Dog I pet at shop left oustside in 18 degrees

So I’ve been petting this pit bull for 2 years at this auto shop down the road.  They leave him in the caged up shop area after work and he is by himself on Saturday’s and Sunday’s... also all holidays.  He has an igloo dog house with cedar chips but it’s 18 degrees out.  His water bowl freezes so I have to give him water and he runs out of his food sometimes on the weekends.  I love this dog and I’m losing sleep thinking about him in this cold.  What are my options? What would the police do?  Could I adopt him if they take the dog?

Yeah, you should totally bring a mistreated pitbull into your house. Especially if you have small children. 

mishto chuckles -

So I’ve been petting this pit bull for 2 years at this auto shop down the road.  They leave him in the caged up shop area after work and he is by himself on Saturday’s and Sunday’s... also all holidays.  He has an igloo dog house with cedar chips but it’s 18 degrees out.  His water bowl freezes so I have to give him water and he runs out of his food sometimes on the weekends.  I love this dog and I’m losing sleep thinking about him in this cold.  What are my options? What would the police do?  Could I adopt him if they take the dog?

It’s a PITBULL? You better run before it rips your face off. Nah but seriously I’d try and rescue the dog and raise it as my own 

Bad Monkey -

Yeah, you should totally bring a mistreated pitbull into your house. Especially if you have small children. 

Man this dog is the sweetest damn dog I’ve ever seen.  I’ve been living on him and feeding him for 2 years.  I’ve seen the owners of the shop with him bc they caught me petting him once outside the fence.  Owners are nice enough and they aren’t mean to him they are just neglecting him

Loving on him

Uncle Skeetz -
mishto chuckles -

It’s a PITBULL? You better run before it rips your face off. Nah but seriously I’d try and rescue the dog and raise it as my own 

How?

Just come out and say it; you want to sleep with him

Bad Monkey -

There’s always a pessimistic asshole in a thread 

dios -
Bad Monkey -

There’s always a pessimistic asshole in a thread 

To be honest I’ve always had a slight distrust of pit bulls as a breed.  I saw a pit bull kill a neighborhood dog as a kid.  But this dog is a big baby.  They lock him up in a small cage all day while they work and leave him alone in the bigger shop area when they leave.  A dog that sweet needs a good home.  Seeing him tonight broke my heart it was so cold out there and he ran out of food

mishto chuckles -
Uncle Skeetz -
mishto chuckles -

How?

Just take it, theyll never know.

Or maybe ask them if theyd be willing to sell the dog. If they say no, revert back to plan A, theyll never suspect it was you

TheDorkKnight -
mishto chuckles -
Uncle Skeetz -
mishto chuckles -

How?

Just take it, theyll never know.

Or maybe ask them if theyd be willing to sell the dog. If they say no, revert back to plan A, theyll never suspect it was you

I could easily take the dog and that’s what everyone tells me to do, with my luck he would have a chip or something and I’d go to prison.  I’ve thought the same, approach them first and see if they want to let me have or buy him.  I seriously doubt they will agree to that though 

It's illegal in Pennsylvania to leave a pet outside in frigid temperature. Maybe your state have the same law

Doublevision - It's illegal in Pennsylvania to leave a pet outside in frigid temperature. Maybe your state have the same law

Yeah I’m going to call tomorrow, technically he has a shelter but at 18 degrees a doghouse ain’t going to cut it 

Let him wim hof bro

just clip the cage and jack him....

Say he "ran away"... 

If the cops call/security footage,say you called the neighbors 3x nobody picked up thought the dog was gonna freeze/haven't been able to get ahold of them.... offer to "buy a new lock"...

Home free

Sounds like a guard dog.  I saw a similar situation years ago and called animal control.  They came and got the dog.  

Personally I would take him home i don't care what animal it is if its yours you don't mistreat it like that

Call animal control. Take pictures too. If you take the dog, you're now the one that comitted a crime, and shitheels like that will probably press charges. The poor dog is being neglected, though, so call immediately before he dies from exposure.

In for hopefully a good ending...

Man it’s going to be 18-15 degrees at night all week.  I’m going to try calling the shop today to talk with the owner and see what he says.  Short of him keeping the dog inside all week there is nothing he could tell me that will fix the situation.   Even staying out during the day it’s too cold.  I would offer to take him for the week but I’m 2 weeks deep into a double hip resurface surgery and I’m on a walker and crutches still.  He is a big strong dog, I wouldn’t even be able to walk him right now