does it matter which company of puzzle mats ?

I'm looking into buyging some puzzle mats for my basement and noticed there all about the same dimensions but vary in price. Rationally, one wants go for the lower priced mats but i was wondering what your guys opinions were of these lower priced ones? By lower priced i mean a 29$ 1mx1m mat

IF you are dead set on puzzle mats make sure that you are comparing the same thickness.

Some are textured some are not.

i would rather get something else but they are the only thing within my price range, them and folding mats. Ideally, i would rather have flexirolls but there so damn expensive to order from the USA cause of shipping (additional 300$)

"Similar" dimensions don't necessarily interlock with each other. We had two brands for awhile that didn't quite match, and it made the mats come apart frequently.

Jigsaw mats are crap compared to tatami unfortunately. In my experience they are a little too grippy and restrict one's movement.

Puzzle mats aren't as bad as some say they are. Especially for home use. Compared to tatami, they are definitely not as good, but boy the price difference is hard to ignore.

Plus, you could always buy a tarp later on to cover them so they become a "faster" surface. If you're putting them directly on concrete, I suggest buying a cheap roll of carpet pad to put under them. It will make a world of difference.

I priced the same area for Swain tatami and puzzle mats many years back. Swain was nearly $10,000. I paid $1300 for the puzzle mats. Not bad for 1100 sq ft. Of course the wholesale account helped out too.

Hate puzzle mats, the ones I've trained on have always been like concrete and offered almost no cushioning. Tatami FTW

James

SMACDADDY - Puzzle mats aren't as bad as some say they are. Especially for home use. Compared to tatami, they are definitely not as good, but boy the price difference is hard to ignore.
You get what you pay for.

contact a furniture manufacturer in your area. they usually have tons of left over scraps that you could use for padding. i was able to find enough 1 1/2" polyethylene foam to do a 21' x 42' mat and wall padding for $475. and they came in about 3-5' sections.

whats your guys opinion on folding mats ?

I have 2in folding Norberts and have worked throws on 1-3/8 Norbert folding mats. Much prefer some type of Judo tatami mats, safer for knees and ankles as the foot doesn't get stuck. If just groundwork folding will be fine.