Do you really need the IBJJF?

Sadly, no matter how you slice it the IBJJF has the best competition in town. It's not necessary but definitely a good to have.

Wutang - Sadly, no matter how you slice it the IBJJF has the best competition in town. It's not necessary but definitely a good to have.

I think 5 grappling could change that.

Does US Judo or the other Judo organization charge for the black belt diploma?

^ yes but it's minimal. Judo is not about making money, it's the love of the sport.

And I assume that when you register your school with US Judo your school also gets insured through them. Correct?
I remember when I did Judo and you became a member at any belt you were insured while training at the club and while competing.

Muffinho - 
Wutang - Sadly, no matter how you slice it the IBJJF has the best competition in town. It's not necessary but definitely a good to have.

I think 5 grappling could change that.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

graciesrule - ^ yes but it's minimal. Judo is not about making money, it's the love of the sport.

Judo is far more honourable that BJJ.

I've done BJJ for 17 years and I did Judo before that.

Judo has IJF
Sambo had ISF
Wrestling has Fila which is IWF

BJJ has CBJJ and the spin off and future federation IBJJF which lets face it that's what they want it to be called because that's what the rest are called.

The difference is IJF ISF or Filo (IWF) are all perusing Olympic recognition or are in the Olympics.... IBJJF are about making money for personal reasons... there is no way that they are perusing Olympic recognition imo.

BJJ has hardly met any of the IOC's recommendations and will not for many many years.

Indeed they will not Truemac, and unfortunately they never will based on the current state of affairs. Drug testing ws a step, but man they are way off and need to be more transparent in SO MANY more ways....

slideyfoot - As far as I'm aware, the Machados, the Gracie Academy and ATT follow their own guidelines (e.g., the multiple degrees that Ryron and Rener have on their belts. IIRC, Liborio and 'Conan' Silveira also have higher rank than the IBJJF guidelines would allow for their age, as do several of the Machados).
This. Ranking requirements are becoming increasingly more fragmented as time goes by. Phone Post 3.0