Does KO = concussion??

From your link...

"Typically, the KO/TKO is either vascular or a DIRECT INSULT TO THE BRAIN TISSUE from it being compressed against the skull."

Well, I'm assuming you're all uppity because you think the word "either" implies that a vascular knockout doesn't "insult" the brain tissue. However, any time your head accelerates sufficiently to render you unconscious, you can pretty safely bet that your brain collided with your skull, "insulting" brain tissue like a mother fucker. This theory is bolstered, I believe, by the fact that it's widely accepted by professionals that having even one concussion increases your chances of having one in the future, implying that some permanent physiological damage occurs. (Despite this, concussions are typically characterized functionally, rather than structurally.)

Further, the Congress of Neurological Surgeons defines a concussion as "a clinical syndrome characterized by immediate and transient post traumatic impairment of neural function, such as alteration of consciousness, disturbance of vision and/or equilibrium due to brain stem involvement". I hate to break it to you, but losing consciousness counts as an impairment of neural function.

"Jbarswill [sic], I will await your apology."

Well, I believe you'll be waiting for a long time, but I'm an open-minded fellow. If you find me a peer-reviewed journal study that cites an instance of someone being rendered unconscious as a result of a direct impact with the skull yet being declared as having NOT suffered a concussion, I'll apologize...and I'll donate $20 to a charity of your choice...and I'll fuck your sister for you.

Whaddaya say, chap?

jason may be a tool, but he is absolutely correct.  (just kidding jas - how's life in g-ville?).  the definition of a concussion, from my understanding, is any alteration in mental status after head trauma.  if you are knocked out, even if for a milisecond, you have suffered from an alteration in your mental status - thus you fit the definition of a concussion.

the controversy for the most parts nowadays, lies in determining how soon one should be allowed to return to activities after such an injury.  this is determined by a variety of factors, including the length of loss of conciousness, residual issues such as headache, vision changes, etc... 

here are links to two good articles on head injury:
this first one is pretty simplistic, but gives some basic info -
http://familydoctor.org/458.xml

this one is a little more in depth, but gives much more information with regards to grading concussions and when one can return to activities - http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010915/1007.html

i have worked fights in 9 different states and the rules vary tremendously, depending on state commision (if any), sanctioning bodies, etc...  bottom line, head trauma is not a good thing, but an inherent risk in this sport.  even seemingly minor trauma can be quite devestating, especially if repeated before one has the chance to adequately recover.

lanway ling, md

ps - lawdy, thanks for the kind words.  i've been meaning to drop you and skip a line.  hope all is well up north.

I'm a sex tool!

Lanway, I'm in Chicago now, but things here are clippin' along just dandy.

Oh, and that second link is useful. Thanks. The following seems to confirm that structural damage always attends a KO:

"Axonal shear injury is the primary pathologic feature of traumatic brain injury in all levels of severity.14 The extent of axonal injury is suggested by the duration of loss of consciousness and post-traumatic amnesia."

from stedmans medical dictionary:

concussion (kon-kshn)

1. A violent shaking or jarring.
  2. An injury of a soft structure, as the brain, resulting from a blow or violent shaking. Syn: commotio

[L. concussio, fr. con- cutio, pp. -cussus, to shake violently]

from this definition, it does not appear that one need even loss of conciousness to have a concussion.  from a practical, and more widely accepted use of the term, however, i stand behind my previous statement that any alteration in mental status after head trauma is considered a concussion - whether it be from brain contusion or vascular occlusion is irrelevant to me, as far as immediate assessment is concerned (although physiologically it would be somewhat important).

regardless of the mechanism, if you get knocked out, you will get a minimum suspension in most states which have athletic commissions overseeing their bouts. 

as far as finding you a peer-reviewed article that fits your specifications, i have neither the time nor the interest to do so.  and i highly doubt you will find many peer-reviewed articles stating every instance of a condition is always caused of one specific event.  in my book (and many others - although not everyones), however, knockout = concussion.

lanway ling, md

"Not only do those articles presented not agree"

What articles are you talking about? That single, short, non-technical write up the link for which you posted? You're reading way too much into her wording there.

If you hadn't noticed, there's another thread on here where this is discussed. Note what a doctor who specializes in brain injury says:

"...however if you lose consciousness by a traumatic blow you have suffered at the least a concussion."

One last thought experiment...let's suppose you're correct, that some knockouts do not involve the brain colliding with the inside of the skull. Now, we both agree that people can have concussions without being knocked out, right? This means that there is some degree of head acceleration that is sufficient to force the brain into the skull, yet it is insufficient to induce the other phenomenon you claim is responsible for unconsciousness, right? That would lead one to believe that any force sufficient to cause a "vascular occlusion" knockout is also sufficient to slam the brain into the skull, right?

Now, of course, it's possible that these blood vessels are in, say, only one place and that the head has to rotate in a specific plane to affect them. However, on the face of it, it doesn't sound very plausible.

Listen, I think you're dead wrong here, but again, I'm an open-minded fellow. Please point me to the publication from which you've learned this supposed etiology for a knockout.

KO = Concussion

Why do you think it is a valid argument that MMA is safer then boxing because the ref will stop the fight when a fighter looks to have lost consciousness even for a moment?

It is possible to regain consciousness soon after losing consciousness but the fact that you lost consciousness even for a second means you have suffered a concussion. Regardless of the grade of concussion you have suffered if you immediately suffer another concussion that may result in serious brain damage.

In boxing somebody may be concussed momentarily, recover, and look alert enough to continue, but that may be due to all the adrenaline and then BAM they get KO'd again and it is that second concussion in such a short span of time that can cause major damage.

In MMA when a fighter is KO'd even momentarily the fight is stopped. Also if they look unable to defend themselves the fight is stopped because a sign of a minor concussion (still a concussion) is confusion and lose of balance.

Concussions are no joke. I have suffered two myself (1 year apart, both from playing Rugby).