Do you side with GSP or UFC?

I did not like that GSP got to come in after four years away and get a title shot over the MW’s who have been competing for that same shot in those four years.

UFC wanted him to defend. He did not want to do that. Did not want to challenge for the WW title. Wanted to drop down to a 3rd weight class and get another instant title shot to make history and become first three weight champ in UFC history.

I’m glad UFC stood their ground and did not let him do it. Letting a big name like GSP or Conor get an instant title shot in a new weight class is alright once in a while but you do it too much and you fuck up the lives of too many legit #1 contenders.

Prizefighting is not pure sport but it functions in a sportlike way most of the time in most of the promotions.

Can’t let GSP comeback after forever and fuck multiple #1 contenders out of their title shots without beating them in fights or defending any belts he wins.

I dont overthink it.  I wanted to see him fight khabob.  Belts mean less now anyway.  Lets just make good fights,  daddy. 

I side with ol’ Shanner. 

LW is too stacked to let GSP do this shit

The inmates cannot be allowed to run the asylum.

I’m a gsp fan but I can see things from the UFC’s side. I also think the ufc lets champions get away with too few title defenses and taking so much time off, so if they would clamp down on that shit holding divisions up for these one off title shots wouldn’t be as big a deal as it is. 

Nah fuck that, GSP is a once in a generation fighter, I want to see him fight the best new kids in the block. There’s nothing more exciting than that imo. 

Guys like Tony and Dustin will get their chance eventually, but they’re not “transcendent” stars like GSP and never will be. GSP vs khabib would be like Jordan vs Kobe. 

Jones right nostril - 

Nah fuck that, GSP is a once in a generation fighter, I want to see him fight the best new kids in the block. There’s nothing more exciting than that imo. 

Guys like Tony and Dustin will get their chance eventually, but they’re not “transcendent” stars like GSP and never will be. GSP vs khabib would be like Jordan vs Kobe. 

Tony is 10-0 at LW over the past five years. GSP is 1-0 at MW in that same time.

Crazy to think he gets to skip over Tony.

Did not look all that transcendent vs Hendricks five years ago either.

One of the GOATS for sure but to think he gets it over Tony in 2019 is crazy.

I'm not taking sides .  I just want to see compelling fights.   I do believe that gsp has earned the right to do fights like this.   I also want to see khabib fight Ferguson,  and Ferguson vs McGregor.   They have cards every weekend,  we should be able to see all these fights in a timely manner. 

Belts mean shit thanks to the “interim system” they employ. Fights take precedence.

And they let a PPV god retire over money. Fucking stupid. 

BJ Penn Forever -
Jones right nostril - 

Tony is 10-0 at LW over the past five years. GSP is 1-0 at MW in that same time.

You’re missing the point, everyone including me knows that today, Tony SHOULD be the next in line and has earned a title shot. But mega fights like GSP vs Khabib don’t come around often. When you’ve got a guy who is widely considered the goat wanting to fight the guy who many consider the most dominant guy of current times, you do it. No ifs or buts about it. 

Tony vs Khabib is always going to be there after, just gotta wait a little longer for it. 

multiculturaljoseph - 

Belts mean shit thanks to the “interim system” they employ. Fights take precedence.

The belts mean something to him since he was trying to get them in three different weight classes without defending them or beating #1 contenders to get the shot at them. That “PPV god” never wanted to give Hendricks the rematch, never wanted to make the Anderson superfight in their primes, never wanted to fight Woodley who owns his divisions belt, never wanted to fight a top 5 MW to earn the Bisping shot, etc…

The GSP that faced all comers retired five years ago. The post-Hendricks GSP is completely different mentally. Went 1-0 in that time to preserve his legacy. Easy way to keep your record intact as you age.

