Don Frye on Haku/Meng

Don Frye on Haku - YouTube

Haku/Meng was considered to be among the legit toughest guys in pro wrestling. There are legendary stories of him destroying people in bar fights. Lots of pro wrestlers have Haku/Meng on their list of the legit toughest guys in pro wrestling. Well, now you can add Don Frye to that list. If Don Frye says somebody is tough, then you can take that to the bank.
6 Likes

BS - Haku made a rep beating up drunks at bars that are smaller than him.

Don Frye is a real tough guy

Pro wrasslin fight stories are all BS

4 Likes

"BS - Haku made a rep beating up drunks at bars that are smaller than him.

Pro wrasslin fight stories are all BS"

There are also some stories about Haku/Meng roughing up some other pro wrestlers for real. I recall one story about Haku/Meng getting into an altercation with Brutus Beefcake in the lockeroom, and Haku/Meng had Brutus pinned to a wall and was chocking him, but then Hulk Hogan talked him out of beating the stuffing out of Beefcake.

The list of pro wrestlers that say that Haku/Meng was a legit tough guy is pretty long, and it includes Rick and Scott Steiner, both of whom were All American wrestlers in college, and now it includes Don Frye. I doubt it is all BS with these kind of endorsements.

I heard that Haku/Meng got contacted about fighting in one of the early UFC’s, but that he turned it down because he was making good money as a pro wrestler and there was not much money in the UFC at the time.

3 Likes

Oh, also, when Tank Abbot had his first match in WCW, I heard they put him in the ring with Meng, because they wanted him in there with somebody who could handle himself physically just in case Tank got out of line.

2 Likes

Whenever they have these chats it's always him that's mentioned as the one. By literally everyone who ever met the guy. That's not coincidence

5 Likes

ttt

Song2 -

Whenever they have these chats it's always him that's mentioned as the one. By literally everyone who ever met the guy. That's not coincidence

Precisely 

So from what I gathered about "Meng" is that he is a silent assassin. I think what makes his Mystique is that a lot of guys he was around were Shawn Michaels types. "Premadonnas and bodybuilders". I just think Meng was strong which scares people, and he would do whatever it took not to lose.

He was biting people and Gouging eyes stuff like that!

most human beings can't fathom strength let alone that kind of crazy! 

Actual fighters in pro wrestling was guys like Meng and Harley Race.

It was nothing for Harley Race to actually fist fight people.

This is the Machismo that Scott Steiner challenged triple H with. He knew coming from Collegiate wrestling it was real grind. He knew triple H was never willing to go the distance.

Pro wrestling is tough but it gets too many accolades forreal fighting.

not a lot of pro wrestlers actually did Collegiate wrestling like the steiners.  A lot Guys were bodybuilders or male models 

MR. Combatively 

2 Likes

There are and were a lot of pro wrestlers with amateur wrestling backgrounds.

1 Like
theshooter - There are and were a lot of pro wrestlers with amateur wrestling backgrounds.

Yup. And those legit tough guys also thought Meng was a legit tough guy.

That doesn’t mean he beats Daniel Cormier in a fist fight. It just means that he’s a legit tough guy.

2 Likes

TTT for video of the Frye vs. Sonny street fight

mayor daley - 

BS - Haku made a rep beating up drunks at bars that are smaller than him.

Pro wrasslin fight stories are all BS

The truth can usually be found as a grey area between extremes.

Your statement that ““Pro wrasslin fight stories are all BS”” represents one of those extremes.

Pro wrestling was a big part of the influence and evolution of MMA, and plenty pro wrestlers had a real wrestling background as well.

That doesn’t mean they could all be MMA champions – but a person who doesn’t necessarily fall into that category – can still very much be a “legit tough guy”.

Some guys just have that vibe.

Your instincts tell you that they would be more than a handful – and depending on your life experience regarding such things – most of the time those instincts are probably correct.

I have met Don Frye.

Shook his hand.

Drank beers with him.

I’m here to tell you… that is a man who would have been very dangerous, even if he never trained a day in his life.

Just because most pro wrestlers aren’t pro fighters… doesn’t mean they aren’t tough and dangerous.

