Does anyone know a teen that was into cutting?

Unfortunately, my 17 year old son has taken up the habit of “cutting”. Needless to say, I am at a loss.

Oh, and ahead of time, fuck you, to all the assholes who are holier than thou.

I understand that it’s a habit that is hard to break and I am looking for constructive tips that can help me get him to stop.

8 Likes

Have you tried only keeping butter knives in the house?

3 Likes

My g/f’s half sister.

Can’t help you with any advice unfortunately. She doesn’t do it anymore.

She was/is pretty fucked in the head

1 Like

He cut himself today with the blade from a pencil sharpener that he disassembled…

His problem is that his is way more intelligent than most people and he feels frustrated.

What happened to the half sister???

I’m sorry to hear that.

1 Like

A girl that I worked with when I was in college.

Have you tried therapy or counselling OP? That’s what finally helped her.

3 Likes

Have him talk with professional help…best I can offer. Good luck, bro…

10 Likes

I will set him up with that, but he is extremely headstrong.

I was doing it for a while in high school.

At the time I thought it was just an outward manifestation of my inner pain.

Years removed I realized it was me being an emo douche as it got me all sorts of attention when people saw the cuts as I’d “Scramble” to cover them up in an “I don’t want to talk about it” kind of way.

Not saying that your son is being an emo douche, but just saying that most that cut fall into that category.

As far as what can be done? Not sure but if you have any questions I can help with let em fly.

12 Likes

Sounds like he is telling you what you want to hear. Take him to a therapist and figure out whats going on.

3 Likes

My youngest sister did in HS. Shes a green haired leftist now

4 Likes

He’s a tough guy persona, saying he doesn’t feel pain.

1 Like

Was gonna say the same thing. Good luck OP, that’s rough. What are his hobbies? Anything he interested in like Jiu-jitsu to keep his mind occupied?

2 Likes

Noice

Does he workout? That’ll make him feel pain…

4 Likes

Yup. I said the same shit. LOL.

5 Likes

Have there been any dramatic changes in his life that could trigger the behavior? Death of a family member? Traumatic experience?

Not personally but dealt with a bunch when i worked the road. Get professional assistance asap. This isnt a simple fix. Good luck.

4 Likes