Dojo Storm: Watch stormer transform into Sleeping Beauty

This dojo storm happened at Luling Mixed Martial Arts, in Luling, Texas. Owner King Webb is a US Marine pistol and rifle expert, Muay Thai instructor, 1st degree black belt in taekwondo, and 3rd degree black belt in BJJ.

The head coach details the origins of the incident.

“So this guy drops in and watches my Brazilian jiu-jitsu class and he tells me that the art does not work, and that his taekwondo/boxing/aikido/shootfighting blend can defeat jiu-jitsu/MMA in a REAL street fight.,” said Webb. "It irritated me, to say the least, but I blew him off and he left the school. He then proceeded to call my wife and I, challenging me to a match numerous times for about six weeks.

“I declined, but then he started telling people in town I was afraid of him, and even went and challenged my 54-year-old Thai Boxing instructor. The next time he called I accepted his challenge and this is a video of the 2 matches.”

"Please note that my left foot is broken and that is why I did not throw any kicks wi th it."

What Happened

The video opens with Webb in the red NAGA shorts, and the taekwondoist boxer aikidoka shootfighter in a white tee. We’ll call him Stormer.

Webb throws a right low kick, and apparently by accident, Stormer checks it, and, with a broken left foot, Webb falls over. Webb pops up and again throws a right low kick. The suspicions that the check was not purposeful are confirmed, as Stormer tries to block the kick by reaching down.

This instinctive move is a sure tell that the individual does not know how to deal with low kicks - the technique does nothing to stop the kick, and leaves the face open. Realizing this, Webb continues to kick, while maintaining solid distance management.

Less than 30 seconds in, Webb is starting to get reads on Stormer’s reflexes, footwork, and technique. A high kick very nearly lands, a warm-up for what is to come.

Stormer tries a sport karate shuffle lead leg round kick, and follows up by shifting into what looks like a karate reverse punch. Shifting can be effective, but it takes time, and Webb executes a snatch double, a little ground n pound, transitions to mount, strikes more, then is rolled, but secures a triangle choke. Stormer tries to slam his way out, but succeeds only in sinking the choke tighter, and he taps.

Astonishingly, Stormer still doesn’t get it. He wants more. So he gets more.

Round 2, Webb comes out southpaw and lands a jab, before returning to an orthodox stance and throws another low kick. Webb has his timing down now, and lands a rear leg high kick, and a shuffle side kick, and a right low kick.

Stormer attempts what might be a groin kick, or perhaps he was shaking something off his foot. Webb now has the full measure of Stormer, and as he stalks forward methodically, Webb lands a head kick, and transforms his opponent into Sleeping Beauty.

Then the cameraman calmly says, “And we’re done.”

The Aftermath

This is a story with a happy ending. The gentleman in the white tee signed up for class at Luling MMA. While he got clowned some in the dojo storm, he should be commended for testing what he knew fairly, and learning from the experience. If everyone had his attitude, the practice of martial arts would be much improved.

Also, it should be noted that while MMA has the reputation for being aggressive, it is always people from some traditional martial arts background that wander into MMA gyms and challenge the head coach, not the other way around.