Does Costco lose money on rotisserie chicken and food court?

I fucking love Koreans, awesome people!

Thread reminded me to start buying more Sams Club $5 chickens when I go. I’ll just pull them and freeze what we can’t eat over three days. Can’t beat the price and no cooking/cleanup required.

2 Likes

Especially on rooftops!

4 Likes

And libraries!

3 Likes

Gambling costco kimchi eating rooftop Koreans are the tops

2 Likes

I’ll start buying six at a time and using the meat for frozen burritos we want to make anyway for “meal prep” ready to eat food.

Lets see how long they stay $5-$6 though.

Even in my local butcher, chicken thighs are up form 0.69 a lb all the way up to $2 a lb now for fucking chicken thighs. That used to be my dirt cheap BBQ go-to. Chicken thighs with a great rub or a great marinade on a smoker with apple or hickory is gourmet eating if you know how to really BBQ and it used to be almost free besides your time and effort.

2 Likes

9 Likes

You can stir fry that shit

There was a guy with a hotdog stand at Home Depot which was next door. His hotdogs were $4.50 and the same size. My friend asked why his hotdogs were so expensive, the guy said his hotdogs were kosher. My friend said he didn’t care he wasn’t Jewish and went to Costco

4 Likes

One of the Costcos near us (there are three) had 27 $1 million days in 2021. It’s nice of them to sell us some hotdogs and sodas possibly at cost.

3 Likes

Costco’s model is delivering “member value.” Their profit is driven damn near 100% by annual membership dues.

4 Likes

Agreed and selectively placing the most marked up items where most congestion via customers occur while hammering on costs via the supply base.

Unbelievable model which I agree with 100% via running a business…

2 Likes

They take the leftover rotisserie chicken, shred them, vacuum seal it and resell cold.

I would pick those up when I do buffalo chicken dip for holidays and parties…they’re awesome for it.

2 Likes

Looking forward to watching it.

Honestly, real life shit, no matter how mundane, is very interesting to me. The fantasy world of movies, TV and even sport has become useless to me. (Outside of the combat sports).

Really like some of the vice documentary stuff, providing it isn’t one of their political bullshit things.

3 Likes

Also make chicken salad, chicken wraps, chicken soup, et cetera.

Very efficient system they got over there

2 Likes

You are on a roll dude. Laughing a a lot of your comments today. What’s up? What you smoking over there? Pass it along…

You all will think this is crazy, but I like the rotisserie chicken from my Walmart more than I do Costco’s. The reason is I like my chicken overcooked, even slightly burnt. Never liked cooked chicken that people consider juicy/moist, to me it tastes under cooked.

2 Likes

Yup, they make a shitload and use it for everything…so to answer the OP’s question…no they’re not losing money on it.

You should be publicly flogged…that is one of my biggest pet peeves when people make chicken of any kind, they overcook it so bad because they’re scared and it tastes like shit

2 Likes

Maybe.

One of my friends owned a small business. He once explained the concept of a “loss leader” to me.

A loss leader is a good or service that the store loses money on. This brings customers into the store. The store hopes the customers will buy enough other goods or services to offset the loss and make a profit.

2 Likes