Does Satoshi Ishii have a chance in the UFC?

Ishii has five straight wins in the last seven months since his loss to Fedor. Three of those wins have come over UFC veterans.

If the UFC does a show in Japan in 2014 they should definitely give Ishii a matchup against a middle of the line HW like Schaub or Mittrione.

He needs to fight at 185lbs and station his training camps in the US. Then yes, UFC better sign him baby. He's young too, only 26 I'd like to see him win 1 or 2 more before being signed too, 9-2-1 is a sort of limp record.

He has no future at HW in the UFC, I have my doubts about LHW but 185 I've love to see him compete.

If everyone wore gis, sure Phone Post

At 205 or 185. But to be fair most ufc hws couldn't take him down Phone Post

caseharts - 

At 205 or 185. But to be fair most ufc hws couldn't take him down Phone Post

I sort of giggled but it's true, Olympic gold medalist or not he has no future at Heavyweight. Also, without the Gi your throws in Judo are horribly limited as opposed to the Gi.

At 185lbs I'm sure he'd be a physical specimen, I'm sure he's a brilliant grappler who will only be getting better too. I think he's been training with Machida, Hall, Munoz ect Very good people around his size and everything to help him grow.

Still at 205lbs put him next to Bader, how do you really think that fight is going to go? At 185lbs put him next to Carmont and I think he actually can win it.

Unfortunately, he will probably never fight at 185lbs and probably fair poorly in the UFC at LHW/HW.

Poptarts -
caseharts -  At 205 or 185. But to be fair most ufc hws couldn't take him down Phone Post

I sort of giggled but it's true, Olympic gold medalist or not he has no future at Heavyweight. Also, without the Gi your throws in Judo are horribly limited as opposed to the Gi.

At 185lbs I'm sure he'd be a physical specimen, I'm sure he's a brilliant grappler who will only be getting better too. I think he's been training with Machida, Hall, Munoz ect Very good people around his size and everything to help him grow.

Still at 205lbs put him next to Bader, how do you really think that fight is going to go? At 185lbs put him next to Carmont and I think he actually can win it.

Unfortunately, he will probably never fight at 185lbs and probably fair poorly in the UFC at LHW/HW.

Yup. Be wouldn't be beating them but I struggle to see struve taking him down even travus Browne or gonzaga or big ben. They'd all beat him on the feet though imo. Or even on the ground but unless they're a high level wrestler I don't see them getting him down. Ie cain, stipe, etc Phone Post

caseharts - 
Poptarts -
caseharts -  At 205 or 185. But to be fair most ufc hws couldn't take him down Phone Post

Yup. Be wouldn't be beating them but I struggle to see struve taking him down even travus Browne or gonzaga or big ben. They'd all beat him on the feet though imo. Or even on the ground but unless they're a high level wrestler I don't see them getting him down. Ie cain, stipe, etc Phone Post

I think guys like Barnett, Mir, Cain, Cormier, Soa, probably a few others being able to get him down and dominate. Junior could for sure take him down if he wanted too, not sure about Fabricio but yeah I get it.

I really hope he comes to the UFC at 185lbs and does well....I really can't bear to see any more Japanese stars failing like Akiyama or Yamamoto, he's a great ambassador for Japan and a true martial artist.

Poptarts -
caseharts - 
Poptarts -

I think guys like Barnett, Mir, Cain, Cormier, Soa, probably a few others being able to get him down and dominate. Junior could for sure take him down if he wanted too, not sure about Fabricio but yeah I get it.

I really hope he comes to the UFC at 185lbs and does well....I really can't bear to see any more Japanese stars failing like Akiyama or Yamamoto, he's a great ambassador for Japan and a true martial artist.

I agree with all of that except mir Phone Post

I could definitely see LHW but MW? That is a huge cut.

catman - I could definitely see LHW but MW? That is a huge cut.

You could "see" 205lbs? He's already fought at 205lbs.......Really, can you imagine him getting passed Phil? Bader? Rashad? Glover? Gustafsson? ect ect...Man he's tiny next to most these guys. They'd be taking him down or knocking him out.

At 185lbs it's also steep but he fits into that division much better to me. Costa? Cung Le? Bisping? Munoz? You think he's bigger than Okami or Jacare type guys, really? 185lbs is where he needs to be.

