Do you see money as a way of keeping score?

Do you judge your level of success by how much you make?

I think I do and that's horrible. Phone Post 3.0

I judge my success by how happy I am with my life. Phone Post 3.0

Sure we all do, once you have food clothing and shelter covered everything else is just financial gamesmanship. Sure, having nice stuff is pleasant, but at the end of the day we don't need it. Financial success is just one of the many ways we all compete with each other daily. Phone Post 3.0

Unfortunately lately i have been equating success with amount of money.

When you have none, life fucking sucks and is really really stressful. When you have a lot, life is awesome. You get better food, clothing, pussy, health care. You can really do anything you want with money.

Money isnt everything but it is a huge deal. It sucks but its true. Phone Post 3.0

Yes, my goal is to die a millionaire. 

And fuck that nonsense about "you can't take it with you."  After I'm embalmed I will be leaving instructions to stuff my life savings into every orifice.

Money is part of keeping score but if that's all you care about you're fucked.

I do just fine with income which allows me to live a relatively stress free life. My sister is 10 years older and struggles to make ends meet every single day. Because of my life I can train BJJ, buy bikes, snowboards, cars, whatever, while she begs my family for money. Am I "winning"? I think so. Am I better than her? Nah, we're just different people.

Earning money is different than chasing money. Understanding that line is difficult I think.

As I'm sure with everyone, I've always wanted to make as much as I can to live up to the ideal of 'provider' but, now I'm face with a choice between money and my gf of ten years. It kind of sucks a fat one. Phone Post 3.0

RIPTJR_QuinTheEskimo - Sure we all do, once you have food clothing and shelter covered everything else is just financial gamesmanship. Sure, having nice stuff is pleasant, but at the end of the day we don't need it. Financial success is just one of the many ways we all compete with each other daily. Phone Post 3.0
No.

I don't see money as a way of keeping score, except on the felt. IRL, money is meaningless to me except as a means to an end.

To quote/paraphrase the late great Phil Hartman: "Money doesn't matter. It's the things you buy with your money that are important." Phone Post 3.0

I'm losing badly. Phone Post 3.0

I judge how successful I am by how happy I am with my life. How well off I am with other people and how much freedom I have to do what I really want have a lot to do with my happiness. Money is a tool that helps with the latter as long as it doesn't come at too high of a cost.

I don't like debt, do like a few toys, and like to travel. All of that costs money, but it takes time to enjoy them too. I can't spend all of my time slaving away.

Absolutely it's about keeping score, it sucks but I feel great about it. I got a late start and naysayers in my group of friends tried ripping me down at every step of the climb. At 25 they were already getting married, looking at houses, and buying their toys. Meanwhile I was making jack shit and tossing garbage as part of my internship duties.

Less than a decade later I'm now making way more, enjoyed some pretty exotic vacations, and have a crazy fun job. Meanwhile they've gone bald, have fat wives, and their jobs are basically Office Space. Who's laughing now faggots?!

I ain't bitter though... Phone Post 3.0