Doctors, Nurses and COVID..... Front Line

This is anecdotal, but I have several friends that are front line workers and deal with dozens, if not hudreds of covid patients a day inside of hospitals.  These people do not work with each other or work for the same hospital.  They have told me that they are not tested on a regular basis....the reason has not been explicitly explained to them, so they have come to their own conclusions.

If any of you work as nurses, doctors or in another capacity with covid patients, is this true?

Why do they not test you?\

Don't you think that this is a public safety issue?  If you are the vertex, you could spread it to everyone.  

This is not a critique on you at all, but rather operations.  

I know a guy who's sister's boyfriend went to high school with a chick who's roommate in college met a nurse at a bar who said that we're all going to die unless we shut down the entire world until there's a vaccine.

Confirmed.

Locally all patients are tested, but like you said employees aren't required to be unless they're suspected of being "exposed" to one of the patients who tests positive

DuffyLaCoronilla - 

I know a guy who's sister's boyfriend went to high school with a chick who's roommate in college met a nurse at a bar who said that we're all going to die unless we shut down the entire world until there's a vaccine.

Confirmed.

where did you get that out of his post?  He's just asking if it's true that the front line workers aren't tested on a regular basis.

1 Like

ptper - Locally all patients are tested, but like you said employees aren't required to be unless they're suspected of being "exposed" to one of the patients who tests positive

But that's the case...they're dealing with dozens of covid patients (positive cases) a day and never being tested themselves.  One explanation was that if you test positive, you have to be quarantined, and a shortage of that resource will require to pull someone in from outside that could severely increase their costs.  Something about overtime as well.  I don't know how these employee operations work for health care facilities so I'm confused.  

Any insight?

DuffyLaCoronilla - 

Confirmed.

Jesus, now I know why guys on the other side are so harsh with the immediate "Trumptard" comments.  Buddy, read the post first.  No one said to shut anything down .

The Maestro - 

This is anecdotal, but I have several friends that are front line workers and deal with dozens, if not hudreds of covid patients a day inside of hospitals.  These people do not work with each other or work for the same hospital.  They have told me that they are not tested on a regular basis....the reason has not been explicitly explained to them, so they have come to their own conclusions.

If any of you work as nurses, doctors or in another capacity with covid patients, is this true?

Don't you think that this is a public safety issue?  If you are the vertex, you could spread it to everyone.  

You're correct.

I've been tested a few times but not regularly. It's uncomfortable but this isn't why we're not being tested more often.

First, we have head gear, good masks, gloves, and gowns that we change regularly. So our chance of giving it is not as great as one would think. In fact, there's been very little personnel to patient transmission.

There's also not an endless supply of tests. In Quebec (about 8 million people), there are 200 000 people working in health care facilities. To do a good job, you'd have to test all of these every day or two. We don't have the manpower to do this.

Also: people working in COVID units are being tested more regularly.

It's not surprising. There hasn't been a significant amount of data that suggests that this virus is so different that we shouldn't use standard virology treatment protocols as a framework and modify acordingly. 

mataleo1 - 
The Maestro - 

You're correct.

I've been tested a few times but not regularly. It's uncomfortable but this isn't why we're not being tested more often.

First, we have head gear, good masks, gloves, and gowns that we change regularly. So our chance of giving it is not as great as one would think. In fact, there's been very little personnel to patient transmission.

There's also not an endless supply of tests. In Quebec (about 8 million people), there are 200 000 people working in health care facilities. To do a good job, you'd have to test all of these every day or two. We don't have the manpower to do this.

Thank you.  I've also been told that for nurses, getting PPE is sometimes an administrative nightmare; so much so that people sometimes sneak their own in, even though it is not permitted to do so.  Any truth?

You realize non of them can do their job without electricity ? Yet Generation personal are never mentioned or thanked for their contribution....with no downtime because they can't. Nor other utility workers that make your drinking water and treat your sewage. Dispatch energy, repair the gid etc etc....

Too much time away from making TikTok vids to get tested.

Mark

The Maestro - 
mataleo1 - 
The Maestro - 

You're correct.

Thank you.  I've also been told that for nurses, getting PPE is sometimes an administrative nightmare; so much so that people sometimes sneak their own in, even though it is not permitted to do so.  Any truth?

Not where I work. PPE is there for everyone, in abundance. It definitely was an issue 6 weeks ago, but not now.

RhinoHog - 

You realize non of them can do their job without electricity ? Yet Generation personal are never mentioned or thanked for their contribution....with no downtime because they can't. Nor other utility workers that make your drinking water and treat your sewage. Dispatch energy, repair the gid etc etc....

1 Like

DuffyLaCoronilla -

Confirmed.

How many TicToc videos do you think she made?

DaveFu -
RhinoHog - 

Spot on Sir.

+1

Al Cappucino - 
DaveFu -
RhinoHog - 

Spot on Sir.

+1

Agreed....