do you speak with and ACCENT?

i think everyone has some sort of accent, IMO

as a life long (except my 1st 3 yrs of life in Chicago) NJ resident, who currently still lives here, i've tried my best to remove any Jersyness from my way of speak

people in New Jersey have asked if i was from out of state, but out of state people can usually tell im from NJ or the surrounding area

what gives?

What would no accent sound like?

Screenname checks out

southcraw -

people from missouri , specifically the st louis area, are considered to have "no accent"

Isaac298 - Screenname checks out

doh!

stupid thread title edit gone

Low T Low IQ - 
southcraw -

people from missouri , specifically the st louis area, are considered to have "no accent"

"No Accent" in the US is called a middle Atlantic accent. Think Delaware/Pennsylvania/Ohio. It's also referred to as "non-regional diction."

Most of the time I have non-regional diction. I worked hard to develop it. But my family is all from the Boston area, and when I'm around them for any length of time then my accent comes back hard.

Grew up in the South, but don’t have a southern accent.

I do say “y’all” though.

Southern maine really doesn't have one.  The rest of the state sounds like a Boston accent after having a stroke.   I guess we still drop R's but not as obvious 

Girly - 

Southern maine really doesn't have one.  The rest of the state sounds like a Boston accent after having a stroke.   I guess we still drop R's but not as obvious 

Say "Pepperidge Farm remembers."

Not really.  People here in california think I am a hick,  and real hicks think I am a california fag.  

Everyone has an accent. We have just arbitrarily decided that the Midlands accent stretching from Pennsylvania through Ohio into the plains Midwest is the "standard." A few decades ago the standard was more Great Lakes.

i made a thread a while back linking a NY Times regional dialect quiz which was dead on for many people

it guessed the exact 2 towns I lived in growing up

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html

phydeau -
Girly - 

Say "Pepperidge Farm remembers."

Dammit!

none.  occasionally I will lay on some locust valley lockjaw and tell people my name is Thurston. 

I don't until I'm drunk, then my southern accent comes out. 

Like Hocky, I do say y'all sober. 

I had some fat dipshit from Pennsylvania try to fight me on the bank of the Clinch River in Norris, TN, because he thought I was lying to him about being born and raised in the South, due to my lack of an accent. 

I should have drop kicked him into the river. 

I didn’t know I had an accent until I moved to Boston. Then everybody said I talked weird, which is mind blowing considering what they sound like. But there is definitely a philly area accent, and since living elesewhere I notice it immediately. 

In for everyone saying out of the infinite number of ways of speaking, their particular way of speaking of the "neutral" one

Texan... pretty neutral though. Most people ask me where I'm from, Californians think I talk like a hillbilly. City folk think I'm a redneck, country folk think I am a city slicker.

I do say 'hunerd' instead of 'hundred' though.

Supposedly there’s such thing as a “Michigan accent” like we say the word “milk” wrong. Like we say “melk” or something its weird 

Luckily, not really. Even though I'm from the deep South, I was always embarrassed to sound like it. My group of friends used to give one another mad shit over it when we were young. I'm glad because none of us have it. Just about nobody thinks I came from anywhere southern, although I probably still sound like it to someone from the UK or Australia. They think everyone either sounds like a cowboy or a surfer, lol.