Do you tip? Who should be tipped? How much?

Do you tip? Why or why not?

Who do you tip? Waitress/waiter? Hairdresser/barber/stylist? Trades people? Delivery guys? Where do you draw the line?

How much do you tip? Phone Post 3.0

As a cable guy, I don't think we should be tipped. We perform a lot of work, running lines, digging in drops etc. The customer is paying in most cases. We are also paid pretty well.

What I appreciate is when a customer gives me kudos on a survey. They are the biggest thing at the company I work for.

If a customer has a billing issue and praises the tech but fails the billing department, there is only one person who is held responsible.....the field tech. It's bullshit but its not going away.

I refuse tips daily. Phone Post 3.0

Waitstaff I start at 25% just cus I've been a waiter and go down from there depending on the service.

I only tip if they fondle my balls..pretty simple rule

Sinful1 - Waitstaff I start at 25% just cus I've been a waiter and go down from there depending on the service.
So like the more they screw things up the percentage goes down? Phone Post 3.0

kungfugrip - I only tip if they fondle my balls..pretty simple rule
You didn't tip me!

I keed...I keed....

How could you tip me while you were in an ether induced slumber.. Phone Post 3.0

Finally, a new topic for the OG! Phone Post

Here's a question: what is the appropriate tip percentage, or any tip, on counter order food? I don't mean fast food, but like a nicer sit down place where you order at the counter and then they bring it out. I have no problem tipping my server if I have cash, but I always feel held hostage when I pay initially up front at the counter. They haven't even served me yet... Phone Post 3.0

Waiters/Waitresses, barber and delivery guy all usually get about 20%

No one should be tipped.

Employers should just pay their employees a market rate.

Paying employees almost nothing and expecting their customers to make up the difference on a whim doesn't make sense.

hubris - No one should be tipped.

Employers should just pay their employees a market rate.

Paying employees almost nothing and expecting their customers to make up the difference on a whim doesn't make sense.
Agreed.
I went on holiday to America recently,and the only thing I didn't fuckin tip was the toilet. Phone Post 3.0

KeezyDoesIt - Finally, a new topic for the OG! Phone Post
I'm sure it's been done before bro. You could try searching for it and check. Phone Post 3.0

King Trav -
Sinful1 - Waitstaff I start at 25% just cus I've been a waiter and go down from there depending on the service.
That's exactly how I do it.

Depends on speediness of course too. Plus water refills is número uno for me lol Phone Post 3.0

King Trav - 

Yup,

Sinful1 -
King Trav - 

Yup,
That is an interesting approach. I think I will try this. Phone Post 3.0

Warriormmd - 
King Trav -
That's exactly how I do it.

Depends on speediness of course too. Plus water refills is número uno for me lol Phone Post 3.0

for me the food is not something waitstaff has a lot of control over , waiting 20+ minutes for my order to get taken when the waiter has 1 other table pisses me off.

Tipped employees are paid the market rate.  Moreso than an employee making an hourly wage or salary.

Their pay is based exactly on what the market values their service, not on how many hours worked or a set salary.  Its the basic definition of market rate.  Better servers make more, worse servers make less.

Would you rather that 15% is simply added to food cost?  Just raise the price of a meal 15-20%?

Then you will "tip" all waitstaff 15-20% regardless of performance.  Tipping allows me to reward good service and punish poor service.  yay!

Any way you wanna split it, you will be paying a server roughly the same for their service, regardless if the hourly wages are increased or tipping is expected.  With a tipping policy, you can control what you believe is deserved.

Mark

King Trav - 
kungfugrip - I only tip if they fondle my balls..pretty simple rule
You didn't tip me!

I keed...I keed....

How could you tip me while you were in an ether induced slumber.. Phone Post 3.0

in this position, I'd have access to more that just the tip

Mark1 - Would you rather that 15% is simply added to food cost? Just raise the price of a meal 15-20%?

Yes that would be completely fine.

Restaurants would price their items based on the ability of the market to pay for the product.

If you can't afford a meal, then you have no business going to an expensive restaurant.

Mark1 - Then you will "tip" all waitstaff 15-20% regardless of performance. Tipping allows me to reward good service and punish poor service. yay!

How often does this really happen? Most people just pay 15% whether or not it was good service or bad service.

Have you paid less than 15% tip on bad or mediocre service? You are a cheap bastard if you do.