Do you have anxiety?

If so how bad, and when does it occur? Phone Post 3.0

No.

I have concerns and stress about work and life, but it does not effect my day to day life in a major way (i.e. if I am feeling stressed I'll go for a walk or to the driving range)

I think alot of people with anxiety think about things that are simply out of thier control and have trouble coming to terms with the fact that things will happen regardless of what they do or don't do. I tell my wife all the time that the only control we have in situations is our reactions, so that's all we can prepare.

I see people all the time say that they have "anxiety" but I don't think they understand how crippling it is to suffer from the actual mental health disorder that it is. Phone Post 3.0

I use to have anxiety in pretty much any public setting - extended family get togethers, meeting new people, going to the movies, etc, etc.

Then I had to do work for 4 years which involved me speaking in front of large audiences (usually around 30 but sometimes up to 300) made up of professionals that often asked questions. That itself would have been enough to help me get rid of general anxiety I think... but there was one moment in particular where my work was attacked by a very smart person and I had to defend myself in a room full of smart people - literally a nightmare for me. Instead of tucking my dick I decided to go after the pretentious douchebag and not only defend myself but go on the offensive. (I had already decided I would do this in advance, after previously seeing my colleague get embarrassed by a similar douchey move.)

Anyway - 4 years of talks helped me get over some of the general anxiety I had. However THAT particular moment where I went head to head with that fat fuck is the moment my anxiety disappeared.

I'll occasionally still get nervous or what not but its no longer that debilitating feeling. Phone Post 3.0

Everyone has anxiety at some point. For some it's public speaking, others it might be speaking to women. Its a natural reaction. Unless you have it all day every day, it shouldn't be treated. Phone Post 3.0

I have anxiety problems when I don't exercise within a weeks time. The nervous energy gets burned out when I lift and roll so if I haven't trained in a week I get nervous, irritable, and discontent in all areas of my life. After 2-3 days of not working out my wife is forcing me to go to the gym, and when I get home all is well Phone Post 3.0

CanadaDry - I use to have anxiety in pretty much any public setting - extended family get togethers, meeting new people, going to the movies, etc, etc.

Then I had to do work for 4 years which involved me speaking in front of large audiences (usually around 30 but sometimes up to 300) made up of professionals that often asked questions. That itself would have been enough to help me get rid of general anxiety I think... but there was one moment in particular where my work was attacked by a very smart person and I had to defend myself in a room full of smart people - literally a nightmare for me. Instead of tucking my dick I decided to go after the pretentious douchebag and not only defend myself but go on the offensive. (I had already decided I would do this in advance, after previously seeing my colleague get embarrassed by a similar douchey move.)

Anyway - 4 years of talks helped me get over some of the general anxiety I had. However THAT particular moment where I went head to head with that fat fuck is the moment my anxiety disappeared.

I'll occasionally still get nervous or what not but its no longer that debilitating feeling. Phone Post 3.0

I want to know more about the midget that heckled you and how you insulted him in front of everyone. And why are midgets so angry all the time??

MDubya - No.

I have concerns and stress about work and life, but it does not effect my day to day life in a major way (i.e. if I am feeling stressed I'll go for a walk or to the driving range)

I think alot of people with anxiety think about things that are simply out of thier control and have trouble coming to terms with the fact that things will happen regardless of what they do or don't do. I tell my wife all the time that the only control we have in situations is our reactions, so that's all we can prepare.

I see people all the time say that they have "anxiety" but I don't think they understand how crippling it is to suffer from the actual mental health disorder that it is. Phone Post 3.0

Agreed, it's usually about stuff out of my control. I wouldn't say I have daily anxiety but sometimes life can get a little overwhelming. 

my whole life. im 28 and have learnt to deal with it but it was a real problem in my early 20s. meds are a short term solution only in my experience Phone Post 3.0

If I go out and drink heavily I tend to have pretty bad anxiety the next day Phone Post 3.0

rudiger - my whole life. im 28 and have learnt to deal with it but it was a real problem in my early 20s. meds are a short term solution only in my experience Phone Post 3.0

This

In Phone Post 3.0

Yeah I've got it really bad and it's tied in with depression
200mg of sertaline a day but it doesn't really do much besides make me sleepy and lethargic Phone Post 3.0

Ted Wasanasan -
jackbone - Everyone has anxiety at some point. For some it's public speaking, others it might be speaking to women. Its a natural reaction. Unless you have it all day every day, it shouldn't be treated. Phone Post 3.0

It's not that simple jackbone, what you're talking about is natural and it's labeled anxiety, but in reality it's not anxiety. Some people have real anxiety 24/7/365, and it's not about public speaking. If it was just that simple LOL. Anxiety digs deep into your most darkest part of your brain. There's people that have anxiety, where their worried that they are going to kill their families in the middle of the night, others have driving anxiety, where they think they are going to have a horrific morbid car accident, with death, explosions. These scenarios are stuck in a loop in your brain, and no mattr what you try to think of, it all goes back to these dark thoughts. Its like your brain is in a never ending loop of darkness. So no Jackbone, not everyone has anxiety.
Spot on Phone Post 3.0

Ohh shit, i hope not !!!

Most anxiety is normal. Those who say they don't get it on occasion are liars, or drug users--and we all know drug users are liars. So, there's your answer. In addition, please note that I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

Badassmohugger -
CanadaDry - I use to have anxiety in pretty much any public setting - extended family get togethers, meeting new people, going to the movies, etc, etc.

I want to know more about the midget that heckled you and how you insulted him in front of everyone. And why are midgets so angry all the time??

You lost me my friend.  There was no midget.  Unless I am remembering incorrectly.

viorage - In, get ready for the bashers who think it can be controlled Phone Post 3.0

All I can tell you is that previously the anxiety I got was overwhelming - i.e. sleepless nights, inability to focus on anything else, etc.  This would start occurring 3-4 days before the 'event'.

Now that I've been through those situations, and experienced the worst things that can possibly happen, I no longer get the type of anxiety I outlined above.  I do think about the even a little bit.  I do get nervous a little bit.  I may think about it at night a little bit.  But it's definitely 'controlled' in the sense that its impact on my life is maybe 5-10% o what it used to be.

Based on my experience I believe that if you took people with social anxiety and convinced them to walk into a crowded theater in nothing but a speedo and do a song and dance, that at least some of them, would no longer get the level of anxiety that they would normally get when going out for dinner or having to go visit extended family. 

But wtf do I know.

Ive had it most of my life. Started getting treated for it a couple years ago when my mom got sick. She has severe dementia and seeing her bedridden and taking care of her pushed my anxiety over the flood gate.

Now Im on xanax 2mg bars. Before I got some kind of help I could never sleep at night and my mind was on warp drive. Phone Post 3.0

I get anxiety quite often and it comes out of nowhere, it's usually if I become aware that other people are listening to a conversation I'm having and I'll suddenly become self concious, like I'm in an office talking to a colleague about something and then I realize nobody else in the office is talking and there's like a 20 person audience Phone Post 3.0

UGCTT_VA757_GJTT - Ive had it most of my life. Started getting treated for it a couple years ago when my mom got sick. She has severe dementia and seeing her bedridden and taking care of her pushed my anxiety over the flood gate.

Now Im on xanax 2mg bars. Before I got some kind of help I could never sleep at night and my mind was on warp drive. Phone Post 3.0
Can I ask how often you take xanax? One of my best friends just got off them and went through horrible seizure filled withdrawals. Had to be hospitalized, but he was abusing them in a major way. Also how well does it work? Thanks. Phone Post 3.0