Don Frye on stalling, UFC HWs Lesnar and Cain, HOF

On stalling and yellow cards:

the yellow cards, those yellow cards are brilliant because there is no stalling. You watch and listen to the fans here in the U.S., they're pretty god damn impatient. They have every right to be when they are paying their hard earned money.”

On elbows:

when you have the elbows it’s easy for a guy to get somebody down and hit them with an elbow and cause a cut.”

“A lot of these people that's their game plan. They want to finish a fight, not on technique or ability, but on a fluke like a cut. That's real simple to end a fight that way.”

On him being in the UFC Hall of Fame:

"You know, I don't really give that any consideration. That's none of my business and it’s not my decision. It’s in greater hands than mine lets just put it that way.”

On Brock Lesnar:

“We have all had to watch Brock Lesnar fart around. That guy is an embarrassment.”

“God damn, you get to hand pick his opponents for him for awhile then someone who is half way decent athlete comes along and hits him once and he pisses his pants and runs. If he wasn't in a cage he would still be running.”

On Cain Velasquez:

“I’d never seen him fight until he fought that jackass Brock. He doesn't impress me, you could have sent a cheerleader in there to slap Brock around he’s so afraid of getting hit.”

On UFC Heavyweight Division:

“The thing is now we've got a 240 pound world heavyweight champion so now we are going to have to suffer through another Randy Couture comeback tour. We don't want to suffer through it again but I’ll bet one thousand dollars Randy can whoop Cain’s ass. Randy can handle anybody that's 240 pounds.”

Frye concluded his assault on the UFC HW division by saying, “He handled Brock who was 280 at the time. The thing is Randy can’t throw a punch through a wet paper bag, that's why he didn't hurt Brock but he can out wrestle Cain all night long.”

On his toughest opponents in fights:

“That bastard Ken Shamrock, I'm still limping around from that. Tank Abbott knocked me around, I'm still dizzy from that. I had Amaury Bitette, I had Mark Colemen, Takayama. You just can’t pin down one fight.”

He added, “All I know is that Ken Shamrock and I both left something in the ring that night. And neither one of us have been the same since. I don't know if he will admit it but I’ll admit it.”

www.hurtsbad.com/profiles/blogs/hurtsbad-exclusive-don-the

haha good stuff

entertaining interview, seems a tad harsh on Brock though but meh.....

least he gives Shamrock some credit and respect after all the pre-fight trashtalking.

The comment about another Couture comeback tour greatly amused me

Hel13torm -  entertaining interview, seems a tad harsh on Brock though but meh.....

least he gives Shamrock some credit and respect after all the pre-fight trashtalking.

The comment about another Couture comeback tour greatly amused me

Even Don's most boring interviews are entertaining. His best interviews have me rolling on the floor from laughing so hard.

Wow!

Very nice!

Where does this Q&A come from?

I actually met Don, and it looks like you have also. When and where was this?

Gotta love Don Frye!

And yes.. he should be in the HOF. Duh!!

While some might argue Frye vs Shamrock was not top level in terms of skills or rankings, it was one of the most hyped grudge match that DELIVERED.

Ken torn Frye's legs and that bastard wouldn't tap. Don flash KOed Shamrock and the ground woke him up, he wouldn't stay down. Both gave their all and simply would not give in.

And best staredown ever outside of a Wanderlai fight.

Sprawl'n'Stall - While some might argue Frye vs Shamrock was not top level in terms of skills or rankings, it was one of the most hyped grudge match that DELIVERED.

Ken torn Frye's legs and that bastard wouldn't tap. Don flash KOed Shamrock and the ground woke him up, he wouldn't stay down. Both gave their all and simply would not give in.

I agree with everything you said except for not top level. Both guys were past their primes but they were still top level fighters, in fact PRIDE considered giving the winner of the fight a title shot against Nog.

onepunchJD - Wow!

Very nice!

Gotta love Don Frye!

