Don't want to beat a dead horse...

found this at mlive.com forums:

108666. Game 1 Rating 7.9
by hennessey, 6/8/07 13:42 ET
per Dan Patrick of ESPN radio...worst game 1 rating ever LOL!!!!

imagine how much lower it would be if the Pistons were there

"imagine" is for Lennon fans. I'm talking cold hard facts.

There is some Tom Foolery going on!

It makes me ill that Laker, Bull and Knick fans don't want to watch the Finals...BARF...

face the facts...the spurs are an all time great team IMHO but NOBODY GIVES A FUCKING SHIT ABOUT THEM

Quoted:

This matchup explanation does not hold water. The reason the ratings arent as high as people may expect is because lebron (the iconic type superstar in this series (as duncan is a superstar but not in a marketing sense) is only in his first finals.

Of Jordan's 6 finals appearences, his lowest rated ones were the first 2, and the only reason his first finals wasnt the lowest was because the bulls were playing the showtime lakers and not the blazers (and that difference was 1.6 million viewers, less than the difference in population between LA and portland).

I mean, the match-up doesnt correspond to ratings as the Bulls-Sonics and Bulls-Jazz were all rated higher than Bulls-Lakers

Thus, the more times jordan went to the finals the more interest and higher the ratings.

Also, there is only a .3 difference between game 1 and the spurs/detroit series, and there is way more than a 300,000 difference in the populations in detroit and cleveland.

Also, Magic's first time in the finals = 8.0 rating. Bird's first time in the finals = 6.7 rating.

Hell, last years finals w/ 2 exciting teams, 3 superstars and 2 major markets was only a half-point higher in the ratings.

Cle-SA area populations: 4.3 million people

Mia-Dal area populations: 10.4 million people

Yet only 500,000 more people watched last years finals, meaning that there is actually a far greater national interest in this year's finals than last years

Looks to me than when MJ retired a third of fans stopped watch the Finals all together. From there the norm was only 10-12. Spurs first title again big market NY drew an 11 something. So yes, when S.A. plays (other than thier first title) they drop to and average of 8 in ratings. As shown above, the Lakers three years in a row only took 3-4 more. And that is THE biggest market. Hell Dallas and Heat was an 8 point something. No one claims they are boring.

It's all bs. MJ leaving killed the league. They ARE looking for the next MJ badly.

But this SA is killing the Finals is BS. Lakers, Heat, Dallas didn't do too much better and they are a much bigger market.

All your smoke and mirrors Brian can't take away from the truth:

Game 1 TV Ratings Slip 19 Percent From '06
8th June, 2007 - 10:57 pm
Sports Illustrated -
Game 1 of the NBA finals drew the lowest rating ever for an opening-
game in prime time, dropping 19 percent from last year.

The San Antonio Spurs ' 85-76 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers on
Thursday night earned a 6.3 rating and 11 share on ABC. The previous
low was a 6.4/11 in 2003.

Last year's Game 1 between Miami and Dallas earned a 7.8 rating and 14
share. [READ]

You're a sad, sad man. All the evidence in your face... Surely you didn't miss the not only the low ratings the Pistons had in the Finals against the Spurs, but the poor ratings again a high franchise Lakers.

The proof is right in your face.

All you can keep saying to us Spurs fan is "your team is boring, look at the ratings".

And to you I say, "Kiss the rings bitch".

"surely you didn't miss the not only the low ratings the Pistons had in the
Finals against the Spurs, but the poor ratings again a high franchise
Lakers."

Dude, you're not that stupid are you?? Look at the graph you provided
(you do know how to read graphs, right?). Poor ratings?? They stack up
with any final that didn't have Bird/Magic/Jordan. They are pretty on par
with any Laker final (that involved Shaq and Kobe).

"Yet only 500,000 more people watched last years finals, meaning that
there is actually a far greater national interest in this year's finals than last
years"

LMAO! Keep telling yourself that.

"Last year's Game 1 between Miami and Dallas earned a 7.8 rating and
14 share.

The rating is the percentage watching a telecast among all homes with
televisions, and the share is the percentage tuned in to a broadcast
among those households with televisions on at the time. A ratings
point represents 1,114,000 households."

6.3 x 1.1M= 6.93 Million viewers

7.8 x 1.1M= 8.58 Million viewers

Difference: 1.65 MILLION

Where the fuck did you get .5Million. MORAN!

lol you ready the graph, you grouchy little bitch.

That's comes to about 3.5 million more viewers. All in all, that ain't shit when you have big market teams involved.

The truth is the truth, and the truth is, we're in the Finals while you're fishing. Nothing else matters. :)

"The truth is the truth, and the truth is, we're in the Finals while you're
fishing. Nothing else matters. :)"

Obviously not your education...

"I" didn't get 500,000 ...moron!... notice the post says "QUOTED" at the top. I got it from another site.

Regardless of his error, two bigger markets with 3 super stars drew it a lot less what it should have. An overall 8 plus some change rating. Hardly impressive.

"Mia-Dal area populations: 10.4 million people"

Wherever you got that quote I don't think that its accurate at all:
The population of Miami was 362,470 in 2000. In 2005, it was estimated
at 386,417.

miami-dade county alone has a population of an estimated 2.4 million

I'm not trying to sway non Spurs fans to say the Spurs aren't boring. If you think they are, good for you. Since ratings was brought up as a way to prove the Spurs were boring, all I was showing was other big market teams, since Jordan left, didn't do much better.

And what is with "fans". Are you tring to say we arent real fans? If our team is so boring and we say we're Spurs fans, you'd think we'd be telling the truth.

Now I know who you are you "Mavs fan". You're calling Spurs fans bandwagoners yet damn near 90% of Mav fans ARE bandwagoners. Didn't give two shits about the team until Cuban took over and made it a real team. LOL @ you.

BTW, your team pulled off the biggest choke job this year in NBA history. Congrats!