Doesn't matter if Obama's actions are legal

As a matter of principle, the fact that a government officials actions are legal does not mean they should be immune to criminal prosecution. 

I'll give you an extreme example to illustrate the point:

Imagine Congress passed a law that said the President could rape anyone he wants and the Supreme Court declared it Constitutional.

Even though rape by the President is perfectly legal, the President should still be put in jail for committing rape. Also, every Congressman who voted for the law should be put in jail. 

Trust - 

Did Obama rape someone?  

Not to my knowledge. 

Politicalground -----> Phone Post

BAN RAPE!

Trust - 

Did Obama rape someone?  

Yes, her name is America

Nobody would put them in jail, they would be removed from office and the law would be deemed invalid ab initio.

Nuevo Haole -
Trust - 

Did Obama rape someone?  

Yes, her name is America

Touché, sir, touché. Phone Post

ttt

ttt

Nuevo Haole - 
Trust - 

Did Obama rape someone?  

Yes, her name is America

So, the judicicial system should be able to throw people in jail even if no law has been violated just because it seems right?

Willybone - 

So, the judicicial system should be able to throw people in jail even if no law has been violated just because it seems right?

Of course.

Don't you agree in the scenario I presented that the President should be punished even though he's committed no crimes?

Then you agree with the principle. 

It doesn't matter if his actions are legal or illegal... because he has shit on lockdown.

He could come out today and tell congress that he's gonna shit on their dinner plates and they wouldn't object.

Trichoke7 - 

As a matter of principle, the fact that a government officials actions are legal does not mean they should be immune to criminal prosecution. 

Imagine Congress passed a law that said the President could rape anyone he wants and the Supreme Court declared it Constitutional.

Even though rape by the President is perfectly legal, the President should still be put in jail for committing rape. Also, every Congressman who voted for the law should be put in jail. 

I think you need to come up with a different example.

Your scenario above says that congress passes a law that is upheld by the Supreme Court, yet you still want someone to be be subject to "criminal prosecution" for it?

If something isn't against the law, there is no criminal prosecution.

It's like saying that picking wild flowers isn't against the law, but you want to criminally prosecute someone for doing it.

Trichoke7 - 
Willybone - 

Of course.

Don't you agree in the scenario I presented that the President should be punished even though he's committed no crimes?

Then you agree with the principle. 

Punished by whom? The judicial system already allowed him/her to do such a thing. The action you describe is immoral, but you also describe a government that's pretty much already sanctioned his actions completely. What apparatus is left to oppose him?

In the scenario you described we either have to vote in a new government to repeal the laws (and possibly declare the act of enacting the law a crime in itself) or an insurrection against the government.

billyball2 - 
Trichoke7 - 

I think you need to come up with a different example.

Your scenario above says that congress passes a law that is upheld by the Supreme Court, yet you still want someone to be be subject to "criminal prosecution" for it?

If something isn't against the law, there is no criminal prosecution.

It's like saying that picking wild flowers isn't against the law, but you want to criminally prosecute someone for doing it.

There won't be any criminal prosecution under the current conditions. 

But say we elected new Congressman who made it illegal for the President to commit rape. The rapes that occurred while it was legal should then be prosecuted. 

lol

Trichoke7 - Don't you agree in the scenario I presented that the President should be punished even though he's committed no crimes?

No, I don't. I would find his actions morally repugnant, but I don't see how he could be punished for something explicitly stated as legal.

Shit like this happens all the time. Things seem wrong, but if they don't violate the law, then it simply serves as an example that the law must be changed.

Willybone - 
Trichoke7 - Don't you agree in the scenario I presented that the President should be punished even though he's committed no crimes?

No, I don't. I would find his actions morally repugnant, but I don't see how he could be punished for something explicitly stated as legal.

Shit like this happens all the time. Things seem wrong, but if they don't violate the law, then it simply serves as an example that the law must be changed.

There's something wrong with you. 

See a psychiatrist. 

Trichoke7 -
Willybone - 

There's something wrong with you. 

See a psychiatrist. 

Ironing... Phone Post