Do you really need the IBJJF?

Is it really necessary for an unaffiliated instructor to follow the rules and regulations of The IBJJF, if they have no intentions of particiapting in those tournaments?

Are there any prominant instructors/Organizations that follow their own promotion guidelines, that differ from the IBJJF?

Chango

As far as I'm aware, the Machados, the Gracie Academy and ATT follow their own guidelines (e.g., the multiple degrees that Ryron and Rener have on their belts. IIRC, Liborio and 'Conan' Silveira also have higher rank than the IBJJF guidelines would allow for their age, as do several of the Machados).

lol absolutely not.

Hopefully with the growth of other tournament organizations, the IBJJF will continue to lose relevancy.

I have an instructor that insists on "Federation" rules and ways of doing things, yet is pissed because he has severed ties with a major association and can't get his (well deserved) stripe. And when he does, he still can't promote one of his Brown Belts without a 2nd stripe.

Doesn't really seem fair....

Chango

BigEyedFish - lol absolutely not.

Hopefully with the growth of other tournament organizations, the IBJJF will continue to lose relevancy.

Sadly I think the IBJJF and their shitty ruleset has only gained more prominence over the last few years.

Carlson didn't follow along with Relson and many other Gracie family members. Why would they follow what a gracie second generation junior BB? Rickson got his BB before Carlos jr.

I don't think the ibjjf should dictate the promotions and who can and can't compete bc their instructor who is a black belt isn't recognized. I'm in that situation. My instructor is a Royler black belt but not part of the assoc. but he can't promote to black or he himself get promoted and we can't compete at ibjjf tournaments. It's crap if u ask me Phone Post 3.0

So don't participate in the ibjjf lol no one is holding a gun to your heads

ninja316 - I don't think the ibjjf should dictate the promotions and who can and can't compete bc their instructor who is a black belt isn't recognized. I'm in that situation. My instructor is a Royler black belt but not part of the assoc. but he can't promote to black or he himself get promoted and we can't compete at ibjjf tournaments. It's crap if u ask me Phone Post 3.0

The IBJJF has every right to dictate who can compete in IBJJF Tournaments - It's their tournament!

Nope!.......never been with IBJJF and probably will never be. I will stick with F.J-J. Rio instead.

The hell with the IBJJF and their moneygrab policies.
I'm already a black belt and don't compete.. why in the world would I pay a corporation that started out after I began training so that they can tell me what rank I am.

If i ever have a school, oh well, there are plenty of other tournaments for students to compete at.

SlapUsilly - The hell with the IBJJF and their moneygrab policies.
I'm already a black belt and don't compete.. why in the world would I pay a corporation that started out after I began training so that they can tell me what rank I am.

If i ever have a school, oh well, there are plenty of other tournaments for students to compete at.

I feel the exact same way. F them.

ninja316 - I don't think the ibjjf should dictate the promotions and who can and can't compete bc their instructor who is a black belt isn't recognized. I'm in that situation. My instructor is a Royler black belt but not part of the assoc. but he can't promote to black or he himself get promoted and we can't compete at ibjjf tournaments. It's crap if u ask me Phone Post 3.0

Ok this makes no sense, as Gracie Humaita (Royler's team) and Gracie Elite are a presence at IBJJF tourneys. If your instructor wants to I am sure he can fold in w Saulo and Xande as their guys still compete every year w zero problems.

and if he is a Royler black belt, Royler would be the one to give him his degrees and not the IBJJF anyways (if he wanted federation approved rank he would have to have Royler sign the papers regarding that). And him promoting anyone to black would def be through whatever the Humaita standards are (I THINK it is still 2nd degree but heck I could be wrong). If you guys want to do IBJJF tourneys your coach seriously should talk to Royler about going through Saulo if there is a issue, although there may be more to what is going on than you know. -Shrugs-

IMO, the instructors should try to get everything in good standing with the IBJJF simply because they are doing their students a disservice by not letting them compete in the largest and most prestigious tournaments in the world.

I know most students dont care to compete, but you really should give those that want to the opportunity to do so.

No issues other than the association fees for Royler are very high. And I know he's been in talks with other Royler assoc members regarding certificates and stuff. Worst case scenario I have my friend David adiv sign for me. Phone Post 3.0

I thinks it's necessary for standards. We're still early in the sport. If anyone questions my instructors tank they can call up Ralph Gracie and ask him after we get 4 generations down it won't be as easy. I think it's important for BBs to be registered and official Phone Post 3.0

ninja316 - No issues other than the association fees for Royler are very high. And I know he's been in talks with other Royler assoc members regarding certificates and stuff. Worst case scenario I have my friend David adiv sign for me. Phone Post 3.0

And this is where the IBJJF has alienated small, independent clubs. Either you sign with a big club and pay high association fees or you can't compete in IBJJF comps.

i'm guessing the ibjjf sort of makes guys like dave lang non official black belts

Spider guard: that's exactly it. If you're not a big name school or have a big name over you then the IBJJF really black balls you. But also, look at the charges they make for black belts in general. I understand it's a business... And you need to make a living but come on. It's getting ridiculous. Also, there have been many reports of unfair calls by refs. I'm not going to get into that bc that's not what we are talking about. But you do see many Bjj athletes not competing ibjjf tournaments bc of prices, weird requirements, uniform policies, etc. Phone Post 3.0