Does Eddie Cummins have the best butterfly guard?

As far as todays game is concerned? I don't count MG, he's retired 

The Closed Guard -

As far as todays game is concerned? I don't count MG, he's retired 

Bruno Malficine has a pretty good butterfly game.

it seems like it. that thing is so dangerous and nobody really passes it. ex: tanquino tried and tried. 

even had that amazing back take at f2w from butterfly and that was a thing of beauty.

but butterfly should be the main guard for nogi and the danaher guys have realized this and focused a lot of time on it which is why theyre so dominant with it. as well as marcelo. i had a nogi coach that simplified the nogi game to butterfly, back attacks, front head lock chokes and leg locks and everything else was just additions to compliment those but thats the game that needs to be mastered. and now it seems like dds believes the same.

so yeah eddie might be the best at it. i wonder if he ever practices passing in the gym.

TakinAllFades -

it seems like it. that thing is so dangerous and nobody really passes it. ex: tanquino tried and tried. 

even had that amazing back take at f2w from butterfly and that was a thing of beauty.

but butterfly should be the main guard for nogi and the danaher guys have realized this and focused a lot of time on it which is why theyre so dominant with it. as well as marcelo. i had a nogi coach that simplified the nogi game to butterfly, back attacks, front head lock chokes and leg locks and everything else was just additions to compliment those but thats the game that needs to be mastered. and now it seems like dds believes the same.

so yeah eddie might be the best at it. i wonder if he ever practices passing in the gym.

I like that butterfly works well in no gi and gi. But I think its more of a no gi game

Good question. It's up there for sure. His guard retention is underrated and he has a lot of good outright butterfly sweeps that don't go right into leg entanglements, as well as some good front headlock transitions.

Of all time I think Marcelo garcia and Leo Santos have the best butterfly guards.

Formiga 

mata_leaos -

Good question. It's up there for sure. His guard retention is underrated and he has a lot of good outright butterfly sweeps that don't go right into leg entanglements, as well as some good front headlock transitions.

Of all time I think Marcelo garcia and Leo Santos have the best butterfly guards.

Do you find Butterfly to me a more efficent Nogi game than Gi?

Rafeal "Formiga" Barbosa.

Formiga