Does Jimmy have what it takes?

What do you guys think? Does Jimmy Pedro have what it
takes to
go to the Olympics and win Gold?

-judokid

Not if Chuck has anything to say about it.....

JudoKid21 is a tool

The Korean and Russian players are going to be hard to beat IMO.

Of course, Pedro has to have it still, or he wouldn't bother coming back. If someone beats him, then that person would have "it" as well.

Here is another question:

Is the fact that Pedro has lost to a couple American players lately a reflection more on him shaking off rust, or a reflection on the added depth and experience at 73kg in the US?

What other American did he lose to?

Reser and Jefferson

ill say this much. the biggest difference between pedro and reser and jefferson is the simple fact that jimmy has been at it on a very high international level since 88. the others had to wait their turn to get the shots he has been getting.
once they got the chances, they have done well with them. reser and jefferson and orly all have medals from A evens in europe. Jefferson won the pan-ams twice, Orly won is as well. i dont think ryan fought in it yet. Ryan has won the british open as well.

they are talented. ryan is the youngest by far so his future can go on for many, many years and who knows what he will accomplish after this if he chooses to continue. Orly and Jefferson are 27 (orly is older i think), odds on them sticking around for 4 more years are hard to judge.

they are all very talented athletes. they didnt beat jimmy by a fluke, that much i can say honestly.

-resnick

The Questing is do you think that Jimmy is the same player as he was in 98 and 99?

The answer would be no. I will satte that he is a smarter fighter.
Age does this to you. When you are younger they way most of you
are there is a bit more grunting and butting heads - as you get
older you want to take care of the property a bit more and you
start to use your head a whole lot more.

Jimmy is a great fighter, I will never take that from him - can he
take it all the way? I think we should wait until the trials are over
to ponder that question. This is a great time in that division - this
didvision above all others has always had more depth than I have
ever seen. Anyone of those guys could win the trials and
represent us well at the games, and that is what it should be like
in all divisions - too bad it hasn't happened there yet.

Anyway it turns out - GO USA GO - at 73k

David

aaron,
we all know jimmy isnt the same fighter he was in 98/99. but we also know that the other guys have been improving rapidly.
its very hard to judge how this is going to turn out. all the same, i think its about the most exciting thing to come along in US Judo for some time.

-resnick

i don't think it's fair to say jimmy pedro is not the same fighter as he was when he won the Worlds. he is still and always will be one of the best this country has ever seen. i think it's a testiment to the others in his division (reser, jefferson to name a couple) because they are now competing at the same level as him. i think the trails will be great and you have 3 guys that know each other very well and nobody will have an easy walk onto the 2004 team. my hearts with SJSU though! Go roomy!

Date: 04-Dec-03 01:56 PM
776 Total Posts

" This is a great time in that division - this didvision above all others has always had more depth than I have ever seen. Anyone of those guys could win the trials and represent us well at the games, and that is what it should be like in all divisions - too bad it hasn't happened there yet."

David

What leads you to believe that anybody but Jimmy would represent us well at the Olympics? Jefferson and Fuentes did not win a match at the Worlds. They have yet to prove themselves on the world stage.

TruthWizard- Jefferson beat Jimmy at the U.S. Open this year, he
choked Jimmy out.

-judokid

Date: 16-Dec-03 05:14 PM
9 Total Posts

TruthWizard- Jefferson beat Jimmy at the U.S. Open this year, he choked Jimmy out.
-judokid

judokid,

What does that mean? Can Chuck now take credit for all of Jimmy's stats? Does this mean Chuck can fight for a medal at the Olympics? Is Chuck a World Champ...he had his shot and lost first round.

TW

Welcome back TW.. ill at least be cordial in the beginning.

now. nobody would give jimmys stats and results to anybody else. JK21 was only pointing out that jimmy can, and has, been beat by americans lately. in fact, the only people he has lost to since returning are americans.

chuck did choke jimmy, what does that mean..? it means chuck is dangerous and everybody knows it. it means he isnt a joke, that when jimmy and chuck face eachother next the potential for a real battle exists.

and, dont sit there on your non-existant high horse judging the performance of chuck at the one and only worlds he has ever been to. everybody knows that your first experience there is as full of distractions, nerves and "awe" as it is skill and ability.

i can promise you that chuck's talent level is as high as anybody's ive trained with, anywhere. it wouldnt shock me if chuck gets his A+ ranking in Paris. nor would it shock me if jimmy goes and does the same in Germany.

guaranteed, no matter waht you think, and its a good thing that people like you have no real say in how things in US Judo are run, that the trials at 60, 66, 73, and 81 kg are all going to be very real events with very talented people fighting one another.

if you want to talk turkey then bring up a worthwhile position. not one of your constant jock-riding. bring up something like, "Why has jimmy done so well when the others havent yet?"

thats worth discussing. your jockriding just makes me think you cant remove somebody's dirt from off your nose.

-resnick

Josh,

Once again I am simply stating the facts. "Jockriding"? Where does Chuck's ass end and your head start?

Why are you mentioning 60, 66 and 81kgs? I didn't say anything about those divisions.

How would you know what it feels like the first time on a world stage? Jimmy Pedro, Liliko Ogasawara, Kevin Asano, Jason Morris, Robin Takemori, Margie Castro, Mary Lewis, Christine Pennick, Hilary Wolf and Brett Barron (just to name a few) all fought for medals at their first worlds.

"i can promise you that chuck's talent level is as high as anybody's ive trained with, anywhere. "

What makes you an authority on talent? Don't be confused, I'm not saying that I am, But then again I am not going around saying I am.

-Truth

usaclown. back TF off. this has nothing to do with you, and i dont think you want it to.

TW.. i know who did well at their first worlds, and i know lots of people who havent. there are european champions who go out in the first round, silver meallists from 2001 losing to players from Angola, and on and on...

if you want to be critical of somebody's performance at the world championships you need to take all things into consideration. which, naturally you dont unless it has anything to do with putting all your support behind pedro or morris.

i think chuck can be jimmy. i also think orly DID beat jimmy at the nationals. ryan has beat him too. im a fan of the level of competition. i used chuck as my example because he was the guy who went to the worlds, simple as that.

what makes me a good judge of talent? idunno. maybe being around for a bit...? maybe having trained with some good players under some really good coaches? maybe even having fought a couple people here and there. idunno. maybe because i know what somebody who i train with every day is capable of should he shine on a particular day..

then again, dont take my word for it.. come on out here and see for yourself.

and, i brought up the other divisions becuase you see it fit to put down everybody in the US all the time. personally, id love to see you put your fuckin big mouth on the mat sometime...

you are really tough with your little troll buddies on here, but im positive you amount to nothing more than a has-been or never-was who cant accept it.

-resnick

usaclown, Josh and I will be waiting on ya brother man. Bring it.

oh.. well, so be it then. im shaking in my boots. oh wait, no.. im not.

clown.. so long as you hide behind that name and arent willing to say who you are, it matters not what you say.. as soon as you unveil yourself, oh my.. it still wont matter who you are to me.

at the very least, im truthful in what i say and do and i dont hide it. come out and unveil yourself, perhaps then a real conversation can be had and your trolling crap with TW can end.

-resnick