Do you travel a lot for work and have a family?

How many days a week?  Weeks/ month?  How does it work for you?  Used to travel 3 nights a week every week.  Been working from home with almost no travel for the last 2 years but am thinking of going back on the road.

no family here, but i was on travel for over 130 days last year.

as you probably know, its fun for the first little while, then you immediately see your personal relationships going down, you eat pub / restaurant food almost every night, hotel gyms are shit for getting a proper workout in, you arent around to engage in hobbies, etc.

I do still like being on the road because i love seeing different parts of my province / country, but there is for sure a down side. I have told myself if / when i had a family id cut it way back.

mind you, if your family sucks, then go out and get some space to yourself!

Gib - no family here, but i was on travel for over 130 days last year.

as you probably know, its fun for the first little while, then you immediately see your personal relationships going down, you eat pub / restaurant food almost every night, hotel gyms are shit for getting a proper workout in, you arent around to engage in hobbies, etc.

I do still like being on the road because i love seeing different parts of my province / country, but there is for sure a down side. I have told myself if / when i had a family id cut it way back.

yeah, earlier in my career it was every other week for just 2 nights.  almost the perfect amount.  family and i both got a break from one another and i  was usually gone on nights i wouldn't see them anyway.  was really perfect actually and i got great travel perks so vacations were nice and easy.

but as SoCalMutt said, pay for jobs that don't require travel is kind of shit (given the cost of living where i am) unless you're a MD, JD or entrepreneur.  even politically savvy corporate slaves that make it up to the C suite are on the road non-stop.  when i was traveling a lot, we were breaking into 1%er territory and frankly, given where we live, i felt comfortable but not rich.

it's a tricky balance between work and family.

damn every other week for 2 nights away would be perfect.

hope you can find a way to get back to that

Gib - no family here, but i was on travel for over 130 days last year.

Pretty much this

Just a little bit but no family.

Why do I love it?  (9+ years at about 75%) I'm also an introvert if that helps you understand.

Someone makes my bed for me

I have breakfast waiting in the AM

I drive someone else's car

I pretend I'm Anthony Bourdain trying out all kinds of unique eats and places

After awhile, you get good status with airlines, car rental companies and hotels - upgraded to first, most of the times - nice suites and usually get a Caddy, BMW or a nice SUV.

I'm also a lone wolf, so my only interactions are with people I'll likely never see again - I don't have to worry about when to go to lunch or what hours I work pending on the client.  

On top of it, I'm sitting on tons of miles and points from this, the actual spend since I pay for it and churning so I pretty much fly whereever I want in the world in first, stay at nice places and get to explore and see all kinds of things.

The biggest thing to stay happy on the road though?  The ability to make your own schedule and book your travel for yourself.  Once you start having to travel with multiple people, sharing a rental car or having someone else book your travel and schedule, that is when it sucks.

For 10 years I worked 3 weeks on 3 weeks off on boats. Kids weren't born when I started but my daughter was born 3 years into it. My kids loved the fact that I worked on boats. Now I'm a year into being home everyday. I like it, my kids like it, but my wife my tell you different 

Road Warrior Fin -

Just a little bit but no family.

Why do I love it?  (9+ years at about 75%) I'm also an introvert if that helps you understand.

Someone makes my bed for me

I have breakfast waiting in the AM

I drive someone else's car

I pretend I'm Anthony Bourdain trying out all kinds of unique eats and places

After awhile, you get good status with airlines, car rental companies and hotels - upgraded to first, most of the times - nice suites and usually get a Caddy, BMW or a nice SUV.

I'm also a lone wolf, so my only interactions are with people I'll likely never see again - I don't have to worry about when to go to lunch or what hours I work pending on the client.  

On top of it, I'm sitting on tons of miles and points from this, the actual spend since I pay for it and churning so I pretty much fly whereever I want in the world in first, stay at nice places and get to explore and see all kinds of things.

The biggest thing to stay happy on the road though?  The ability to make your own schedule and book your travel for yourself.  Once you start having to travel with multiple people, sharing a rental car or having someone else book your travel and schedule, that is when it sucks.

Yeah, I get it. I used to fly 150k-200k/ yr. The perks are great. But my daughters almost 9 now. Critical years.

Me and my wife both travel for work and we have two kids, 4 and 2.5 years old.  We are both gone about 10 nights a month.  We travel at different times and it has no effect on the family.  When one of us is out of town we do different things with the kids like no bath night, rent a movie, go to toys r us, camp out in the living room, or other little things like that.  We talk it up a few days in advance, and the kids look forward to us leaving so they can do whatever it is we have planned.