Do you put Salt on a Steak before you cook it?

I hear some debate on this from chefs.

Some say only grill the meat with pepper only and then salt it when it comes out and before serving.

I always rub mine with a coarse sea salt or kosher and fresh cracked peppercorns.

You nerds?

I salt and pepper liberally a few minutes before I cook them

I season the shit outta my steaks with salt and pepper before cooking them. 

If you are using extremely high temps, then stay away from pepper. It turns very bitter.

I sprinkle a little truffles and salt first then pepper.

No oil for me

i salt but not until just before putting it on the fire

salt will draw moisture up from the flesh, which is what you do not want if you want a juicy steak

coarse salt for the crust with bite

cbia - If you are using extremely high temps, then stay away from pepper. It turns very bitter.

Hmm I never thought about this...I use a smoking pan. So it’s very very hot. Usually salt and pepper on a room temp steak. Then I add garlic and thyme to the pan. Then finish it with butter, wait til it’s bubbling and baste the bollocks out of it. 

Let that baby rest for a while and it’s usually pretty awesome. Never noticed the pepper being bitter but maybe I’m just drowning out the flavour with garlic/thyme or something

I burn butter and cook the steaks in that.

-dhughes

grow up

salt an pepper for 20 mine pre

perfect

Montreal steak spice. Awesome.

Weber's Chicago Steak Seasoning before.

ithurts11 -

I suck my dogs cock 

This guy gets it

I use course salt and pepper, and let it get to room temp.  Then bbq on high, 4-5 minutes a side.

I could eat a steak every day.

Cavenders, if you like the outback taste. I don't put it on prime cuts, but it's good

I brush mine in ketchup before cooking then put more ketchup on while cooking and dip it in ketchup before consuming. 

Slather it with A1 sauce BEFORE cooking, always cook it well done!

clattymine - 

I brush mine in ketchup before cooking then put more ketchup on while cooking and dip it in ketchup before consuming. 

this muthafucka right herr

I eat my steak well done and f*ck anyone who complains about it.