Does Costco lose money on rotisserie chicken and food court?

I think Costco loses money on most of the food court and the rotisserie chickens. I took my two kids out to lunch the other day and it cost me 10 bucks. I have a hard time feeding myself anywhere else. Not high quality food but not horrible either.

The chickens are worth 10 bucks imo. I see chickens in other stores and they are puny in comparison, they cost 9 for a a tiny bird and 12 for a bird that is 20% smaller than a Costco swole bird.

3 Likes

You dont have costco’s purchasing power.

4 Likes

Hot dog takes a beating.

Talking about mine.

Nightly.

15 Likes

They lose upwards of 40 million a year from the rotisserie chickens being sold so cheap.

Classic loss leader.

And their food court and the 25 cent bottles of water they sell are a customer courtesy rather than a revenue stream.

12 Likes

Bakery, food court, deli barely bring revenue in for them. A good bakery brings in maybe 1-3% of the revenue for Costco.

The food court is there to just please the customers.

7 Likes

For real? I can believe this because it is so much food for the price. They also put it into the very back where you have to walk through all the other good stuff.

FDR promised a chicken in every pot but Costco delivered

5 Likes

I used to pick up one or two chickens a week to feed to my dogs

2 Likes

The chicken is a loss leader. I’m pretty sure most people will pick up a whole cart full of products when picking up a chicken. Not bad for losing $2-3

4 Likes

The number was from their CFO back in 2015, so the losses are greater now given the increased costs of everything across-the-board.

At the same time they make it work and the company still makes a shitload of money and has cultivated a massive cult following so they’re definitely doing things right.

It is a brilliant play from Costco, because every day they have literally thousands of members just stopping in to grab a chicken for dinner and walking out with close to a $100 worth of other random bullshit. It’s not a coincidence that no matter the location, the chickens are always at the back of the warehouse.

4 Likes

The founder of Costco is definitely an OGer. Threatened to kill the CEO for increasing the price of food court hot dogs.

8 Likes

Just saw a meme here about Costco hotdogs, think they now cost them $4 38 (for meal? With water?). Think charge $1.00.

The graph just goes up and up obviously.

1 Like

VTCO is right - and they do it deliberately betting on moron’s to overspend on another shit to make up for the loss…

1 Like

In Korea they lose money on onions, ketchup and mustard in the food court. I watched a documentary about it.

What am I doing with my life?

4 Likes

I heard a girl set up a burrito stand next to a night club and made it out of Costco chickens and Costco stuff. She was making bank

3 Likes

He wasn’t serious

1 Like

Good for her (and clever)…

It’s still real to me damnit.

2 Likes

Lol just let them bang then

2 Likes
2 Likes

I see fuckers filling up bags full of chopped onions at the food court when they had them! Someone told me they saw guys filling up mustard a ketchup too!

2 Likes