Donald McBane

Can you tell me more, or point me to web sites that tell me more? Sounds like a total badass.

I know a fair bit about him and his method of fencing. What specifically do you want to know?

There is a great book here: www.chivalrybookshelf.com that reprints McBane's manual but unfortunately with modern photo's rather than the real plates.
Cheers,
Stu

Thank you.

When did he live? Was he a soldier, duelist, both?

When did he live?Early 1700s.Was he a soldier, duelist, both?Both. You can get a copy of McBane's book--which is a combo autobiography and fencing manual--in Chivalry Bookshelf's Highland Swordsmanship, as mentioned by Stu. I, too, would have preferred the original illustrations over the modern photos. Chivalry's "Highland" title is also a bit misleading, as McBane actually taught French smallsword, as well as a form of cut-and-thrust fencing with the broadsword, backsword, and spadroon, which was actually fairly common throughout much of Western Europe.Despite the above, Mark Rector and his cohorts did a nice job with the book, and it is well worth obtaining. I especially liked Paul Wagner's essay concerning Highland Scottish blade culture--it is very well written and extremely interesting.TFS

Millenium Falcon,

BTW, welcome to the History Forum.

Peace,

TFS

P.S.

I heard that you made the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs! ;) (ie., cool username, bro).

LOL @ Kessel Run. "What a piece of junk!" "She don't look like much kid but she's got it where it counts".
(yep I am a geek too :-)

One more thing worth knowing about Donald McBane was that he was a Pimp. Most of his duels were to do with the pimping of prostitutes and not really about the things one usually associates with duels like insults, points of honour and irrational hot blooded Frenchmen ;).

Martial Arts wise, the most interesting thing about McBane is his use of the St George Guard as a position to lie in at backsword and spadroon. I tried this in singlestick training just last week and it works quite well. The guard does have some serious weaknesses but by the time my opponent worked them out, I had hit him half a dozen times without reply. Certainly the guard has a couple of big advantages. Firstly it cuts off the direct line of attack from an opponent lying in the inside or outside guards and secondly it denies an engagement to a opponent who wants one. Indeed refusing an outside engagement by pulling back into it and immediately cutting an inside can often get you a hit as the opponent tries to find your blade.
Cheers,
Stu.

Ah, hell.

TFS, Stu, Millenium Falcon is "Ogami Itto" alias gotgame. I made a stupid screenname bet and have to wear the Corellian death stripe for a month.

What bet, you ask? Bopsappfan vs. Erik Apple...

Thanks for the tips on McBane. I had read excerpts somewhere about him being a brawler or pimp and was very interested. Sounds like his autobio would be a good read.

LOL@Gotgame.

Yeah McBane's life story is a good read. The guy was wounded countless times and just kept coming back.

As for being "Millenium Falcon", at least I didn't say that your name was good like that complete geek TFS.....:D
Cheers,
Stu.

Stu,As for being "Millenium Falcon", at least I didn't say that your name was good like that complete geek TFSGuilty as charged! :)Yeah McBane's life story is a good read. The guy was wounded countless times and just kept coming backHe was truly the Timex Watch of Swordsmen.***Gotgame,TFS, Stu, Millenium Falcon is "Ogami Itto" alias gotgame. I made a stupid screenname bet and have to wear the Corellian death stripe for a month.LOL--that's too funny, bro.TFS

I got the name for making fun of Apple's tattoo.

:-(

Stu,

"One more thing worth knowing about Donald McBane was that he was a Pimp. Most of his duels were to do with the pimping of prostitutes and not really about the things one usually associates with duels like insults, points of honour and irrational hot blooded Frenchmen ;)." 

I didn't know that about him! Very interesting.

I was gonna make an Eric Apple joke, but I think I'll leave you to your pain ;p

TTT for Einar...

"TTT for Einar..."

Thanks. Guess I should have used the searchfunction, eh? :)