Drysdale: Rohskopf regrets retiring on the stool

Lightweight Max Rohskopf started fighting in 2018, and with a record of 5-0 got his shot at UFC on ESPN 11 on Saturday night. Bad news was he'd had just five fights, a toe injury, and he took the bout on just ten days. After two rounds vs. Austin Hubbard, a five year, 15-fight veteran of the sport, Rohskopf returned to his corner, and said he no longer wished to continue.

His corner, grappling great and 7-0 pro MMA fighter Robert Drysdale spent the one-minute break imploring Rohskopf to fight on, only calling the fight after an inspector asked Rohskopf if he wanted to continue, and was told no. Drysdale, who has the highest hopes for the fighter and lets him live in his home, received both criticism and support. During a recent interview with Ariel Helwani, Drysdale said Rohskopf regrets his decision.

“I knew that he was going to regret the decision. It was going to be one of the gravest mistakes of his life,” said Drysdale. “He regrets it already... I know that deep down, he didn’t want to quit.”

“He dreams about that UFC title every day of his life… In an emotional moment, a moment of weakness, he said ‘I don’t want to be here,’ but I know that’s not the case."

“Once he gassed he broke mentally. And him breaking mentally is what I was upset about. Because that’s not a physical health issue, that’s a matter of will. And that is what I was trying to fix in those 60 seconds. I did my best, and if I had 90 seconds to do it I would have done it, and if I had nine minutes I would have insisted for nine minutes to get back in there because I know that deep down he wants to fight.”

https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1275182905812062209

h/t Adam Guillen Jr. for MMA Mania

1 Like

Drysdale needs to crawl back under the rock in which he came from. He's making it worse for himself.

Mandible_Claw - 

Drysdale needs to crawl back under the rock in which he came from. He's making it worse for himself.

Why the dislike for Drysdale? Honest question, I dont know much about him and I’m too lazy to research. Thanks.

2 Likes

Second time I’ve seen Kirik use “retiring on the stool” when referring to Rohskopf’s fight. 

I haven’t seen anything about him retiring from MMA. I have seen Drysdale say that Rohskopf is still fighting and going to be a champion in the future. 

Is “retiring” the new clickbait word? 

OJTT-RayRay - 

Second time I’ve seen Kirik use “retiring on the stool” when referring to Rohskopf’s fight. 

I haven’t seen anything about him retiring from MMA. I have seen Drysdale say that Rohskopf is still fighting and going to be a champion in the future. 

It’s a euphemism for quitting the fight. Giving up. Throwing in the towel.

HYBRID JON -
Mandible_Claw - 

Why the dislike for Drysdale? Honest question, I dont know much about him and I’m too lazy to research. Thanks.

A coach shouldn’t be so public about it. 

But I guess the kid lives with Rob and his wife, so that's a different coaching vibe

As Uncle Chael often says in his infinite wisdom ... “a fighters greatest fear is never his opponent ... his greatest fear is exhaustion.” 

On a side note. It would have been interesting to see what Drysale would have accomplished in UFC, had he not failed two USADA tests with only one fight

1 Like

Drysdale is correct

Nobody said Jackson was a monster for ignoring GSP's groin injury and making him continue against Alves.

The only time to retire on the stool is when brain damage or paralysis make the risk not worth the reward of assuming victory will be achieved by continuing.

Not because youre too tired.

You can get a second wind, the other guy can get tired, you can cut him and have the doc stop it or land a big knee and win outta nowhere.

The UFC is not dealing with an athlete who quits on the stool on the biggest stage because of fatigue.

3 Likes

Naazim Richardson talking Shane Mosley out of quitting in between rounds.

Drysdale has tripled down on this and should never be allowed to corner again.

There was another boxer, can’t remember the name, but he went to his corner after a round and said he wanted to the fight stopped. Corner was like No. So the boxer got off his stool and walked to the ref and told him he was quitting.

Koga -

Drysdale has tripled down on this and should never be allowed to corner again.

He’s correct.  His fighter is done in the UFC because he gave up.  He is being forced to be vocal about it because the media and soft bitches on the UG are attacking him for doing his job.  

6 Likes
Colby Covid19ington -
OJTT-RayRay - 

So…semantics? 

Using the word “retired” in a headline is misleading. BJ Penn (and/or his corner) quit in between rounds. 

Did BJ “retire?” 

Clickbait bullshit. 

Still love your screen name though. 

1 Like
OJTT-RayRay -
Colby Covid19ington -
OJTT-RayRay - 

So…semantics? 

Using the word “retired” in a headline is misleading. BJ Penn (and/or his corner) quit in between rounds. 

Did BJ “retire?” 

Clickbait bullshit. 

dude you can retire from a bout. that’s a real thing. doesn’t mean the guy is looking for a new job. you are troubled by English the same way Jon Jones is troubled by spanish. you muppet.

4 Likes
OJTT-RayRay -
Colby Covid19ington -
OJTT-RayRay - 

So…semantics? 

Did BJ “retire?” 

Clickbait bullshit. 

It’s a common saying fuckwad

2 Likes
OJTT-RayRay -
Colby Covid19ington -
OJTT-RayRay - 

So…semantics? 

Did BJ “retire?” 

Clickbait bullshit. 

No - it’s actually the official result, nobody is just making that up. You’ve really never heard that result before?

Corner decides the fight is over = TKO (Corner Stoppage)

Fighter decides the fight is over = TKO (Retirement)

2 Likes

Trainers know their fighters better than anyone. If you have a fighter that has NEVER quit in training or in a fight indicate he's done (like Marquardt), the trainer knows to end it asap.

But not every fighter is Marquardt. Some quit more easily and need to be seriously pushed...like Teddy Atlas needed to push Michael Moorer.

Every fighter is different. We shouldnt be so quick to judge Drysdale.

I think that the comments I've seen here and on Facebook suggest that this depends on your perspective. 

Fighters and coaches know how much more you'd regret quitting on a stool. It will always sting so much more than going out to submission or a few strikes. You can always go out, take a weak shot, drop, give up and arm, leg or neck and tap. Ref will know to end quickly. You can always say "I got beat, I didn't quit". 

Then there's everyone else who right now are putting it on Drysdale. Saying all kinds of things about him. The thing is in two years if the kid is still fighting in the UFC he will always be known as a quitter and people will remember in retrospect how Drysdale tried to save him the pain of quitting. People rip on McGregor for his few submission losses imagine if he had quit on a stool instead.