Dodgers Found Negligent; Frank McCourt Not

Bryan Stow Civil Trial: Dodgers Found Negligent; Frank McCourt Not Negligent

On the ninth day of deliberations, jurors announced Wednesday that they had found the Dodgers negligent in Bryan Stow’s civil lawsuit against the team.

Former Dodgers owner Frank McCourt was found not negligent.

Stow’s total damages were determined to be about $18.4 million.
A Giants fan and paramedic from Santa Cruz, Stow was severely beaten by two Dodgers fans in a Dodger Stadium parking lot following a game against the San Francisco Giants on March 31, 2011.

His lawsuit accused the Dodgers and McCourt of failing to provide proper security and lighting on the night Stow was beaten. It was filed on his behalf by his parents and on behalf of his son and daughter by his ex-wife.

The jury of six men and six women listened to 20 days of testimony during the 4 1/2-week closely watched trial, which began on May 27. They visited Dodger Stadium in a secret trip.
The jury was handed the case on Thursday, June 26.

Jurors buzzed twice just before 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, signaling they had reached a verdict.

The verdict was read shortly after 1:30 p.m.

“Oh my God, I’m beyond happy,” said Stow’s mother Ann.

Jurors were asked a series of eight sequential questions, beginning with whether the Dodgers or McCourt were negligent. If either party was determined negligent, jurors had to determine whether that negligence was a “substantial factor in causing harm” to Stow.

Jurors determined that the acts of Stow’s two attackers were a substantial factor in that harm. The two men were determined to have 37.5 percent of the responsibility for the harm.

The Dodgers were found to be responsible for 25 percent of the harm.

In court last week, jurors told Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Victor E. Chavez they had been unable to reach agreement on any of the eight questions before them. After consulting with attorney on both sides, Chavez implored the jury to make one last effort to reach a verdict.

They returned to deliberations that afternoon, July 2.
Stow was seeking more than $36 million in economic damages for lost earnings and medical expenses, plus an unspecified sum in compensation for pain and suffering.

A father of two, Stow was wearing a Giants jersey when he was beaten by Dodgers fans Marvin Norwood and Lou
Stow, who was drunk during the game, suffered brain damage and permanent disability in the attack.

In a wheelchair, Stow appeared at court twice during the trial. His parents were present every day.

Norwood and Sanchez both pleaded guilty and were sentenced to four years, eight months in prison at an emotional February hearing where Stow’s family members tearfully and angrily rebuked them.
mccourt

“Like all Dodger fans, I was appalled at the criminal behavior of Sanchez and Norwood. Make no mistake, they are the parties responsible for this tragic incident,” Frank McCourt said outside Los Angeles Superior Court on June 13, 2014. (Credit: KTLA)

After testifying in the case in June, McCourt had told reporters that Norwood and Sanchez were “the parties responsible” for the harm to Stow, an argument made in court by attorneys for the Dodgers.

Lawyers for the team had also argued that despite cutbacks in security spending, there was an unprecedented level of security for the opening day game between longtime rivals

http://ktla.com/2014/07/09/bryan-stow-civil-trial-jury-reaches-verdict-will-be-read-at-130-p-m/

lawsuit culture

terrible tragedy, but really? the dodgers are responsible? the trash fans are responsible. I don't go to dodgers games because of them.

raleigh - lawsuit culture

terrible tragedy, but really? the dodgers are responsible? the trash fans are responsible. I don't go to dodgers games because of them.

have a VU faggot! What happened?

So Stowe was drunk when it happned? Was he talking shit when the guys beat him up or did they just pick out a random and stomp him? They make it seem like on the news he was an innocent victim... first time I've heard he was drunk, if he was talking shit instigating something how is anyone but his assailants responsible? Phone Post 3.0

Terrible what happened to Stow, but the judgement against the Dodgers is completely ridiculous.

Mr. Wright -

this.

i haven't been to a dodgers game in years since they started specifically marketing to the hispanic gang culture in LA. its turned the stadium into a fucking cesspool

Bro! Take your cheap ass away from the Left field bleacher seats or all you can eat Right field and it gets better. Lower levels fairly pale. Phone Post 3.0

this.
i haven't been to a dodgers game in years since they started specifically marketing to the hispanic gang culture in LA. its turned the stadium into a fucking cesspool

How do the market specifically to Hispanic games? Just curious Phone Post 3.0

JJitsu - 
Mr. Wright -

this.

