Dr Birx - Between 100k-240k Americans will die.

I am not siding with an opinion for or against lockdowns.  My view has always been somewhat mixed.  I think the virus is serious, but I dont see how it can go away before a vaccine, or herd immunity.   

In a way, I am tempted to think let vulnerable people isolate, and let the healthy risk themselves (if they want to). However the health professionals advise otherwise, so I honestly dont know the wisest course of action.  Anyway total numbers projected look awful.

Dr Birx:  Birx on Fox News Sunday today: "Our projections have always been between 100,000 and 240,000 [deaths] ... and that's with full mitigation."

White House coronavirus task force coordinator Deborah Birx on Sunday said it was “devastatingly worrisome” that those protesting at state Capitols against stay-at-home orders did not wear masks or practice social distancing, warning that they could unknowingly transmit the novel coronavirus to at-risk relatives.

“It’s devastatingly worrisome to me personally because if they go home and they infect their grandmother or grandfather who has a comorbid condition and they have a serious or very unfortunate outcome they will feel guilty for the rest of their lives. So we need to protect each other at the same time as we’re voicing our discontent,” Birx said on “Fox News Sunday.”

1 Like

These are the states where virus spread is increasing, not declining. 

2 Likes

Better to get people infected and hopefully immune before flu season starts

2 Likes

The IMHE projection currently stands at 72K, but their projections assume lockdowns are maintained until the infection rate is at a very low level and then widespread testing and contact tracing is set up. So it could end up being a big underestimate.

It seems to me most of use will get it at some point. Let’s just get it over with. That’s assuming a vaccine is two years away. Quarantine the sick and at risk and let’s get back to work. 

1 Like

I don’t like the idea of looking at new cases as an indicator since testing is much more available as time goes on. Who know how many people would have tested positive earlier in the year?

1 Like

Lying bitch....the projections weren't "always" 100-240K

I seem to remember her and Fauci saying 2.2 million were going to die.

3 Likes

The U.S. is at ~68k deaths this morning after another 1700 deaths yesterday.

If the daily deaths goes down to 1000/day over the next 2 weeks we'll be at ~87k around May 17th.

If over the following 2 weeks it drops to 500/day we'll be at 100k by the end of the month.

With so many states relaxing stay at home orders it's hard to see a drop to 500 deaths/day within a month, but even so ... 100k with the certainty it'll be back well before the end of the year.

4 Likes

DY2 -

These are the states where virus spread is increasing, not declining. 

Any information on hospitalization rates? New cases doesn't mean as much as testing is still ramping up. Is there any increase in people requiring hospitalization for COVID-19

Smilin like Rashad -

That was if there was no social distancing or stay at home orders - basically if the U.S. did nothing.

2 Likes

Sonester Sambo - 

The virus doesn't hurt healthy people. Of course there are outliers but new cases mean nothing

The virus doesn't hurt healthy people... except when it does.

3 Likes

There is some sweet spot between public health and keeping the country from spiraling into a depression.  The great depression in the 30's killed 7 million from starvation alone.  Going into a complete lockdown for 18 months is not an option

2 Likes

RdotC -
Sonester Sambo - 

The virus doesn't hurt healthy people. Of course there are outliers but new cases mean nothing

Yeah something extremely scary like .10-.01% I'll take those odds, you have a much higher chance of dying in an auto accident.

1 Like

You can expect that number to skyrocket here in TN. They lifted the lockdown and people were out in droves. Guess we are about to find out how high the hospital and death rate really is. 

RdotC -
Sonester Sambo - 

Who cares about statistically insignificant events.  Young people have heart attacks and get cancer and die too, but we aren't all living in fear of our college aged people dying of those things because of how unlikely they are.  Why in this one case are we obsessing over the exceptions to the rule when we dont do it with any other medical issues?  As of the April 14 stats from NYC, they had 25 deaths of healthy people under age 45.  

You see this bullshit with how the virus is reported on all the time.  ONE person who is infected dies from a heart attack and the media is putting out headlines saying "coronavirus CAUSES woman's heart to burst."  What a load of shit.

2 Likes

Huggsbear - 
RdotC -
Sonester Sambo - 

Yeah something extremely scary like .10-.01% I'll take those odds, you have a much higher chance of dying in an auto accident.

You'll take those odds until it takes someone you care about... or yourself.

1 Like

Sonester Sambo -

Completely illogical. 

turducken -
RdotC -
Sonester Sambo - 

Who cares about statistically insignificant events.  Young people have heart attacks and get cancer and die too, but we aren't all living in fear of our college aged people dying of those things because of how unlikely they are.  Why in this one case are we obsessing over the exceptions to the rule when we dont do it with any other medical issues?  As of the April 14 stats from NYC, they had 25 deaths of healthy people under age 45.  

You see this bullshit with how the virus is reported on all the time.  ONE person who is infected dies from a heart attack and the media is putting out headlines saying "coronavirus CAUSES woman's heart to burst."  What a load of shit.

Heart attacks and cancer are not highly contagious. How this still needs to be explained to people is beyond me. 

3 Likes

turducken - 
RdotC -
Sonester Sambo - 

Well I have a family member that died... did not have heart issues, surely didn;t have cancer.

Died... to this virus... in her 30s, completely healthy.

Smilin like Rashad - 

Settle down, Nancy. The estimate was 2.2 million if the virus was allowed to spread unchecked with no measures taken.