I wish I had met Don. He's one of my all time favorites. I just jacked this interview off the website I linked to above. See below the picture for the link. I enjoyed your Frye story on the PRIDE thread, I'd like to post my own story someday. :)

that was when Ken Sham and Don Frye were both juicing in Japan which is ok by my books.

Funaki Masakatsu #1 -

I agree with everything you said except for not top level. Both guys were past their primes but they were still top level fighters, in fact PRIDE considered giving the winner of the fight a title shot against Nog.
wasn't aware of that, never realized how quite close we were to seeing Shamrock vs Nog......

two of my all-time favorites, woulda been amazing seeing a battle of submission magicians.

On Brock Lesnar:

“We have all had to watch Brock Lesnar fart around. That guy is an embarrassment.”

“God damn, you get to hand pick his opponents for him for awhile then someone who is half way decent athlete comes along and hits him once and he pisses his pants and runs. If he wasn't in a cage he would still be running.”

“you could have sent a cheerleader in there to slap Brock around he’s so afraid of getting hit.”

LOVE THIS!!!!

Funaki Masakatsu #1 - 
Sprawl'n'Stall - While some might argue Frye vs Shamrock was not top level in terms of skills or rankings, it was one of the most hyped grudge match that DELIVERED.

Yes, best staredown ever IMO!

As far as being top level.. neither guy had really been exposed at this point. Ken had the loss to Royce in UFC 1, whch he avenged to a certain extent. Frye had the loss to Coleman. Ken's second fight with Severn is really meaningless, and he was killing Fujita before the "heart" incident. Frye was pretty much the same dude, only much bigger!

So as far as rankings, neither guy was at the top. But as far as what each man was capable of at the time, both were still considered amoung the best fighters in the world.

After this fight, they both never seemed the same.

Frye lost to Coleman, Yoshida, Goodrich, and was destroyed by Lebanner in an ill-advised kickboxing fight. But he did beat Takayama in one of the most entertaining fights ever!

Ken lost to Tito, but showed alot of heart in the process, despite being injured and undersized after a horrible cut. Then he schooled Kimo again, pretty easily. And, umm... we know the rest.

But at the time they fought, Ken vs Frye was one of the greatest fights ever. The only thing that would have made it better, IMO, was if they had "rightfully" called it a draw. Neither guy deserved a loss in that fight!

Funaki Masakatsu #1 - 
onepunchJD - Wow!

Very nice!

Gotta love Don Frye!

I wish I had met Don. He's one of my all time favorites. I just jacked this interview off the website I linked to above. See below the picture for the link. I enjoyed your Frye story on the PRIDE thread, I'd like to post my own story someday. :)

Yeah.. now I just need to meet Ken!

Really want to do a seminar before its too late.

Don Frye is right

Brock is a bitch who is afraid to get hit. Don Frye won't back down to any man and certainly wouldn't turn his back to run away at the first sight of trobule

^^^

Thought the autographed picture was yours. Its an EPIC pic, IMO.

hubris - Don Frye is right

Brock is a bitch who is afraid to get hit. Don Frye won't back down to any man and certainly wouldn't turn his back to run away at the first sight of trobule

LOL, I know!

Could you imagine Frye doing that?

Nothing against Brock, cause I still think he is one of the most dangerous HW's out there. But Damn!! Frye would NEVER be made to look like that, even in a loss.

Haha funny interview.

LOL@Don dissing brock when he said one of his toughest fights was against "The Hot One"

I love Takayama but he's still a 0-4 pro wrestler who Don admits almost TKOed him. How can Takayama be a tough opponent in Frye's mind when he thinks Brock sucks? Lesnar beat guys Don would never be able to hang with.

Frye, I've warned you on here before about your conduct. Any time you and your boy Norton want to pop some pain pills and step in the ring for the HWA tag titles against me and Disqo we can make it happen

lofnl

I have a big smile on my face waiting for this one to pan out. :]