Father died 'after downing whole bottle of tequila for a bet'
A 23-year-old Dominican man has died of alcohol poisoning after reportedly downing a whole bottle of tequila in one go for a £520 bet.
Kelvin Rafael Mejía approached a group at a nightclub in the Dominican Republic and bet that he could down a whole bottle of the Mexican alcohol, according to local media reports.
Mr Mejía completed the challenge and received his winnings of 30,000 pesos (£520).
But minutes later he became unable to stand and the young man collapsed in the club’s toilets and later died in hospital. The medical examiner confirmed that Mr Mejía had died of alcohol intoxication.
Local news outlet El Día reported that Mr Mejía had a two month old daughter.