"Don't Be Evil." Is Google Good?

Prior to its IPO, Google touted its place as a moral company.

Don't be evil. "Don't be evil" was a motto used within Google's corporate code of conduct. Following Google's corporate restructuring under the conglomerate Alphabet Inc. in October 2015, Alphabet took "Do the right thing" as its motto, also forming the opening of its corporate code of conduct.

Has Google lived up to its purported ethos?

"Do the right thing" by shareholders? Pretty much, except for their disastrous report this past week

Google are evil, most silicon Valley are leftist cucks paid and bought for by democratic and foreign parties. 

When you are sitting on half a trillion dollars in reserve, you can make up your own morals.

I know the public reporting is that they dropped "Don't Be Evil" after the IPO, but it's not true. They only dropped the "Don't".

Spunkchops -

Google are evil, most silicon Valley are leftist cucks paid and bought for by democratic and foreign parties. 

I really think as far as Google goes, both the left and the right can find ample reasons to hate them at this point.

“Don’t be evil” slogan is quite hypocritical of a company who is paving the way for the Orwellian future. 

Completely evil.

I would say a lot of tech companies are ushering in something that people are going to regret, but there is no stopping it in a society where money is the primary concern.

TzTinkle - I would say a lot of tech companies are ushering in something that people are going to regret, but there is no stopping it in a society where money is the primary concern.

There is an irony about the message from the unabomber...

You should read his manifesto...

It is actually a fairly intelligent and reasoned argument about the nature and dangers of technology and of trends in society...

http://editions-hache.com/essais/pdf/kaczynski2.pdf

I wonder with Page and Sergie have any self awareness about where they started and where they are now.

Tim Duncan - 

I wonder with Page and Sergie have any self awareness about where they started and where they are now.

They are probably too busy banging hot instagram whores or staffers on the side...

Remember this one?

You are probably right.  Also buy shit.

The paper which the search engine was built on was funded by DARPA.  

http://infolab.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html

Not saying DARPA is evil, but ...

Har_L - 

evil 100%

if u have the power u either have to fight very hard 2 be good

or ur evil

an just look at wut they r

Not all evil... but pretty damn evil IMO...