DSLR/Fancy Cameras

Do you have one? What do you have? I am researching cameras and I'm not sure what I want yet. I know this shit is an expensive ass hobby. Never knew there were $2,000 lenses and shit and $6,000 cameras. Not going to go crazy with all that. Was looking at the Canon Rebel T7i, but now I'm leaning towards the Canon 80D or the 7D Mark II. Any of you nerds into photography?

Look into mirrorless cameras.  Theyre the next evolution from DSLR.  Essentially theyve taken a DSLR and taken out the R of DSLR.  Theres no viewfinder, or reflex mirror, just a digital screen.  Lighter, less noise, fewer moving parts, its the future.

i have both.  Use the mirrorless much more.

I've been into cameras for a long while, used to shoot film a ton.  For digital I've got a very low/mid camera by today's standards, an earlier 7D.  It's all about the glass though, if you go Canon check it's worth looking at investing in an L lens (or find a good version of the 50/1.8 - the one I had that got lost in Mexico when I loaned it to a friend was tack sharp).  

That said I haven't shot on that cam in forever, usually just use my phone anymore or if I'm shooting for fun (which is RARE anymore) busting out old film stuff.  Really not helping you much, just a long winded sub to the thread I guess.  First question would be what's your intended use of investing in a higher end photo setup?

I photography hard. Have two Nikon D4 bodies, a D3s, and a bunch of super nice lenses. I know Canon fairly well too.

What do you want to take pictures of?

StankieEdgar - I photography hard. Have two Nikon D4 bodies, a D3s, and a bunch of super nice lenses. I know Canon fairly well too.

nekkid ladies of course!

I usually tell people to get a cheap used body from Craigslist. You want to find the soccer dad who used it a few times for their kid's games or the rich dentist who took it out to take photos of birds or some shit. Don't buy from pro photographers especially anyone doing photojournalism.

Put your money into the lenses. As someone above suggested the 50mn 1.8 is a good cheap prime lens to start with- both Canon and Nikon have one. Depending on what you want to photograph I can give more specific advice.

TheAlchemist -
StankieEdgar - I photography hard. Have two Nikon D4 bodies, a D3s, and a bunch of super nice lenses. I know Canon fairly well too.

nekkid ladies of course!
Of course! A cheap body with a good sensor, like a newer rebel or 80D that OP mentioned, with a good prime lens should do the trick.

EFM -

Look into mirrorless cameras.  Theyre the next evolution from DSLR.  Essentially theyve taken a DSLR and taken out the R of DSLR.  Theres no viewfinder, or reflex mirror, just a digital screen.  Lighter, less noise, fewer moving parts, its the future.

i have both.  Use the mirrorless much more.

Is it better image quality in the mirror less? Who has the best, Sony or Fuji?

Leghound -

I've been into cameras for a long while, used to shoot film a ton.  For digital I've got a very low/mid camera by today's standards, an earlier 7D.  It's all about the glass though, if you go Canon check it's worth looking at investing in an L lens (or find a good version of the 50/1.8 - the one I had that got lost in Mexico when I loaned it to a friend was tack sharp).  

That said I haven't shot on that cam in forever, usually just use my phone anymore or if I'm shooting for fun (which is RARE anymore) busting out old film stuff.  Really not helping you much, just a long winded sub to the thread I guess.  First question would be what's your intended use of investing in a higher end photo setup?

I mostly use my phone, but I want to get into astrophotography and landscape stuff with better quality than my phone. 

StankieEdgar - I photography hard. Have two Nikon D4 bodies, a D3s, and a bunch of super nice lenses. I know Canon fairly well too.

Milky Way and mountain scenery when I vacation mostly. 

StankieEdgar - I usually tell people to get a cheap used body from Craigslist. You want to find the soccer dad who used it a few times for their kid's games or the rich dentist who took it out to take photos of birds or some shit. Don't buy from pro photographers especially anyone doing photojournalism.

Put your money into the lenses. As someone above suggested the 50mn 1.8 is a good cheap prime lens to start with- both Canon and Nikon have one. Depending on what you want to photograph I can give more specific advice.

That's the "nifty fifty" right? Gonna get that and a rokinon for stars if I go with the Canon body. 

Toiletclogger -
StankieEdgar - I photography hard. Have two Nikon D4 bodies, a D3s, and a bunch of super nice lenses. I know Canon fairly well too.

Milky Way and mountain scenery when I vacation mostly. 

Cool. You'll need a tripod and a body with a good sensor. All the newer bodies, even cheap ones like rebels, have good sensors.

Wide angle primes are good for that kind of thing and I think the mid-tier ones Canon makes are great.

Toiletclogger -
StankieEdgar - I usually tell people to get a cheap used body from Craigslist. You want to find the soccer dad who used it a few times for their kid's games or the rich dentist who took it out to take photos of birds or some shit. Don't buy from pro photographers especially anyone doing photojournalism.

That's the "nifty fifty" right? Gonna get that and a rokinon for stars if I go with the Canon body. 

Yup!

LUMIX GH5 for the win 

pharochuck -

LUMIX GH5 for the win 

I'll look it up. 

I am a Photoshop pro, but a camera-novice.

I have recently been getting back into it - after realizing that an acquaintance was a pro - he taught me some tricks, and pointed me to some Youtube channels to follow. I have watched probably 100+ videos in the past month. Reviews of camera, and lenses. Tips on lighting, and settings, etc.

I have the 60d + Canon 50mm 1.4. It's a huge pain in the ass, shooting with a 50mm and a NON-full frame camera.

I am considering getting the 6d Mark II this year. Also took a long look at the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens.

I've watched hundreds of these videos (often half-watching, while I am working)

DigitalRev TV
Kai W
Matt Granger

Windfall - I've watched hundreds of these videos (often half-watching, while I am working)

DigitalRev TV
Kai W
Matt Granger

Cool. I've been watching a lot of videos. Lots from FroKnowsPhotos. Right when I make up my mind about a camera, I learn about a new one. 

Windfall - I've watched hundreds of these videos (often half-watching, while I am working)

DigitalRev TV
Kai W
Matt Granger

I like that Asian guy. He's funny. Makes good videos. 

Toiletclogger - 

DigitalRev TV
Kai W
Matt Granger

I like that Asian guy. He's funny. Makes good videos. 

I've seen him drop a camera or lens, at least 5x. There is one where he drops it (a 5d Mark-something) at the top of an outdoor staircase/incline thing, and it literally slides 100+ feet.