DVD drive problem!

I recently bought my sister a new Dell computer. It has dual drives (cd-rom and dvd burner). Now, the problem is that the dvd drive just doesn't open. You press the button on the drive and it doens't open. The light goes on though. I tried to go to the properties and click "eject" but it doesn't seem to have any effect eigther.

What else can i do except calling Dell tech support and talking to some indian who is going to tell me to restart the computer or someting. Also, it's not that convinient to send the whole comptuer back u know.

Chances are they wont have you send the whole system back. Although you don't want to it's best to call their tech support if for no other reason then making sure you don't void your warranty. Chances are they'll run through a few things to try and help you, then if it doesn't work they'll send you out a drive so you can swap it out. I don't know if they send out drives, but that's probably the most economical solution, better then having you send in the whole system

They will send out a tech to replace it most likely. Be prepared for the most annoying tech support in the world next to HP...

Thanks guys. If i open the computer I will probably void the 1 year warranty i have. I will try to give them a call first then take it to one of my tech friends.

My suggestion is to turn the computer off and take a straightened paper clip and stick it the little hole that is on all dvd/cdrom drives (A paperclip fits perfectly inside that little hole on the front of the drive). Push it in until the tray pops out. I know that won't fix your problem, but you can get the door opened to retrieve the cd/dvd in the tray. Assuming there is something in there. Then try rebooting and see if that helps fix the problem. Hope that helps.

-vibe808

"My suggestion is to turn the computer off and take a straightened paper clip and stick it the little hole that is on all dvd/cdrom drives (A paperclip fits perfectly inside that little hole on the front of the drive). Push it in until the tray pops out. I know that won't fix your problem, but you can get the door opened to retrieve the cd/dvd in the tray. Assuming there is something in there. Then try rebooting and see if that helps fix the problem. Hope that helps. "

I tried the pin and it just went into the whole and nothing happened. It didn't eject the drive.. strange cause it worked on my other comptuers.