These guys make their living throwing other bug/string guys around, and getting thrown around themselves.

They understand what it takes to hurt somebody, because they have to know exactly how to not hurt somebody.

To say they know how to “throw their weight around”, would be an understatement.

Your average pro wrestler, would be an absolute nightmare for for most guys guys in a real fight – no doubt.

So if there is one that tends to stand out among them, by reputation – it’s a good bet there is some real truth to it.

Doesn’t mean they could step into a cage and beat a prime Ken Shamrock, Don Frye, or Brock Lesnar under MMA rules.

But… they could probably step into your local bar and out you and 2 of your buddies in the hospital.

There are levels to everything.

3 Likes
MMA Playwright - TTT for video of the Frye vs. Sonny street fight

Doesn’t mean shit.

A lot of the old pro wrestling guys were carnies who didn’t always fight fair, so as someone else said, maybe they’re not going to perform high level microtransitions with Daniel Cormier up against the cage, but up against some average dude, they were pretty unscrupulous and nasty.

For Haku in particular, he’s probably not the number one guy I’d have at the top of a “fuck with” list.  He comes from a long line of Samoan pro wrestlers who probably could have just as easily been D-1 nose tackles had they chosen that route.  Just a big dude.  His body structure and cranium was something that’s just different than what you normally see.

What about the Nasty Boys. IIRC, they beat the shit out of Ken Shamrock way back when before Ken got into Pancrase/MMA. It’s easy to say that Ken would have kicked their asses post-UFC, but I’m not so sure.

Liyon - What about the Nasty Boys. IIRC, they beat the shit out of Ken Shamrock way back when before Ken got into Pancrase/MMA. It's easy to say that Ken would have kicked their asses post-UFC, but I'm not so sure.

No, it was after his UFC run. They ambushed him and I think bashed him in the head with a phone. From what I remember hearing, they ran away from him or avoided him after that.

Someone who's a bigger wrestler nerd can correct the details, but that's what I remember hearing multiple times.

1 Like
Liyon - What about the Nasty Boys. IIRC, they beat the shit out of Ken Shamrock way back when before Ken got into Pancrase/MMA. It's easy to say that Ken would have kicked their asses post-UFC, but I'm not so sure.

Ken walked in to a room and hit from behind with a phone and got Knocked out then stomped 

1 Like
Liyon - What about the Nasty Boys. IIRC, they beat the shit out of Ken Shamrock way back when before Ken got into Pancrase/MMA. It's easy to say that Ken would have kicked their asses post-UFC, but I'm not so sure.

Good lord, are you serious?

At least do a little research, before you make statements about what one man is capable of against 2 men in a real life situation.

Ken has 3 books that address the incident… and there is no shortage of internet stories about it.

How about you go – completely shit-faced – banging on the door of two mean pro wrestlers – and see what happens.

Ken could literally kill either one of those guys with his bare hands if it was “fair-and-square”.

But real life doesn’t alywas work that way.

Ken’s second book, Beyond The Lion’s Den, has a good description of both the incident, and a confrontation at an airport years later.

2 Likes
theshooter - "BS - Haku made a rep beating up drunks at bars that are smaller than him.

Pro wrasslin fight stories are all BS"

There are also some stories about Haku/Meng roughing up some other pro wrestlers for real. I recall one story about Haku/Meng getting into an altercation with Brutus Beefcake in the lockeroom, and Haku/Meng had Brutus pinned to a wall and was chocking him, but then Hulk Hogan talked him out of beating the stuffing out of Beefcake.

The list of pro wrestlers that say that Haku/Meng was a legit tough guy is pretty long, and it includes Rick and Scott Steiner, both of whom were All American wrestlers in college, and now it includes Don Frye. I doubt it is all BS with these kind of endorsements.

I heard that Haku/Meng got contacted about fighting in one of the early UFC’s, but that he turned it down because he was making good money as a pro wrestler and there was not much money in the UFC at the time.

Haku would have gotten exposed had he entered early UFC’s. He had a sumo background and was strong and tough. He might have won a fight or so but guys like Severn and Beneteau would have grounded him and beat him to a pulp

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RUXVzzygVjY&t