I hate to admit it, but I think the days of grapplers entering the UFC without a serious striking pedigree are over. Ronda might be the exception, but I think a lot of that has to do with women's MMA, too.

There are just too many fighters who can do well enough on the ground to make it a stalemate at best. The days of Royce lulling Dan Severn into a choke for a half hour are over. If you can't tap someone in 45 seconds or land a KO shot on the mat, the ground portion in MMA is becoming almost irrelevant. Transitional holds and positions are the the only things left.

Domingo - I hate to admit it, but I think the days of grapplers entering the UFC without a serious striking pedigree are over. Ronda might be the exception, but I think a lot of that has to do with women's MMA, too.

There are just too many fighters who can do well enough on the ground to make it a stalemate at best. The days of Royce lulling Dan Severn into a choke for a half hour are over. If you can't tap someone in 45 seconds or land a KO shot on the mat, the ground portion in MMA is becoming almost irrelevant. Transitional holds and positions are the the only things left.

While I don't agree with what you are saying all that much I must respond to the point you are trying to validate.

It's entirely the rules fault. The sport began biased to striking which is awful. They made standups on the ground part of mixed martial arts to prevent the guy from top to stall but now that leads to most guys on bottom stalling for standups.

The rules need to score takedowns as they can deal damage, aggression, octagon control ect but once on the ground guard needs to be scored as a neutral position ( For example Mousasi wins the Mo fight, dominantly) scoring unbiased as a educated judges. Also no standups in mixed martial arts I think...When guys are inactive on the feet they don't set them on the ground.

PS: your opinion is very wrong though.

You're arguing for rule changes you want rather than the reality of the rules. If anything they're more likely to become ever less grappling friendly.
The days of grapplers entering MMA as-is are over. Look no further than Jacare and Roger. Notice who is doing well (and how) vs. who isn't. Phone Post 3.0

Domingo - You're arguing for rule changes you want rather than the reality of the rules. If anything they're more likely to become ever less grappling friendly.
The days of grapplers entering MMA as-is are over. Look no further than Jacare and Roger. Notice who is doing well (and how) vs. who isn't. Phone Post 3.0

Jacare is submitting people? and I thought he beat luke.

You mean look at Mighty Mouse? GSP? Benson? Cain? Maia? Jacare? Werdum? Askren? Chael? Okami? Frankie? Gunnar Nelson? About another Mazillion successful mixed martial artists too....You really presenting your incorrect opinions as facts...Fuck u goof.

Didn't Fedor give him brain damage, Phone Post 3.0

UGCKIRTT_SonofJockstrap - 
caseharts - 
Domingo - You're arguing for rule changes you want rather than the reality of the rules. If anything they're more likely to become ever less grappling friendly.

I think the point he's making is Jacare has evolved as a striker, whereas a 17 year old girl stands a chance in a boxing match with Roger.

Saying fighters need to be well rounded and that grappling is increasingly less effective are two entirely different things.

Capisce?

UGCKIRTT_SonofJockstrap - 
caseharts - 

I think the point he's making is Jacare has evolved as a striker, whereas a 17 year old girl stands a chance in a boxing match with Roger.

hes evolved but thats not how hes winning fights. Roger is also much newer to the sport. people take potshots at roger. Look at Maia hes evolved but he knows what wins him his fights. WRESTLING AND BJJ. They both have been in mma much longer. A roger gracie not cutting weight is still a worthy opponent for most people. He needs to move to the US and focus on wrestling and bulking up for 205. 185 was a big issue. 

simply put: great martial artists evolve, but never forget their strengths.

People should go easy on him losing to fedor, that shouldnt count to negatively on his future potential, its freaking fedor where talking about here....

Ishii's natural class is LHW. He may be small for HW but he would be completely emaciated at MW.

I'd be totally down for Satoshi Ishii getting signed. He wouldn't be a Top 10 LHW by any stretch of the imagination but I think he could beat the Cody Donovans of the division, and even if his popularity in Japan has waned considerably he'd still add interest to a card there.

Anyway a loss to a highly motivated Fedor isn't the worst thing you could have on your record, and his "draw" against Paulo Filho in Brazil was one of the crookedest things I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure the only reason Filho didn't get the judge's decision is because Ishii won every single round.