Do you uchi mata?

WFA?

What is your lifting leg trying to achieve?

I can’t quite get it conceptually and when practicing I’m just doing what I see others do.

To elaborate, some people seem to use the leg as a tripping leg (often tripping both legs) which may be a different move to uchi mata (?)

Sometimes the leg is put directly between opponents legs and it’s more of a hip throw motion. So the leg doesn’t seem to be doing much other than facilitate the rest of the movement of body.

And then there is the “can can” method where you lift the opponents near-leg and hop toward them, taking them down.

It depends. Yamahashita definitely used it to lift the inner thigh closest to him, but I think technically the leg is supposed to go deeper and you kind of whirl them around the back of your thigh like they’re straddling a log.

A good way to rupture an achilles or tear a hamstring as you get older. I’d stay on two feet as much as possible.

When I get an overhook I tend to look for it. I stayed almost beside then and wait to get wrist control on the far arm. Then I lean on them, wait for them to resist then go between the legs and essentially roll forward with them. If you have the timing down it’s pretty easy. And if they resist I find they’ll break the hold on the wrist on the way down and go face first into the ground ahaha either way you can usually get mount or side control with good execution.

Similar to Travis Stevens style. Big difference is his is an over the back belt grip & usually forgoes the far arm altogether making it a single hand/grip throw into a forward roll.

It’s just so you get a chance to feel their balls with your leg

Sounds ippon-centric which won’t do a ton of good in a jiu jitsu match. Too many of their throws really don’t take into account what’s going to happen after you land.

I know. I always preferred & practiced judo more than bjj but just made the reference as his description of entry and overhook grip on the near side reminded me of Stevens’ style is all. Many of the throws work well in both with some modifications(hell, no matter the style, once sparring begins it’s rare to pull off anything as you would as a kata).

That sounds like harai goshi.

There’s a reason both uchi mata and harai goshi are two of the most popular and most-used techniques at the highest levels of judo (All Japan, Worlds, Olympics, etc.) - they fucking WORK :slight_smile:

I prefer Suzuki personally…

I use it all the time. Throws you prefer do come down to preference though.

It’s a great counter throw even in no gi if your opponent is attacking a single leg or even scrambling up to a single from the knees.

Controlling your landing is just a matter of practice just like any throw.

I think uchimata is one of the most adaptable forward throws for gi, no gi, you even see it in wrestling a good bit.