does Jon Jones beat Cyril Gane?

youngestgrandpa -
Ryann Von Doom -
YourStoryisCoolBro -

Faster, more aggressive, more experienced.

Idk if he will have the same power as the other heavies but I think he will beat most of the challenges he takes up at the higher weight.  

He hasnt been that aggressive the last few fights. 

He killed DC, after that he looked like he trains once a week, probably no worth opponent

This is how it looks to me too.  Coasting.  He knows how good he is.  Coincidentally, that makes it a lot closer than it should be... complacent old-dog vs hungry up-and-comer.

MMApurist -

Jon's last 3 fights:

Dominick Reyes - Decision - Many thought he lost 3-2

Thiago Santos - Split Decision - Many even a judge thought he lost

Anthony Smith - Decision - Uneventful fight

If you put any of those 3 against Gane they would get destroyed. 2 of them even were Middleweights not long ago... 

I know Gane just got done with a boring fight but it was a dominant fight, he won every round, and his opponent was dangerous. I think we have to wait and see how Jon does at HW because he could better but he could be worse too. And if he is the Jon from his last 3 fights then he loses to Gane in my opinion.

"dangerous"

That's how I took it too.  Too much respect for his opponent.  Roz is a KILLER himself.

Just to be clear, I think Gane KO's JBJ.  It'll be like Hendo-Bisping and Vitor-Bisping.  In both of those fights, you could see the moment where Bisping knew his striking wasn't anywhere near the other guys, not in terms of technique OR power.  Same thing with Jones.  Gane marches forward and hunts down Jones whose only hope was an in-and-out strategy.  Jones gets trapped once or twice and panics, then the big power happens.  Bump this thread a year from now when it happens in real life.

2 Likes

Serious question: what's the hardest Jones has ever been hit?  I'm trying to think of it, I'm assuming it was against Gus?  I think the Santos and Reyes fights were close, but I'm not sure I'd actually say he was HURT by a punch, was he?  Honestly can't remember.

I think Gane hurts him.  That jab alone kept Roz from coming forward.  What does that big meat hook do to Jones?  Wouldn't blow me away if Gane KO'ed him with that jab.

jgiveshead -

Serious question: what's the hardest Jones has ever been hit?  I'm trying to think of it, I'm assuming it was against Gus?  I think the Santos and Reyes fights were close, but I'm not sure I'd actually say he was HURT by a punch, was he?  Honestly can't remember.

Didn’t he get cracked right at the end of the Glover fight and go slightly wobbly? 

Jones has an excellent chin but any chin can be cracked by a heavy weight punch.  Jones has shown sloppiness when fighting a skilled striker that is his size. 

I think Jones shows good game planning and make adjustments on the fly. I think he would get Gane to the ground and finish him with brutal ground and pound 

jgiveshead -

That was a boring ass fight.  But Cyril was toying with a phenomenal striker.  Any time Cyril clinched up, he looked way better.  I think Jones gets manhandled and outboxed.

No way. Jones takes the fight to the ground. IMO DC would handle Gane easily, especially from 2-4 years ago DC. I think Jones doesn't fuck around at HW and uses his wrestling.

I know this wont be a popular opinion, but much of the reason behind Jones success lies with his size and his length. At hw he wont have this and will get demolished IF he ever actually fights up there. Me thinks its just a bargaining tool and eventually he'll fight Israel/Jan unless the picture perfect HW champ emerges - Stipe retires and say Derrick Lewis beats Ngannou for title in another boring dec who, no offense to Derrick, is taylor made for Jon. He goes up, wins and retires undefeated heavyweight and light heavyweight champ and arguable goat. He's not fighting these monsters like ngannou and gane where he has none of his physical weapons. Hes going to be 1 and done at HW.

2 Likes
Robert Thomas -
jgiveshead -

That was a boring ass fight.  But Cyril was toying with a phenomenal striker.  Any time Cyril clinched up, he looked way better.  I think Jones gets manhandled and outboxed.

No way. Jones takes the fight to the ground. IMO DC would handle Gane easily, especially from 2-4 years ago DC. I think Jones doesn't fuck around at HW and uses his wrestling.

This post is a good example of MMA math being fucky.

I agree DC handles Gane... REEEALLY bad matchup for Gane.  Similarly, Gane beats Jones, and Jones beats DC.  

There was a similar situation with the women's bantams a few years back (well, what, it might actually be something like 10 now).  Ronda beats Miesha 10x out of 10, Holly beats Ronda 10x out of 10, and Miesha beats Holly 10x out of 10.  Revolving door with no clear champ.

Of course that whole argument might be past its expiry date since I don't think DC is relevant anymore at HW with guys like Francis and Stipe hanging out at the top.

It'll be interesting to see how guys like Roz and Gane perform against guys like Derrick Lewis and Francis.

Damn... did HW just get exciting?  There are some BIIIIG hitters up there.  Reminds me of the glory days of the K1 open weight grand prixs, the PRIDE tourneys... man.

I'd like to see Mark Hunt vs this new generation of heavy hitters.

