a couple days rest, but instead I told them I hated working there and quit. Only time I ever called in sick to a job lol 

Worked my old job for 10 years and only called in once for the birth of my child. I've worked here for 1 year this week and called off 8 times. Don't care now once I seen how everyone else was calling off 4 or 5 times a month. They like me and I'm good at my job so nobody cares.

giblert mendelez -

Worked my old job for 10 years and only called in once for the birth of my child. I've worked here for 1 year this week and called off 8 times. Don't care now once I seen how everyone else was calling off 4 or 5 times a month. They like me and I'm good at my job so nobody cares.

You can call in once a week at your job? Wtf? 

Paid time off is one of the benefits of my job, therefore it's mine to use when I need/want. If my employer doesn't like it, they can suck it.

I have like 700 sick hours saved up. Maybe I'll try it.

Not at all, I only feel shit when I have a lot on. I only feel shit because it will fuck me up for the next day

William H Macy -
giblert mendelez -

Yeah we get 12 sick days, 20 days vac, and 4 floating holidays. It's almost impossible to actually schedule and get vacation time, so people just call in through the year to use it all since they don't pay out for it.

ltr

Most respectable places would rather you stay home while sick so you don't infect the rest of the workplace.

I call out sick like it's my fucking job. 

Don't even need to call in most of the time, if I am not teaching I don't even go in and just do what I like. Academia rocks :-D. 

Crooked NYer - Most respectable places would rather you stay home while sick so you don't infect the rest of the workplace.

True, nothing worse than someone coming in sick as passing it about. 

No. I don't abuse sick leave like some my coworkers do. We work in shifts and guys will call in on a holiday weekend causing someone from the previous shift to get held over. Then they'll show up the following day pretending to have a sniffle. The biggest piece of shit at my work does this constantly. He recently faked a back injury right before Christmas getting all of the holidays off. I guarantee he's been fishing several times per week since he's been gone. I hope they have an investigator on his ass.

i do mine on a computer. never done it unexpectedly though. As a teacher, i have to have sub plans, so it kind of ruins the whole thing

giblert mendelez -
William H Macy -
giblert mendelez -

Yeah we get 12 sick days, 20 days vac, and 4 floating holidays. It's almost impossible to actually schedule and get vacation time, so people just call in through the year to use it all since they don't pay out for it.

Math isn't adding up. 

ufc98newb -

i do mine on a computer. never done it unexpectedly though. As a teacher, i have to have sub plans, so it kind of ruins the whole thing

Teacher? 

Usually no, but a few years ago i was traveling with my boss for a high level relationship management meeting.  It was an important meeting for me.  Got the flu on the flight on my way out to the meeting.  Went to a clinic the morningnof feeling half dead.  Was diagnosed with the flu.  Sent boss the test results and said theres no way i can go.  She was cool with it but i felt like i was cheating some how.  Longest ive ever slept straight, 20 hrs.

I won't call off if I have something big going on, but otherwise I don't care.

William H Macy -
giblert mendelez -
William H Macy -
giblert mendelez -

Math isn't adding up. 

Yeah it's not 5 times every single month was probably exaggerating. But it's multiple times per month and everyone does it. We do have people that use up all there time and take unpaid time off towards the end of the year calling in "sick"

I've rarely been sick enough to call in. Unless you have severe flu symptoms you can suck it up and go to work if work needs to be done. If I worked with food or customer service I would probably call in more.

The few times I called in "sick" were at jobs that sucked and I didn't give a fuck about and I just wanted the day off. I normally don't bullshit or lie as a rule, and I suck at it, but in that situation I would just say I was sick as a formality. Always an awkward phone conversation with the boss.

"Hey, just letting you know I won't be in today."

"Why? Are you sick?"

"Oh yeah. I'm sick. Very sick."

long pause as we both know I'm lying and I don't give a fuck so boss decides not to bother to try and give me any shit.

"Alright. See you tomorrow."

Then the next day they always ask "Feeling better today?" like a passive-aggressive way of reminding me I bullshitted out of coming in.

"Oh yea. Like a million bucks."