Do you give $ at wedding to cover expenses?

Whenever I go to a wedding I always give enough to pay for me and my dates food. I figure its about 50 to 100 per plate. I personally think its not very nice to give 50 bucks for a family of 5.

Weddings shouldnt be a money maker but dont want to be a burden either.

Nope

I give money too but seeing that letter from the chick saying weddings are supposed to make money was infuriating. If you need those people to pay you, then don't invite so many people.

My wife and I went to her brothers best friends wedding a year before our wedding. We were not well off financially at that point but made sure we gave them 200 as a gift bc a close family friend. Then for our wedding a year later they gave us 40...hes a union carpenter and she's an accountant, I refuse to ever give more than 100 at any wedding no matter how close we are or how much I can afford.

Going to a wedding in June. Giving 1k.

opieandjimmy - 
ShanTheMan - I give money too but seeing that letter from the chick saying weddings are supposed to make money was infuriating. If you need those people to pay you, then don't invite so many people.
Ooooh I gotta see this letter.

Yeah the dude and his family were broke, so they made a gift basket with a couple dvds, popcorn, candy etc for like a family movie night or something. The gal sent an angry "thank you" note saying how couples get married to make money.

If we're close I'll give more

ShanTheMan -
opieandjimmy - 
ShanTheMan - I give money too but seeing that letter from the chick saying weddings are supposed to make money was infuriating. If you need those people to pay you, then don't invite so many people.

Yeah the dude and his family were broke, so they made a gift basket with a couple dvds, popcorn, candy etc for like a family movie night or something. The gal sent an angry "thank you" note saying how couples get married to make money.

What's the odds that marriage last more then two years?

Weddings aren't a necessity. I don't feel any need to cover the expenses of someone's wedding. I'll give a wedding gift but it has no correlation to what the wedding costs.

WEeddings in NY and NJ are so expensive

Typical places around here are 200 a plate to start

I want to see this letter

Fuck no.  Just like i don't ask people to pitch in when i invite them over for a dinner party.

I give a wedding gift off the registry.  If you can't afford to feed the guest and provide entertainment, don't invite them...

In 1993 I bought 100 toasters in bulk, I've been giving them as wedding gifts ever since. I have about 24 left.

Hoyce Chopino - My wife and I went to her brothers best friends wedding a year before our wedding. We were not well off financially at that point but made sure we gave them 200 as a gift bc a close family friend. Then for our wedding a year later they gave us 40...hes a union carpenter and she's an accountant, I refuse to ever give more than 100 at any wedding no matter how close we are or how much I can afford.

$40 is not a gift, its a message.  That message can be translated as "Go Fuck Yourself".  I've done that before, and years later am ashamed of it.  

It was one of my best friends, who was my bestman at my wedding.  His wife and I dont see eye to eye.  It was more a slight to her, but he was collateral damage.  Living in CA, most of our bachelor parties end up taking place in Vegas.  It's kinda become customary for all of us to chip in and hand the bachelor some fuckabouts money so he doesnt have to spend a dime of his own money all weekend (this is in addition to paying for the flight/hotel/meals/whores/drugs/etc... of course).  it was a smaller party this time around with 5 other guys.  All 5 of us kicked in $200 each so he had $1,000 to mess around with.  He put that $1,000 in his pocket and DID NOTHING.  Didnt gamble at all.  Didnt want to go to the club.  Refused to go to the strip club.  I'm talking nothing.  Later I found out that he didnt do anything because his fiance (knowing we would give him money) told him not to spend that money because they needed it to help pay their bills.  Fuck that thieving whore.

I will usually gift $500-1000 if its a good friend, but for him I took $300 out of the ATM in dirty $20 bills, stuck it in an envelope, and called it a day.  

The amount depends on the crowd, but you should probably try to cover the plate cost for yourself and any one you brought. 

Now to go off into Larry David land, WTF is with people having weddings in random locales like Mexico or Hawaii and still expecting a wedding gift? They have this warped sense of reality where the trip isn't really a gift for them (the couple) since they (the invitee) are going on a cool vacation at the same time. They have no concept of the fact that maybe these people wouldn't have taken a trip to Mexico in July or stayed at an overpriced resort as part of the group deal. 

My cousin was so worried about our poor family members complaining when they weren't invited to her local wedding that she went and booked a resort in Mexico that cost about 2k a person to have the wedding there. That way she could invite these broke people and it wasn't her fault when they couldn't afford it. It (obviously) backfired when people she actually wanted to go also couldn't afford it. I just gave them $500 and said if I went I'd only give $100 so they should just be happy they made some cash out of the deal instead of me throwing the money away on the resort. Oh, and she had a registry and constantly updated her FB profile to let people know what was still needed.

TheMMAn -

Fuck no.  Just like i don't ask people to pitch in when i invite them over for a dinner party.

I give a wedding gift off the registry.  If you can't afford to feed the guest and provide entertainment, don't invite them...

Outside of the bride and grooms parents nobody gives a fuck that you're getting married and no one wants to spend their Saturday attending it. Even if the gf ever convinced me to have a wedding I would refuse to invite any of my friends. Because they're my friends and I like them.

no, usually just a gift but usually equal to the cost of dinner 75-100 bucks.

^^per person

UGCTT_mojodmonky -
Hoyce Chopino - My wife and I went to her brothers best friends wedding a year before our wedding. We were not well off financially at that point but made sure we gave them 200 as a gift bc a close family friend. Then for our wedding a year later they gave us 40...hes a union carpenter and she's an accountant, I refuse to ever give more than 100 at any wedding no matter how close we are or how much I can afford.

$40 is not a gift, its a message.  That message can be translated as "Go Fuck Yourself".  I've done that before, and years later am ashamed of it.  

It was one of my best friends, who was my bestman at my wedding.  His wife and I dont see eye to eye.  It was more a slight to her, but he was collateral damage.  Living in CA, most of our bachelor parties end up taking place in Vegas.  It's kinda become customary for all of us to chip in and hand the bachelor some fuckabouts money so he doesnt have to spend a dime of his own money all weekend (this is in addition to paying for the flight/hotel/meals/whores/drugs/etc... of course).  it was a smaller party this time around with 5 other guys.  All 5 of us kicked in $200 each so he had $1,000 to mess around with.  He put that $1,000 in his pocket and DID NOTHING.  Didnt gamble at all.  Didnt want to go to the club.  Refused to go to the strip club.  I'm talking nothing.  Later I found out that he didnt do anything because his fiance (knowing we would give him money) told him not to spend that money because they needed it to help pay their bills.  Fuck that thieving whore.

I will usually gift $500-1000 if its a good friend, but for him I took $300 out of the ATM in dirty $20 bills, stuck it in an envelope, and called it a day.  

This sounds like a cheapass friend of mine from grade school. My family did alot of day trips in the summer so I'd bring a random friend usually. This guy would always get $20-$40 from his mom for the day for food, arcades, etc., but then he'd act like he wasn't hungry or didn't want to get anything all day so he could pocket the money. My mom would always end up buying him lunch and giving him tokens for games or whatever til I told her he was just cheap, and we stopped inviting him.

opieandjimmy -
ShanTheMan -
opieandjimmy - 

That cunt should die in a bus accident.
This.

Her poor husband.