Dolemite Is My Name [2019]

Anyone catch it yet?  Eddie Murphy plays Rudy Ray Moore.  Just started it.  Musics good so far.

1 Like

watched last night....I liked it...also Kennedy Leigh if you missed it earlier

From TK's thread?  Thanks, man!

EFM - 

From TK's thread?  Thanks, man!

:)

It was entertaining but nothing hysterically funny.

My favorite part was when they blew up Mike Epps cousins car.

The  face he makes when he says "going hot? What that mean?" had me dying.

Felt like something comparable to a gimmie fight for a popular fighter to get rid of the cage rust. 

I enjoyed it. Quite good. Perfect vehicle for Eddie and was good seeing him again and in something that pulled at his strengths.

2 Likes

Watched it earlier. Pretty good once it gets going. 

AngryGerbil - 

Watched it earlier. Pretty good once it gets going. 

Yeah, once they get into making the movie it gets funnier. But it's altogether a fun rags to riches, so bad it's funny type story with a upbeat ending. Reminds me of Ed Wood, but definitely has it's own flavor.

I will try catch it over the weekend - love RRM . 

"Biiiiiiiitch! Are you for real!?!?!?"

2 Likes

DOLEMITE IS MY NAME!

ND FUCKIN UP MOTHERFUCKERS IS MY GAME!

Watched it. Loved it. Eddie is back baby.

1 Like

nearly unanimously positive reviews so far.

Very rare that 31/32 top critics (who usually have more to say than "not woke nuff" or "Rollicking good time!") reporting love something.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dolemite_is_my_name/reviews?type=top_critics

Happy Eddie knocked one out of the park again, will watch tonight.

Haven't seen. Not sure I approve of Murphy bringing the Rudy Ray experience to the mainstream. That's a high standard to meet. Guessing it's decent. Having a budget and production quality might be a bad thing in this situation.

Eddie looks absolutely nothing like him though, lol. That I find pretty funny. Rudy Ray had that mean pimp face. Eddie looks silly.

Is this some underground thing? 

PeteyWheatstraw - Haven't seen. Not sure I approve of Murphy bringing the Rudy Ray experience to the mainstream. That's a high standard to meet. Guessing it's decent. Having a budget and production quality might be a bad thing in this situation.

Eddie looks absolutely nothing like him though, lol. That I find pretty funny. Rudy Ray had that mean pimp face. Eddie looks silly.

If this is the way Rudy's story needs to be told: so be it.

The irony is Charlie Murphy probably would have been perfect with his more street edge to him but RIP to that.

Rudy's story should be told, and I'd rather it be sillier, lack a true look-a-like, but from love than made and left in obscurity and miss it's shot in the sun.

ChaosOverkill -
PeteyWheatstraw - Haven't seen. Not sure I approve of Murphy bringing the Rudy Ray experience to the mainstream. That's a high standard to meet. Guessing it's decent. Having a budget and production quality might be a bad thing in this situation.

If this is the way Rudy's story needs to be told: so be it.

The irony is Charlie Murphy probably would have been perfect with his more street edge to him but RIP to that.

Rudy's story should be told, and I'd rather it be sillier, lack a true look-a-like, but from love than made and left in obscurity and miss it's shot in the sun.

Yeah.  This isnt a remake or a send up of Dolemite, this is Rudy ray's story.  How he started the Dolemite character in black clubs as an MC.  How he started with records, producing and distributing them himself, and takes you through the production and premier of his first movie.  It deserves all the production it received from Eddie Murphy (who was the exec. Producer).

Cant wait

Great movie! Went into it without expectations and thoroughly enjoyed it..