BJ Penn Forever -
multiculturaljoseph - 

The belts mean something to him since he was trying to get them in three different weight classes without defending them or beating #1 contenders to get the shot at them. That “PPV god” never wanted to give Hendricks the rematch, never wanted to make the Anderson superfight in their primes, never wanted to fight Woodley who owns his divisions belt, never wanted to fight a top 5 MW to earn the Bisping shot, etc…

The GSP that faced all comers retired five years ago. The post-Hendricks GSP is completely different mentally. Went 1-0 in that time to preserve his legacy. Easy way to keep your record intact as you age.

It’s definitely by deisgn to keep his record intact. It’s less about the belt and more about him thinking Khabib is a winnable fight for him at this point. 

Which I don’t agree with and would fucking love to pay money to find out why he thinks he can. 

But alas. All things must fade.

Jones right nostril - 
BJ Penn Forever -
Jones right nostril - 

You’re missing the point, everyone including me knows that today, Tony SHOULD be the next in line and has earned a title shot. But mega fights like GSP vs Khabib don’t come around often. When you’ve got a guy who is widely considered the goat wanting to fight the guy who many consider the most dominant guy of current times, you do it. No ifs or buts about it. 

Tony vs Khabib is always going to be there after, just gotta wait a little longer for it. 

Tony vs Khabib would be way less of a fight if GSP beat Khabib.

GSP would also want to retire after a win so he does not "risk his legacy in his mind.

GSP’s comeback was about going after the biggest reward possible while minimizing risk, ie: two title fights in two weight classes while also avoiding Woodley who is likely a better wrestler at the moment and has more KO power.

A lot of upside there for him but little for the UFC as he left them high and dry at MW and was gonna do the same thing at LW.

Dana did not want him jacking up divisions and title pictures like that. He is thinking long term.

BJ Penn Forever -
Jones right nostril - 
BJ Penn Forever -
Jones right nostril - 

Tony vs Khabib would be way less of a fight if GSP beat Khabib.

GSP would also want to retire after a win so he does not "risk his legacy in his mind.

GSP’s comeback was about going after the biggest reward possible while minimizing risk, ie: two title fights in two weight classes while also avoiding Woodley who is likely a better wrestler at the moment and has more KO power.

A lot of upside there for him but little for the UFC as he left them high and dry at MW and was gonna do the same thing at LW.

Dana did not want him jacking up divisions and title pictures like that. He is thinking long term.

Sounds like George is a pretty smart guy then eh? He’s doing a lot better than others like Fedor and Anderson who have gone way passed their primes and are still fighting as shells of their former selves. He’s smart for looking out for himself and not risk his long term health the way the others have. 

And I’m still baffled by people thinking the Bisping fight was some sort of “gimme” for GSP. Bisping coming off wins against hendo, rockhold and Anderson, with George coming off a 4 year layoff, a second acl repair and moving up a weight class. It was a super competitive fight. 

I’m not a fan of people jumping in line for title fights without an intention of defending...

GSP

It has nothing to do with jumping in line for a title shot, UFC doesn't give a fuck about #1 contenders.  If they could sell a PPV they'd give Shaq an immediate title shot.

They would have let him if he signed a long term type contract.  After watching the press conference it seems that GSP wanted a 1 fight contract, or maybe 2 at most.  UFC doesn't like that of course, win the belt against the undefeated champ then retire?  Sure it's a big PPV but it's a bad investment for the UFC.  So I can see why it didn't work out.

Jones right nostril -
BJ Penn Forever -
Jones right nostril - 

This. If GSP wants to dip his toe in once every few years, give him what he wants. Once he’s gone he’s gone. Sadly it seems like that’s now. 

If the UFC consistently worked to have only “legitimate” title fights, I would be sympathetic. But, their system is totally arbitrary.

Cody gets an immediate rematch but Stipe doesn’t. GSP has to defend the belt, but for a while, it seemed like Conor didn’t.

Until they behave legitimately, I will side with the fighter who has always conducted himself with class and grace. Plus, there was an easy compromise. Have Khabib fight GSP but strip Khabib. Let him then fight winner of Tony v. Porier for the belt.