Do you really NEED IBJJF recognition?

If you're a legitimate Black Belt, under a legitimate lineage, do you need to be recognized by the IBJJF to teach and rank your students?

Can you promote someone to Black Belt if you are not a 2nd Degree, and they be legitimate?

The affiliation thread had me thinking about a lot of things.

Chango

I'm a purple belt, and have belonged to three gyms in my six years. Two were ibjjf, one was not. I wouldn't, and don't give a flying donkey dick if my instructor is certified by them. Nor would I care if my future black belt is ibjjf recognized.

They are ONLY good for bringing talented competition together. But then they restrict submissions, and positions, even at blackbelt, and hurt the sport in the process. Hopefully other tournaments gain prestige and render them obsolete in the future. Phone Post 3.0

I'm a black belt and not certified. My coach who promoted me works for ibjjf even. I'm not second degree yet

I know a lot of black belts who promote and teach who aren't registered for ibjjf. Phone Post 3.0

It really isn't necessary. As a coach you are likely going to attract like minded students to your gym culture. If you yourself aren't ibjjf competition minded then odds are you aren't going to attract a super competitor to train with you. If you did they would likely leave eventually for a more competition oriented gym Phone Post 3.0

iqwrestler - I'm a purple belt, and have belonged to three gyms in my six years. Two were ibjjf, one was not. I wouldn't, and don't give a flying donkey dick if my instructor is certified by them. Nor would I care if my future black belt is ibjjf recognized.

They are ONLY good for bringing talented competition together. But then they restrict submissions, and positions, even at blackbelt, and hurt the sport in the process. Hopefully other tournaments gain prestige and render them obsolete in the future. Phone Post 3.0
Voted up. Phone Post 3.0

It's just a money grab, says nothing about the legitimacy of rank, skill, teaching ability, or anything meaningful. Phone Post 3.0

I didn't bother, but I don't plan to compete IBJJF anytime soon (or maybe ever). It's really not a priority for me.

I think maintaining an affiliation with an ibjjf association is important for students to compete if they desire. As a brown, I feel that's the only competition that I'm sure to get a match in. I like that I can see who is registered for an event before signing up myself. Phone Post 3.0

Have not been to a IBJJF event for over 5 years now, bunch of money hunger assholes

I think that they are the most recognized body that we have. They've set reasonable standards. If we are going to use them or their standards as a yardstick for measuring authenticity, then it would be hypocritical not to be and I think bjj has become too widespread for their not to be a standards body.

Stephen Hawking -

$115 registration fee for one match is ridiculous.

I thought black belts compete for free now? Phone Post 3.0

Not doing so hampers your students. What if they wish to open a school and promote their own students to be recognised by the federation? By not being recognised yourself, your BB students won't be either, which could affect their livelihood should they go into teaching.

I dislike the fact that you have to play their game, but I think as an instructor you have to think beyond yourself and consider what is best for your students.

Personally I haven't bothered getting my BB recognised/certified (remember that your IBJJF membership card is NOT the same as getting your BB recognised) as I'm not an instructor, but may do so when I reach 2nd degree (which is the point when you can award BBs yourself).

James

Meatgrinder - 

I think that they are the most recognized body that we have. They've set reasonable standards. If we are going to use them or their standards as a yardstick for measuring authenticity, then it would be hypocritical not to be and I think bjj has become too widespread for their not to be a standards body.

I know what you are getting at, but they are not a governing body. Giving in to their demand for recognition as such is the only way they gain legitimacy. So, I don't. A true governing body would be non-profit. Like FIFA, USA Wrestling WBA, USA Rugby, USA Taekwondo, etc. Pretty much every other sport that exists.

I got my bb from a recognised gb bb. I am also recognised by gb as a bb. But i haven't paid a cent to anyone, so I'm not ibjjf recognised. Nor do I care Phone Post 3.0

I couldn't care less about it. Phone Post 3.0

Stupidnewbie - 
Meatgrinder - 

I know what you are getting at, but they are not a governing body. Giving in to their demand for recognition as such is the only way they gain legitimacy. So, I don't. A true governing body would be non-profit. Like FIFA, USA Wrestling WBA, USA Rugby, USA Taekwondo, etc. Pretty much every other sport that exists.

I think people misconstrue what it means to be a nonprofit....It doesn't mean that the people at the top aren't still overpaying themselves and using the entity as a money grab...such as some cancer foundations that are really just in the business of staying in business... FIFA??? probably not a good time to use them as a reference. 

I understand the backlash... It's about transparency of where the money's going. however, people are just posting irrelevant complaints... $115... Then don't compete in ibjjf. Do a Naga. That's the competitions. I think that a standards body with a recogized registry of black belts is a separate discussion from the cost of competitions.

Most of the people posting that they don't care about the ibjjf are the same ones that'll be calling out frauds who haven't been given a belt by a 2 stripe black... or saying that someone shouldn't have a certain amount of stripes, etc... Those are all standards that the ibjjf has been trying to set.

Registering is for competition, it has nothing to do with the legitimacy of the average guys black belt. Phone Post 3.0

gives zero fuks

Naga. Now there is a money hungry org. Accepting registrations right up to the start of the event. Phone Post 3.0

Got my BB from my teacher with Royler present and have the pictures to prove it.
Also got my school's black belt diploma.  

I also do not compete anymore.  

No expensive proof required that i am a black belt.