Dresden Files on SciFi

I've read every Dresden Files book and I love the series but when I watched the season opener for the new TV series on SciFi I was so fucking disgusted that I didn't watch another episode until last night.

They ran a mini marathon of the Dresden Files last night and although they changed alot of stuff from the books I'm pretty impressed with the 2 episodes I watched last night and I'll be watching the new one Sunday night.

So what I'm saying is although it's not great, yet. It's getting better and could be a good show.

Watched the series first and liked it a great deal. Then I got the books, I've read 2 and half so far, and I am really enjoying them as well even though the series has some significant changes. Watched it last week and it had what I presume was the pilot episode which was closer to the first book.

I also picked up his Alera Codex or whatever its called. Read all three so far and though they were great.

I didn't care for the Alera Codex but me and the wife love the Dresden Files.

Enjoy and check out the Nightside books by Simon Green they aren't as good but they are along the same lines of the Dresden Files and Glenn Cook's Garret P.I. books are pretty decent.

I almost picked one of those Simon Green books the other day. He wrote a fantasy series Hawk and something that was decent. I'm working my very quickly thru Butcher's stuff, thanks for the recomendation.

Agree 100% Mule. Great fucking series of books, mediocre show that is improving. I'm really wondering how they'll handle Michael on the show and if they'll start bringing the Merlin into it. Lots of potential for great stories. Best of all, a new book is coming out soon and I can't wait.

The first Nightside book is kind of weak but the Agents of Light and Darkness is freaking great.

The only thing I don't like about the Nightside books is that you read the book and get to the last 10 pages and Green wraps it up real quick where as with the Dresden books Harry has everything figured out and you still have something like 50 pages left for some serious ass whoopin and about 5 pages of him being all maudlin with Michael/Murphy/Bob/etc.

I love the whole fantasy element set in the modern world but my main guilty pleasure is modern weapons and tactics against supernatural/superpowered enemies like Dog Soldiers or Stormwatch: Team Achilles.

What's the deal with the hockey stick?

Couldn't he just use a wand, a crystal ball or a staff?

In the book he has a staff and blasting rod but I guess the tv writers changed them to a hockey stick and a drumstick.

according to Jim Butcher on his website..the hockey stick and drumstick blend into "reality" more then a blasting rod or crystal ball..

I don't agree.. lol

LOVE the books!!! Series is OK.. picking up.. so I'll still watch.. for now.

Mule - I share your addiction.

how is "The Boys" doing under the new publisher?

Never heard of the book.

Caught an episode (with the wax hand) on USA late night.

Then watched two more episodes on Sci Fi (werewolf one and the one last night with the black fog)

Couple of questions.

1. Who is Bob exactly? Ghost, but why is he not on the other side? Why is he connected to Harry? Is he a 'good' guy? - because in the black fog episode he said "I have done some horrible things in my life"

2. Who is Morgan? He seems to be a prick. and That May chick is a real bitch.

3. In the black fog episode, Amber said that Harry is a something something (started with a M) and his mother and uncle were also the same.

4. How good of a magician is Harry? again in the black fog episode Murphy said "let me guess Harry was a prodigy" and Morgan said Harry was not.

Thanks

teh first episode sucked....haven't watched since......

"Harry killed his uncle with black magic but got out of being executed for it because it was in self defense. Morgan and Maya don't buy that Harry is innocent."

So why the did they come to the store? I would have been "You dont trust me? Then fuck off, find another store to hide out in"

"Morningstar, I believe. That's the family name of his mother and uncle. Wizardry is passed through the bloodline and the Morningstar line is apparently particularly powerful. "

ahhhh ok

Mteub, I'd give the later episodes a chance.

They are getting progressively better although they struggle with trying to get too much info into a 1 hour episode.

And Harry is alot more powerful than Morgan if he'd just learn to tap his power properly, not to mention the help from the Denarian.

I don't know about that Mule, Morgan has been a combat wizard for quite a while now. Dude was born early 19th century. Harry should be stronger than him eventually but it will probably take decades of training or some outside help like Lasciel.

True true but they keep hinting about how powerful Harry is becoming.

I'd have to reread the books but I'm pretty sure that everyone including the Merlin fear/respect how powerful Harry is/will be.

But then again, as much as I like Butcher his whole Eastern Martial Arts fetish turns my stomach.

I hate how bad ass they make Murphy out to be. I mean fuck how tough can a 110 lb woman be?

Yeah she's knows shit-kido but fuck she's still a little bird who'd take a serious beating. Plus I hate the bitch and I wish Harry would slap her on her ass and put his dick in her mouth.

LOL, I just consider Murphy's badassness as another example of magic in the series. I don't wanna spoil for you but White Night reveals a little bit about why the council is a little leery in regards to Harry.

I can suspend belief for magic and monsters and shit but when they try to make a 5 feet tall 110 pound chica out to be some kind of super bad ass aikido-ka.

I'd have respected it a little more if they had made her a judo-ka with a serious competive history along with some Dog Brothers style stickfighting training.

That along with firearms training would make her a serious bad ass no matter what her size.

Nah the asshole used to take Aikido so I think he's just making shit up to fool the normal weak stick geeks.

I mean hell how many people reading the Dresdend Files or watching the tv show actually have the background that most of us on the GeekGround have.

And damn it have you seen a picture of this guy?

Cut your fucking hair you look like a fat LARPER wanting to be a gay elf.

The cool smirk pic
http://www.orbitbooks.co.uk/orbit/images/authors/butcher-jim.jpg

The Glamour Shot
http://www.sfrevu.com/IMAGES/Authors/Jim_Butcher.jpg

"1. Who is Bob exactly? Ghost, but why is he not on the other side? Why is he connected to Harry? Is he a 'good' guy? - because in the black fog episode he said "I have done some horrible things in my life"

1. Who is Morgan? He seems to be a prick. and That May chick is a real bitch.

2. In the black fog episode, Amber said that Harry is a something something (started with a M) and his mother and uncle were also the same.

3. How good of a magician is Harry? again in the black fog episode Murphy said "let me guess Harry was a prodigy" and Morgan said Harry was not.

Thanks "

Depends if we're talking book or show. Bob is a fairy typte creature in the book dead wizard i nthe series.

BTW I HATE the series. I would have liked it better if they didn't base it off the DF. Harry doesn't act like the Harry in the books.