Dyah Davis Scores First-Round KO

Dyah Davis Scores First-Round KO
BoxingInsider.com

Dyah Ali Davis declared himself a prospect to be reckoned with in the light heavyweight division with a first-round knockout of Shannon 'Trouble' Miller on Friday night in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.

Davis, the son of 1976 Olympic gold medalist Howard Davis Jr., raised him ledger to 12-1 (7 KO's) and will now transfer to Las Vegas to resume training with Floyd Mayweather Sr. Miller, who previously had gone the six-round distance with current WBC Light Heavyweight champ Chad Dawson, saw his record drop to 23-41-8.

Howard Davis, who trained and cornered his son for this fight, discusses the performance:

Boxinginsider: Talk about Dyah's result.

Howard Davis Jr.: "He knocked him out in the first round. 2:43 of the first round.."

Boxinginsider: Well there isn't much to complain about that.

Howard Davis Jr.: "Not at all. Especially when you know he fought Chad Dawson and went the distance with Chad Dawson. I told him it should be a test. Every now and then you should have a test. He said, I don't care. It doesn't matter who you put in front of me. He's got a lot of confidence. He's been doing very well in training. He put the guy away in pretty good fashion."

Boxinginsider: To your critical eye, were there any mistakes made?

Howard Davis Jr.: "One mistake. When he went after him to finish he should have used the jab more to set it up. He went after him kind of flailing away. I told him it has to be organized chaos. It's chaos but it has to be organized."

Boxinginsider: Your grade for Dyah on this victory?

Howard Davis Jr.: "I give him definitely an A-. Because he should have been a little more methodical about stopping him. But they stopped the fight."

26-year-old Davis will now go back to working with Floyd Mayweather Sr..

Howard Davis won gold in the 1976 games not in 1980!

thanks, fixed that typo.

Congats!