Does Cormier count as an A-level athlete?

So tired of hearing about Lebron’s “athleticism.”

Yes, DC was an A-level athlete at one time (his wrestling and Olympic career). And for MMA, which typically does not get the highest level athletes unless they come from wrestling or judo, he was also an A-level athlete.

1 Like

Without question, yes …

1 Like

I guess I’m thinking of general athletics like who wins in a sprint, jumping, long jump, high jump, bench press, deadlift,

I see Lebron beating DC in most of those kinds of activities

Lebron was Just an example I could of named 10 other sports people past or present.

Surely athelisism means strength, fitness and agility. I know there’s some technique involved but DC would be far stronger and agility wise he would ragdoll James around like he’s a child.

Surely DCs fitness levels can’t be that far off either…

1 Like

Yes. Yea he does

I would say he isn’t. He was a great wrestler but not a great athlete. I am not a big gsp fan but he is a great athlete. To me a great athlete is someone who has fast twitch muscles. They can run fast jump high and do things ordinary people can’t do. As much as I hate to say this Terrel Owens is an incredible athlete. Doesn’t mean he can fight but he can do things most mma fighters will never be able to do.

1 Like

Eh…being “fast twitch” will look different on a bigger guy than a smaller guy. So I don’t think juxtaposing DC w/ GSP is a good indication of DC’s athleticism.

I would say if you can make a living doing it, you are A level. Then there are even higher tiers of that, which he was at the highest of his sport.

1 Like

Yeah to say an Olympic wrestler doesn’t have fast-twitch muscles is confusing.

3 Likes

The best 4 my ass. The biggest talent pool is soccer and if the top level soccer players had dedicated their lives to MMA they would all be champs.

And don’t give me this they’re not tough thing. A 90 soccer match will destroy you.

1 Like

Sure DC would smash Lebron no question about that.

But, do you think DC would out sprint Lebron over 100 meters, jump higher in high jump, jump further in long jump?

Totally agree

Yah he is,

Absolutely. Look at the way he throws people around. Micky Mantle gene.

I read this as “A-” level , meaning “A minus”.

And I think that’s accurate. He’s not the most athletic, but within his sport, his body type is effective.

Two weight world champion, two time Olympic team member, absolutely.

When I think of ‘Freak’ Athletes the person who comes to mind is Herschel Walker. Even now many years out of his athletic prime he is such an incredible athlete his abilities are still very high.

DC is that, with a belly, and a lot of injuries that he is compensating for. The guy has been competing at the highest levels for 20 plus years. Go put in a few weeks of hard two a days. That’s him for 20 years. Your body breaks down. He isn’t necessarily from a time that people rehabbed their injuries for longevity.

Having said that, I think during his MMA career we only saw a DC that was 70 percent of his Olympic/college DC abilities.

A- level athlete.

90-93%

Ben Askren.