Fuck if this isn't the most wandering response ever posted on the UG.

God Bless America.

Dangerousdoug -

I know this wont be a popular opinion, but much of the reason behind Jones success lies with his size and his length. At hw he wont have this and will get demolished IF he ever actually fights up there. Me thinks its just a bargaining tool and eventually he'll fight Israel/Jan unless the picture perfect HW champ emerges - Stipe retires and say Derrick Lewis beats Ngannou for title in another boring dec who, no offense to Derrick, is taylor made for Jon. He goes up, wins and retires undefeated heavyweight and light heavyweight champ and arguable goat. He's not fighting these monsters like ngannou and gane where he has none of his physical weapons. Hes going to be 1 and done at HW.

I actually think you're right.  If he wanted to fight at HW, he WOULD HAVE ALREADY.  He's been talking about it for years.  There have been plenty of big opportunities and he's balked at them all when it came time to put pencil to paper.  His slime ball manager Malki Kawa always walks it back for him.

That Instagram post the other day confirmed everything I already believed.  "HW" Jones is fat and out of shape.  By the time he gets into shape he's going to be 225, 230 tops.  A 230lb conqueror mentality like Hendo--that guy fights at HW.  A 230lb mental midget like Jones--that guy hides at LHW his entire life.

Ben Gardners boat -
jgiveshead -

Didn’t he get cracked right at the end of the Glover fight and go slightly wobbly? 

His early LHW wins were so fucking dramatic that it's hard for me to remember them clearly.  The way that he yanked Glover's elbow/shoulder out of the socket, the way that he choked Machida and dropped him face first on the floor, the SAVAGE muay thai beating he put on Shogun, beating Hamill and Vera into unrecognizable messes.  Even that Vitor armbar had so much drama, I don't remember the rest of the fight even though I know Jones ultimately got the better of him standing.

If Glover's the answer, though, damn... who else has to go back almost 10 years since the last time they even got hit hard.

Damn I really wanted to see Rumble vs Jones.  I think Jones wins, but I also think Rumble touches him once or twice first.

jgiveshead -
Robert Thomas -
jgiveshead -

I agree DC handles Gane... REEEALLY bad matchup for Gane.  Similarly, Gane beats Jones, and Jones beats DC.  

There was a similar situation with the women's bantams a few years back (well, what, it might actually be something like 10 now).  Ronda beats Miesha 10x out of 10, Holly beats Ronda 10x out of 10, and Miesha beats Holly 10x out of 10.  Revolving door with no clear champ.

Of course that whole argument might be past its expiry date since I don't think DC is relevant anymore at HW with guys like Francis and Stipe hanging out at the top.

It'll be interesting to see how guys like Roz and Gane perform against guys like Derrick Lewis and Francis.

Damn... did HW just get exciting?  There are some BIIIIG hitters up there.  Reminds me of the glory days of the K1 open weight grand prixs, the PRIDE tourneys... man.

God Bless America.

Miesha beats Holly 10xs out of 10? Holly was winning all 4 rounds going into the 5th of their only fight, so I honestly don't see how you draw that conclusion

Liner81 -
jgiveshead -
Robert Thomas -
jgiveshead -

God Bless America.

Miesha beats Holly 10xs out of 10? Holly was winning all 4 rounds going into the 5th of their only fight, so I honestly don't see how you draw that conclusion

It's possible I remember it wrong.  I do remember thinking it was a revolving door at the time.

1 Like
jgiveshead -

Just to be clear, I think Gane KO's JBJ.  It'll be like Hendo-Bisping and Vitor-Bisping.  In both of those fights, you could see the moment where Bisping knew his striking wasn't anywhere near the other guys, not in terms of technique OR power.  Same thing with Jones.  Gane marches forward and hunts down Jones whose only hope was an in-and-out strategy.  Jones gets trapped once or twice and panics, then the big power happens.  Bump this thread a year from now when it happens in real life.

I don’t think he will be I will give you props if your right

Honestly I think the real heavy hitters pose Jones biggest threat. Ngannou is his hardest fight. Lewis & Rozenstruik would be interesting. 

I don’t see him having trouble with anyone else, Stipe included 

Really hard to say. I’m not sure what to expect from Jones at heavyweight. On one hand I think he seems to struggle with guys his size, yet on the other I won’t be surprised if he rips through everyone at heavyweight with ease. Most heavyweights are unskilled, slow, and lacking cardio. But they’re definitely strong and he won’t enjoy a huge reach advantage. I wouldn’t bet on his first couple of heavyweight fights. 

Gane had TERRIBLE defense on Saturday night! Arms flailing, head down, extremely flinchy.... I mean, I get it - no one wants to get touched by Rozenstruik but Jones will be all up in that ass with that seemingly awful punch defence. 

That jab was among the best we've ever seen in MMA - am I wrong? He was the fight from that very first jab. Rozen was shook after that and just fought to survive.

Jones lost to Reyes and Santos at LHW.

Against even heavier guys, he’s in trouble.