Bro! Take your cheap ass away from the Left field bleacher seats or all you can eat Right field and it gets better. Lower levels fairly pale. Phone Post 3.0

lmao. hard to avoid them where ever you sit.

Mr. Wright - 

this.

Exactly why I will not go nor take my kids to a game.

Mr. Wright -
JJitsu - 
Mr. Wright -

this.

LOL nailed it.

my friends and i used to get cheap seats all the time back from 98-2001/2. when they switched up their marketing we just started going to angels games again.

knew it! Last time I was in the Bleacher seats was a couple years ago during Mannywood and I watched the cops launch some guy all the way down the stairs when he tried to fight back. Dude went out on a stretcher for being stupid and fucking with out of town fans... Now I feel like Danny Glover so I'll pay extra to avoid the natives. Phone Post 3.0

this is so unfortunate

I hate this story

Nobody wins

Nobody

look wherever you sit you're gonna be exposed to those people. better to just avoid those situations. I don't want to rag on stowe or anyone, I am not sure the average fan visiting dodger stadium is that bright. I am prepared for violence at a dodger game, chargers v raider game, I do my best to avoid it, but its there.

My 1st MMA live event was the morongo riots with the mongols so it happens everywhere in this jerry springer world

Life long Dodgers fan but dont go anymore, I go to Angels games if I get free tickets.

Going to Dodger games became shitty the day the gang-bangers no longer had Raider games to go to. Phone Post 3.0

Meohfumado - Going to Dodger games became shitty the day the gang-bangers no longer had Raider games to go to. Phone Post 3.0

The dodgers also were giving free tickets away to alleged "gang intervention" groups who would distribute them in the hood. --Suprisingly, that didn't always bring in the most civil fans. It brought in people who came because it was free and wanted to start trouble.

My 74 year old dad had a bad experince with just such a person. They gave up their season tickets after that. It IS better now with the new owners.

I just do t get the shit talk by the white guys on here about going Dodger games. I've been going to games since 83 when I was 7. Did you guys not go to school in the Los Angeles Unified School District? Because you sound like a bunch of fucking pussy's, Raider games, Laker games at the Forum and Dodger games have always had shit bags at them and if you had school bussing in the LAUSD you should be able to navigate around these dipshits fairly easy. It sounds more like your just scared of brown people which makes you a coward and a disgrace to your race if your going to allow them to dictate where you go in life. Sit there and say how it's "gangbangers" but we all know what color the "gangbangers" your talking about are so just be real about it and say what you mean.

THERES TOO MANY FUCKIN MEXICANS at the Los Doyers games! GTFO LA MIGRA LA MIGRA! !

See its not hard....
pussy's. Phone Post 3.0

JJitsu - I just do t get the shit talk by the white guys on here about going Dodger games. I've been going to games since 83 when I was 7. Did you guys not go to school in the Los Angeles Unified School District? Because you sound like a bunch of fucking pussy's, Raider games, Laker games at the Forum and Dodger games have always had shit bags at them and if you had school bussing in the LAUSD you should be able to navigate around these dipshits fairly easy. It sounds more like your just scared of brown people which makes you a coward and a disgrace to your race if your going to allow them to dictate where you go in life. Sit there and say how it's "gangbangers" but we all know what color the "gangbangers" your talking about are so just be real about it and say what you mean.

THERES TOO MANY FUCKIN MEXICANS at the Los Doyers games! GTFO LA MIGRA LA MIGRA! !

See its not hard....
pussy's. Phone Post 3.0

Viva

JJitsu - I just do t get the shit talk by the white guys on here about going Dodger games. I've been going to games since 83 when I was 7. Did you guys not go to school in the Los Angeles Unified School District? Because you sound like a bunch of fucking pussy's, Raider games, Laker games at the Forum and Dodger games have always had shit bags at them and if you had school bussing in the LAUSD you should be able to navigate around these dipshits fairly easy. It sounds more like your just scared of brown people which makes you a coward and a disgrace to your race if your going to allow them to dictate where you go in life. Sit there and say how it's "gangbangers" but we all know what color the "gangbangers" your talking about are so just be real about it and say what you mean.

See its not hard....
pussy's. Phone Post 3.0
Popcorn is ready Phone Post 3.0