Dustin Poirier Not Happy With UFC, Want Release.

Sounds like he found a better offer.

Ram1 - So he signed a contract agreeing to a compensation plan for a certain number of fights, and now he's upset because they won't give him more than what he agreed to... or am I missing something?

yea this is what im thiking.

wu jitsu - 
Ram1 - So he signed a contract agreeing to a compensation plan for a certain number of fights, and now he's upset because they won't give him more than what he agreed to... or am I missing something?

More likely that he thought he was in line for a big fight after the Alvarez win, and after pulling out of the Diaz fight, he doesn’t have a big fight lined up. Sounds like Ferguson is going to fight Holloway for the interim title, Conor is going to fight Cowboy, and Khabib is sitting until November. So Poirier thought he’d get a title shot, or at the very least be next in line after Ferguson if he was fighting Khabib.

Now Khabib is out a while, the winner of Ferguson and Max will be next, and the winner of Cowboy and Conor is after that. He thought he was getting a title shot early this year, and now even if he fights Al and wins, he’s still a year away from a title shot. Plus there’s rumors of Khabib vs GSP, or Khabib wanting to box in Russia.

Dude is just freaking out because he’s fighting and winning and not getting what he wants, but he’s ignoring that other guys have also been fighting and winning…1 fight ago he broke into the top 5. The other guys are higher on the food chain than him, and he’s not dealing with it well.

And now that he’s not getting the huge fight he wants, he’s asking for more money to fight Al. It’s a terrible strategy.

a fighter not happy with the UFC? This is a first.

Dude has been destroying studs lately. Give him a big fight??? Too bad the Nate fight fell through. That would have been great. 

He really should fight Conor. Promotion would be easy. Seems like a no brained to me 

RKing85 - a fighter not happy with the UFC? This is a first.

Yep. Way harder to find a fighter that's been happy throughout his career in the UFC. There have been a few company men but most top level UFC fighters have not been happy and threatened to leave. In the UFC it's pretty standard news but in other sports leagues it's a big story. 

I wonder how much more money can really be made in other promotions though.  I don't think they're paying more.  And yes, I know they get sponsorships, but it's not like they're fighitng in the UFC with all the eyes on them that it entails.  How many sets of eyes are watching DAZN?  And how much would sponsors be willing to pay for those sets of eyes?  How many people watch the PFL?

Sage Northcock -
taintpuncher -

Mattserra.jpg 

..... so we just hating on good fighters now??

Crymeariver.gif

nek -

I wonder how much more money can really be made in other promotions though.  I don't think they're paying more.  And yes, I know they get sponsorships, but it's not like they're fighitng in the UFC with all the eyes on them that it entails.  How many sets of eyes are watching DAZN?  And how much would sponsors be willing to pay for those sets of eyes?  How many people watch the PFL?

Bellator might offer more and One FC might

On his last fight he made:

Dustin Poirier:  $250,000 ($90,000 to show, $90,000 win bonus, $50,000 Performance of the Night bonus, $20,000 fight week incentive pay)

So in reality 90/90 deal and 20k sponsors.

I could easily see Bellator and One FC both offering him more and he’d make more then $20,000 in sponsorship.

With that said, the top end in the UFC with PPV revenue is likely more then either would offer so it becomes a question of how confident he is at getting the belt. He will likely get a small pay bump and fight Al on the card. 

He pussyed out of fighting Nate Diaz and Diaz was really training to fight the Diamond 

Midnight10 -

He pussyed out of fighting Nate Diaz and Diaz was really training to fight the Diamond 

I lvoe when a mud namer comes in here and calls a pro fighter a pussy. haha. Gotta love the internet. Yes, a pro fighter...is scared to fight.

BrckNoHitBk -
Midnight10 -

I lvoe when a mud namer comes in here and calls a pro fighter a pussy. haha. Gotta love the internet. Yes, a pro fighter...is scared to fight.

I was just thinking the same thing. I wonder if the keyboard killer would talk the same shit standing in front of Dustin. Me thinks that would be a negative. 

Eskimo -

The champion sets the tone for the division and Khabib has the whole thing fucked up with his suspension and religious holiday. No way Khabib ever fights more than twice a year.

That's pretty much how many times every champion fights a year. DC is an exception hes the most active champion the UFC has. It's been almost a year and Rose is still not even scheduled to fight. Most likely it will be over a year before Whittaker fights and hes only defended once since winning July 2017 . Woodley has only defended 4 times since winning July 2016. I'd have no problem if Khabib defended twice a year that's about average for a champion. Personally I think they should defend at least 3 times but 2 is at least average for a champion 

He should go win a million in wsof. Then see who wants him

taintpuncher -

Not hating, but instead of complaining and playing the victim he can just go the Cowboy route and fight whoever the UFC wants. If he’s as badass as he says he is then it doesn’t matter, he will win no matter what. But instead he airs his dirty passive aggressive laundry on social medi. Weak move tbh 

Agree with this. It’s tough to not get what you want. But to then say you want to take your ball and go home is just off putting. 

Morgz -
taintpuncher -

Not hating, but instead of complaining and playing the victim he can just go the Cowboy route and fight whoever the UFC wants. If he’s as badass as he says he is then it doesn’t matter, he will win no matter what. But instead he airs his dirty passive aggressive laundry on social medi. Weak move tbh 

Agree with this. It’s tough to not get what you want. But to then say you want to take your ball and go home is just off putting. 

He isn’t wanting to take his ball and go home, he wants to take it somewhere else if he can get a better price to play, and get somewhere that gives at least a tiny shit about if their fighters are happy. 

This is a work.

wu jitsu - 

dp more then sells ppvs and seats to earn 500k/500k plus bonuses

he sold 2 cheap

starboy - 
wu jitsu - 

dp more then sells ppvs and seats to earn 500k/500k plus bonuses

he sold 2 cheap

I don’t think he’s worth anywhere near 500k/500k, but that doesn’t matter. What does matter is that he agreed to fight a certain number of fights at a certain rate of pay. This isn’t a regular job where you can quit if you find a new job that pays better, he entered into a legally binding contract, so he can fulfill his side of the contract and renegotiate for 500k/500k, or he can sit on the shelf and waste his career away.