Done with the Arnolds

All of the bias sounds pretty crazy...

Why did Pe de Pano throw such a tantrum anyway?

Monson did a can opener against the rules. They called Pa de pano the winner. According to the rules meeting it would be a loss without a warning. Master Bob started a chant of Let them fight! Let them fight! I thought cool, they are going to fight and finish this. I dont think the fight should have happened anyway. Wade should have won by the rules that were set. Carlson said his tounament in September well be the best run in the world. Matches will start on time, fighters will be treated with respect, and he is not going to charge the big money some promoters ask for. $100 to fight is absurd!!!!!!

i belive bob was speaking of pedepano with the "whining" and "bottle" comments, not Carlson. This is the same shit that everyone was flipping over last year... thats unfortunate.

Master Bob,

I am really sorry everything went down the way that it did. You and your team are a real class act. I hope to see you again soon in the future. Please tell Terry that I am a big fan of his and it was an honor to compete against him. I will be in the Chicago area over the summer and if it is OK with you, I would love to come by and train again.

Wade Rome

PS - Dustin, it was great to finally meet you and be able to put a face with the name. Also, thanks for the words of support, it means alot particularly in the wake of that unconscianable "decision".

Damn.

Bias has no place in sport.

If this is true, I'm very sorry to hear that. Good that you're not taking it lying down.

Bob - could you expand on the reference to Shonie vs. JD? JD is my coach, and I have heard a couple of versions of the story, I was wondering what your take was.

Everyone I made my mistakes w/ the Dale Jr. I know I did. This year at the Budweiser World Cup it was much better in every angle I thought I made a mistake in. Statue and I are relentlessly trying to make it even better from this year, if you read Gumby's ONTHEMAT report you will read what changes we did have.

We will make it better and I personally welcome all to come next year in Jan. to what I really hope to be a classy event. This year was classy and respectful, next year will get better.

And of course all can video tape.

Respectfully,

Joe Hurst

Get real, how many biased disputes brazilians have lost on american and japanese soil. The kings of capitalism complaining that these are money oriented events. That must be a joke.

UFC and PRIDE have let a lot of brazilians down, we know it happens in all type of sports and thats a shame but pleae dont blame on our country or citizenship.

I HAVE seen what I believed was anti-foreigner rulings in the UFC and Pride that went against brazilians.And thats terrible.But it has nothing to do with this event.
In grappling events I've seen many brazilians throwing temper tantrums even when they are clearly wrong.
And others seem to try to subtly intimidate refs and judges.

I already left the event right after I was done fighting cause I was sick of being there. I didn't get to see the start of the fight that broke out, but ran back to get my keys that I left when someone said "Marie, your missing it!". I ran in there and seen all that was going on. No matter how the fight turned out, Pa de pano was declaired the winner of the match. However, everyone started to boo when he threw his hands up in the air. The part that makes this so bad is that just because people where booing at him, Pa de pano retailiated with walking around with both hands in the air flipping everyone off. This is not what a "champion" or a fighter should be like.

As far as what was said about Carlson Sr. Im not sure what happened but I will put in my two cents that he has been nothing but far to me and to everyone else I have seen him by. After last years Arnolds, I was invited out to his school by him. When I showed up that summer, the first thing that came out of his mouth was that I was robbed of my fight with Brazillian fighter Leka.

I will be at Carlson Sr.'s tournament and supportive of it. I also have plans and talked with Jeff Neal out of Carlson Sr.'s school about coming out there once a month to train.

TTT for Carlson's tourny, NAGA and GQ

Bob, I heard your team cleaned house this pased weekend. Congrats!

Wow! So many threads about how much of a disaster the Arnold event was. I am curious, what is the story behind the Arnolds tourney? I mean, who exactly sponsers it, and who organizes the tournament?

I always had the impression that it was a well sponsered event. One would think that it could be run more professionally.

ttt

I don't know Master Bob, but judging by his post he is a man of integrity.

Props to Master Bob for standing up.

I competed in the 2001 Mundials after only having my blue for like 6 months. I lost my first match 5-4. However, in the last 3o seconds I took the guy down with a trip, he hit his back with me on top and he shrimped out of bounds, avoiding the fight. I received no points. I lost b/c of that crappy bias bs. I was sick as a dog and took it to a guy who was 20 pounds bigger than me the whole match, and I got robbed. It was clear as day. Also, that same day, Rhadi Ferguson got robbed on a guard pass that would have won him the gold in the purple belt division. I saw refs looking the other way when people passed the guard and the refs didnt award points...and this was the MUNDIALS. Come on. For some of those very reasons I do not like grappling tournaments very much b/c of the whole points thing, I just want to fight with a clear outcome, either I got my ass kicked or not.

Brett

refs fool in every sport.. not just jiu jitsu.. doesn't matter what race you are.. sorry to hear.......ARNOLD is the man.. and congrats Team Caique!

Say what you want Master Bob is not a bull shitter.

Master Bob,
If you have not realized it yet after every loss there is someone who feels he or she has been cheated. I am not saying I completly disagree with your post, but I would like to point out something I saw from my point of view.

Your student Jason Fowler was in the no gi 172-187 division. This division was set up at ring 4 with two or more of your students at the judging/point table, working the event. While he wrestled the point keeper was video taping the match. Jason was up the entire match until the very end where the other fighter landed knee on stomach, for the lead. The referee scored it two points then the ball was thrown to signal the end of the match. There was a discrepancy see with the score the point keeper had and the score the referee had. The point keeper was did not write down the final two points. I sat front and center and saw everything, since this was my division also. Jason lost the match, however you were no where around, until around twenty minutes later you called for a rematch. Now I think this is you using your pull to get your fighter back in for another shot, I did not find this to be fair.

In conclusion you are part of your own hypocrisy.

I have never been to the Arnold's, although I have always hoped to someday attend. But if all that Combatdo has said is true, I I guess probably will never go. However, one question comes to mind. If he's been supporting the event for "years", is this the first year it's been bad; or is this the first year that he noticed that it's bad; or is this the first year that bad things happened to some of his own and so from his prospective it's now bad?

Jason Fowler was in the no gi 172-187 division. This division was set up at ring 4 with two or more of your students at the judging/point table, working the event. While he wrestled the point keeper was video taping the match. Jason was up the entire match until the very end where the other fighter landed knee on stomach, for the lead. The referee scored it two points then the ball was thrown to signal the end of the match. There was a discrepancy see with the score the point keeper had and the score the referee had. The point keeper was did not write down the final two points. Disclaimer: I was not at the Arnold's, nor do I know Master Bob, Jason Fowler or mikehelstrom.As I see it, what mikehelstrom described is a misunderstanding. What MasterBob has described is cheating and bias by the refs.Finally, if the scorekeeper what taping the match, why wasn't the tape reviewed? (should the scorekeeper have been taping the match to begin with?)

mikehelstrom:

Actually, I don't know what happaned with that match at all. Randy Bloom the ref told me I did win that match. It was the other guy and his team that wanted the rematch, Bob wasn't around. It was the other team, Randy Bloom and Garth that decided, well me too just to make things fair.

Jason Fowler